Quote:
Originally Posted by buckybadger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3macster View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenGT View Post
I'm not sure what you're talking about but there are plenty of people who own both brands.

Enthusiast like myself who own M cars are not going to stick around for Bmw to continue the strange design language.

I didn't buy Bmw for what it cost. I own Bmw for the way it makes you feel the driving experience and so forth.. if I wanted a car to go to point a and point B. I would've bought a Honda or a Volkswagen or a Lexus
I agree. Why buy a car and pay a $100K grand only to get "used" to the look of that big grill. I don't want to be brainwashed by BMW. There are multiple options out there for enthusiasts.
It's a big grill but I'm already used to mine. It's hard to justify another 50- 100k to buy a Porsche because I don't like the grill. There's plenty to not like about the Porsche as well - not exterior design but price, cost of maintenance, lack of room for kids, etc. there's always Mazda or Toyota if you can't take it anymore
I'm talking from a Enthusiast's point of view.
You are changing the topic.
Whatever that means. You said $100k for a grill you don't like. That's Porsche territory for a 718 at least anyway. Best of luck to your rarified enthusiast-ism!
You are not an enthusiast.
Bummer. Honestly at this point in my life I'm more "enthusiastic" about my kids having fun riding in a mere 430 convertible or going on family adventures in our mere base X5 than racing around mountains blowing money on upper echelon race cars. Maybe one day I'll be recognized as an enthusiast again. One can only dream and hope of such a recognition!
Appreciate 2
      05-29-2022, 12:00 AM   #178
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Came just for the comments. You guys didn't disappoint lol.
      05-29-2022, 02:13 AM   #179
sk8funk
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
really entertaining to be honest
Appreciate 2
      05-29-2022, 02:53 AM   #180
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm not sure what you're talking about but there are plenty of people who own both brands.

Enthusiast like myself who own M cars are not going to stick around for Bmw to continue the strange design language.

I didn't buy Bmw for what it cost. I own Bmw for the way it makes you feel the driving experience and so forth.. if I wanted a car to go to point a and point B. I would've bought a Honda or a Volkswagen or a Lexus
I agree. Why buy a car and pay a $100K grand only to get "used" to the look of that big grill. I don't want to be brainwashed by BMW. There are multiple options out there for enthusiasts.
It's a big grill but I'm already used to mine. It's hard to justify another 50- 100k to buy a Porsche because I don't like the grill. There's plenty to not like about the Porsche as well - not exterior design but price, cost of maintenance, lack of room for kids, etc. there's always Mazda or Toyota if you can't take it anymore
I'm talking from a Enthusiast's point of view.
You are changing the topic.
Whatever that means. You said $100k for a grill you don't like. That's Porsche territory for a 718 at least anyway. Best of luck to your rarified enthusiast-ism!
You are not an enthusiast.
Bummer. Honestly at this point in my life I'm more "enthusiastic" about my kids having fun riding in a mere 430 convertible or going on family adventures in our mere base X5 than racing around mountains blowing money on upper echelon race cars. Maybe one day I'll be recognized as an enthusiast again. One can only dream and hope of such a recognition!
Ok 👍
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2022, 05:36 AM   #181
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Same.

Poochie window windows comment :

Bring on the full reveal already BMW.
      05-29-2022, 06:33 AM   #182
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Quote:
Same.

Poochie window windows comment :

Bring on the full reveal already BMW.
👍🏻

It's sad a whole new generation of kids are not going to know where the phrase "wind or roll up/down the windows" originated from or a "cassette tape 🤷🏻" is what made a music in vehicles popular…

Attached Images

Appreciate 2
JustChris17500.50
chrisk03153.00
      05-29-2022, 07:57 AM   #183
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM33 View Post
Quote:
Damn, I'm unfortunately out the BMW game if a G87 M2 is going to start at over 65k..🥲

I guess it's not meant to be and instead a 400 Z or manual Supra is in the stars for me..

If this is indeed the case, BMW obviously forget (or no longer cares) why the M2 was so inherently popular and the original core demographic it was suppose to be targeted to.. #Sad

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markewi...laus-frohlich/

Inflation and Demand for M cars like the M2 make a price increase necessary for the M2. Why would any business willfully leave profit on the table? Businesses exist to make money and maximize shareholder value.

Just take more time and save more dollars for a reasonable downpayment and you could eventually get into a new M2. Start small by saving a little extra dollars each month.
Inflation is a thing but BMW is assembling the M2 in Mexico, so that "Made in Mexico" endorsement allows them to take advantage of the free trade agreement the US has with Mexico (NAFTA), saving them like 10% per vehicle than before when it was imported from Leipzig, not to mention the lower labor rates.

If BMW increase the price of the car, while still saving money on import cost, they are being some greedy fvcks. So, I don't have any mercy for them if they want to overcharge for the vehicle and cut corners.

Maybe I'll change my mind when I see everything in totality but if the headlines now is 65k+ for an M2, that's currently a hard pass for me.
spot on … milking both bottom and top lines while using clar hybrid platform instead of optimized rwd like prior models
Appreciate 2
Poochie9104.50
chrisk03153.00
      05-29-2022, 08:11 AM   #184
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
👍🏻

It's sad a whole new generation of kids are not going to know where the phrase "wind or roll up/down the windows" originated from or a "cassette tape 🤷🏻" is what made a music in vehicles popular…

"I don't know the logistics of it...," LMFAO
chrisk03153.00
      05-29-2022, 08:14 AM   #185
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Porsche has become the standard 'bro' preference these days, like the Rolex of cars. Well there's more to cars than Porsche, just like there's more to watches than Rolex.

I've driven lots of Porsches over the years, and the last time I shopped for a car it was the 1M vs. Cayman R. I enthusiastically and happily chose the 1M. They were similarly priced then.

Porsches are technical machines. They are built with some enthusiasm in mind but more commonly built with technical excellence and focus. Despite those being seemingly positive features of an automobile; I have found it doesn't necessarily translate into fun.

They feel cold and technical and capable, but I want something that doesn't feel perfect. I want character like old cars have. I don't want the fastest car or the most perfect car—I want something that my kid and me can laugh driving around in. Which brings me to my 2nd point—-1 year after buying my 1M we had a kid. We have raised our kid ONLY in the 1M. If I'd bought the Cayman that certainly couldn't have happened. The 1M has been my daily driver and only car for 8 years now.

Porsches and BMWs aren't really comparable they are entirely different in their ethos and focus. To me it's pretty sad how Porsche went from a niche sports car maker to a mainstream bro-mobile—but they still make great cars, just not for my needs or wishes.

If someone wants a sports coupe that is enthusiastic and fun and can really be an only car and family car—-I think any M2 is a great choice and this new M2 will probably be a great choice. The small, enthusiastic, practical BMW sports coupe has its OWN genre. It doesn't need Porsche comparisons endlessly—
EXE462100.00
AndrewC198910932.50
      05-29-2022, 08:30 AM   #186
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
Quote:
👍🏻

"I don't know the logistics of it...," LMFAO
I'm 38 and these kids make me feel as old as a WW2 veteran.. 🥹
Appreciate 2
JustinHEMI7445.00
chrisk03153.00
      05-29-2022, 09:03 AM   #187
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:

These always cracked me up too.

Tag18192.50
      05-29-2022, 09:19 AM   #188
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
Quote:

These always cracked me up too.

That's how kids are going to look at iDrives with actual physical buttons in 15 years 😂

That's funny and I feel their pain but those kids are just slow, I feel like I even if never used a rotary phone, I would still figure it rather quickly.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2022, 10:04 AM   #189
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Quote:
Damn, I'm unfortunately out the BMW game if a G87 M2 is going to start at over 65k..��

I guess it's not meant to be and instead a 400 Z or manual Supra is in the stars for me..

If this is indeed the case, BMW obviously forget (or no longer cares) why the M2 was so inherently popular and the original core demographic it was suppose to be targeted to.. #Sad

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markewi...laus-frohlich/

Let's just wait and see, too much speculation, pricing will be revealed soon enough.

With respect to Porsche, only one that have always tickle my fancy is the GT3 and lately GT4. Porsche cars these days attract a certain type, aside from the disillusioned former M fanboys. Their cars are now the quintessential status symbols for people who aren't even that much of an enthusiast which I find off-putting.

Last edited by EXE46; 05-29-2022 at 10:12 AM..
Appreciate 2
Poochie9104.50
AndrewC198910932.50
      05-29-2022, 10:46 AM   #190
FrozenGT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40i - Lexus NX300 F

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewC1989 View Post
Quote:
BMW is losing more and more people to Porsche.
Lol, are you trying to say ppl are leaving BMW in droves and running to Porsche? Most BMW owners are not cross shopping with Porsches, only wealthy people can afford a real Porsche. The typical BMW owner can probably only afford a cayman or a macan, neither of which is both practical and sporty. BMWs are good all rounders that are reasonably priced. You're not getting your kids and golf clubs in the back seat of a cayman or 911 and you're not having fun canyon carving in a macan or cayenne. You can do all of that in a bmw M car and it will cost you much less.
Right on 🙌

It's perplexing and tedious that folks here, ad nauseam, compares a mid-tier BMW to any model of Porsches.

If anyone, including myself, who has the means to comfortable opt for an equivalent spec Porsche, wouldn't even sneeze at a BMW and that's not taking anything away from BMW as an automotive brand in general, just a sobering fact of life.

It reminds me of the time I could of afforded a mansion on the hills but instead opted for a 12X9 roach motel in Alphabet City - 'cause you know, loyalty or whatever 🙄

Porsche and BMW is not on the same playing field, they are completely different caliber of vehicles, as Porsche is a vehicle you aspire to from a BMW, not one replace it with. So these folks making such outlandish comparisons need to stay in their lane..
You sound jealous.. I mean people can purchase whatever they want. No need to justify how you feel by whatever you want ..just like people spend thousand dollars on a pair of tennis shoes that doesn't mean that they are better than the $500 pair of sneakers.

I don't know why people come in here and want to justify value..people buy Bmw because they want the best bang for their buck. On a second hand you have a lot of people who are out of her league with BMWs who can't really afford them and they try to pretend they can.. so those are the people that normally complain and bitch about how Bmw was unreliable.

Bottom line is you buy an M5 CS as your daily driver and you have a GT3 as your weekend car.

Add yes I'm catering to people who actually own real M cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2022, 10:47 AM   #191
FrozenGT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40i - Lexus NX300 F

Oh FYI- the new G87 M2 CS will be near 100K.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2022, 01:01 PM   #192
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by soflacarguy View Post
Lmaoooo

All joking aside, MY22 m340 base price is 55k, and MY22 m3 base price is 70k. I know it’s not apples to apples but some of the features that are standard on m3 (and not on m340) are the merino leather (vs free sensatec or upgraded vernasca), Go Love cockpit, convenience and premium packages.

If they stick with this formula we’re looking at an MY23 m2 base price of at least 65k. Im picturing something like “starting at 64,100” anyway.

These numbers are all before factoring in destination charges.
Guess you haven't come across this thread yet. The 2023 base M3 is going to be $72,800, a price jump of $2,700 or nearly 4%. Wait until you see the price increases for the competition models.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2022, 03:59 PM   #193
chrisk03
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Lol, are you trying to say ppl are leaving BMW in droves and running to Porsche? Most BMW owners are not cross shopping with Porsches, only wealthy people can afford a real Porsche. The typical BMW owner can probably only afford a cayman or a macan, neither of which is both practical and sporty. BMWs are good all rounders that are reasonably priced. You're not getting your kids and golf clubs in the back seat of a cayman or 911 and you're not having fun canyon carving in a macan or cayenne. You can do all of that in a bmw M car and it will cost you much less.
Would agree with some of your comments, but have you driven a Macan? You'd be surprised, if not, especially on a track. I bet it's 90-95% of an M2 for most (sporty) people and more practical, if that's what one wants and needs...and not the GTS or Turbo. It's pretty amazing what Porsche did with it.

That said, would love to add a new M2, but so far very disappointed with the looks I've seen and hate the new tacked on dash BMW is putting in its cars. Depending on final outcome, I'm guessing I'll still prefer the present M2Comp or M2C.
      05-29-2022, 04:39 PM   #194
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
BMW is losing more and more people to Porsche.
You sound jealous.. I mean people can purchase whatever they want. No need to justify how you feel by whatever you want ..just like people spend thousand dollars on a pair of tennis shoes that doesn't mean that they are better than the $500 pair of sneakers.

I don't know why people come in here and want to justify value..people buy Bmw because they want the best bang for their buck. On a second hand you have a lot of people who are out of her league with BMWs who can't really afford them and they try to pretend they can.. so those are the people that normally complain and bitch about how Bmw was unreliable.

Bottom line is you buy an M5 CS as your daily driver and you have a GT3 as your weekend car.

Add yes I'm catering to people who actually own real M cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk03 View Post
Quote:
Would agree with some of your comments, but have you driven a Macan? You'd be surprised, if not, especially on a track. I bet it's 90-95% of an M2 for most (sporty) people and more practical, if that's what one wants and needs...and not the GTS or Turbo. It's pretty amazing what Porsche did with it.

That said, would love to add a new M2, but so far very disappointed with the looks I've seen and hate the new tacked on dash BMW is putting in its cars. Depending on final outcome, I'm guessing I'll still prefer the present M2Comp or M2C.

I didn't realize a Porsche Macan was that relatively cheap ( 54k).

The last time I was browsing the Porsche website, the cheapest Porsche I saw was a bare-bones 4 cylinder 718 listed for 75k..

I guess I have to mentally adjust my outlook on some Porsches models and their prices..

Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      05-29-2022, 04:49 PM   #195
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Inflation is a thing but BMW is assembling the M2 in Mexico, so that "Made in Mexico" endorsement allows them to take advantage of the free trade agreement the US has with Mexico (NAFTA), saving them like 10% per vehicle than before when it was imported from Leipzig, not to mention the lower labor rates.

If BMW increase the price of the car, while still saving money on import cost, they are being some greedy fvcks. So, I don't have any mercy for them if they want to overcharge for the vehicle and cut corners.

Maybe I'll change my mind when I see everything in totality but if the headlines now is 65k+ for an M2, that's currently a hard pass for me.
If you estimate the base G87 at $62k. Builds into $70k range won't be that difficult. Paint-$650, Int Carbon-$950, Exec Pack-$1550, Buckets-$3800, Dest-$995 = $69,945
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2022, 05:08 PM   #196
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3WC View Post
Quote:

If you estimate the base G87 at $62k. Builds into $70k range won't be that difficult. Paint-$650, Int Carbon-$950, Exec Pack-$1550, Buckets-$3800, Dest-$995 = $69,945
It's a great all-around package but that much for transportation gives me the chills. Then you figure with the current market they are not offering any discounts for the foreseeable future, so the price is the price.

Add 9% for sales tax and that's $6,000, you're then in the low 70s out the door for a lightly optioned version..

I want one but I don't know if it's worth the price of admission.. But we'll see when the official numbers drop. 😗
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2022, 08:07 PM   #197
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3WC View Post
Quote:

Don't forget carbon roof. Would be a shame if you needed a 4k package to get it.
      05-29-2022, 09:37 PM   #198
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
Don't forget carbon roof. Would be a shame if you needed a 4k package to get it.
Yeah, I just wasn't sure if it will be standard or an option. Could even be a Comp package standard item. Have no clue.
Appreciate 0