03-19-2023, 07:45 PM   #1
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
The Sketch Monkey: G87 vs RS3

TL;DW: He likes the G87 exterior design more than when he first toyed with it, it has grown on him. Still hates the way the giant screen is tacked to the dash like an afterthought...

03-19-2023, 08:02 PM   #2
mtoosexy
Captain
Rep
Drives: It like I stole It.

Garage List
i watched this video a while back and could only get through the first minute or so
automatic and awd vs manual and rwd
is there any more comparison needed?
I am an audi fanboi!!!! but since they dont offer "fun" options anymore... i will go with something else
      03-19-2023, 09:55 PM   #3
Rx-7ames
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 M2

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
TL;DW: He likes the G87 exterior design more than when he first toyed with it, it has grown on him. Still hates the way the giant screen is tacked to the dash like an afterthought...

https://youtu.be/T2NPb5KdxFI
It absolutely was an afterthought. The dash was designed for iDrive 7 and looks great. And now with iDrive 8? Ugh. Looks pretty bad. But I'm not going to turn it down.

My dealership had an M3 client that backed out of his 2023 M3 order after he saw the dash
I he ended up buying a 2023 M4 from another dealer. I wouldn't go to that extreme.
Appreciate 1
LTJohn140.00
      03-19-2023, 10:27 PM   #4
M_Power Rob
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rx-7ames View Post
It absolutely was an afterthought. The dash was designed for iDrive 7 and looks great. And now with iDrive 8? Ugh. Looks pretty bad. But I'm not going to turn it down.

My dealership had an M3 client that backed out of his 2023 M3 order after he saw the dash
I he ended up buying a 2023 M4 from another dealer. I wouldn't go to that extreme.
Dont know how it will look in person but comparatively I really like the i8 big screen on my '23 G42 M240. To each their own, I guess.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2023, 11:07 PM   #5
T_U_D
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G05 LCI

FYI, This video was posted many months ago.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2023, 11:33 PM   #6
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Power Rob View Post
Dont know how it will look in person but comparatively I really like the i8 big screen on my '23 G42 M240. To each their own, I guess.
Definitely a polarizing feature, but BMW isn't stupid, there are plenty of customers who want this stuff, probably exceeding the old grinders like myself who prefer iDrive 6 or 7 and their smaller displays. I'd be much more likely to tolerate iDrive 8 if the gauge cluster display was more configurable, offering some conventional round dials as an option, as almost everybody else does. Why BMW insists on making it look like a video game is a head-scratcher to me. Super simple to add more options and broaden the appeal.
      03-20-2023, 12:49 AM   #7
Rx-7ames
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 M2

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
Definitely a polarizing feature, but BMW isn't stupid, there are plenty of customers who want this stuff, probably exceeding the old grinders like myself who prefer iDrive 6 or 7 and their smaller displays. I'd be much more likely to tolerate iDrive 8 if the gauge cluster display was more configurable, offering some conventional round dials as an option, as almost everybody else does. Why BMW insists on making it look like a video game is a head-scratcher to me. Super simple to add more options and broaden the appeal.
Totally agree. There's no reason why we can't choose exactly what our display looks like.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 07:37 AM   #8
LTJohn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche GT3

I loved the early, integrated dash in the M3, and it had just as much info coming from it.

Also, the finishing and stitching of the binnacle over the driver display had an expensive "cockpit" feel. I've always hated the laziness of the "iPad on the Dash" that became fashionable over the years and now we've advanced to have a huge computer monitor tacked on with pegs.

Note too, that it removes many cost constraints that good design imposes. The new mustang has an identical display for $30K less...but you are not going to see the Mclaren dash in a mustang. It costs a bundle to manufacture and install integrated displays.

Still like the car, and like most, will get over it, but it still disappoints.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 07:59 AM   #9
zero21
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTJohn View Post
I loved the early, integrated dash in the M3, and it had just as much info coming from it.

Also, the finishing and stitching of the binnacle over the driver display had an expensive "cockpit" feel. I've always hated the laziness of the "iPad on the Dash" that became fashionable over the years and now we've advanced to have a huge computer monitor tacked on with pegs.

Note too, that it removes many cost constraints that good design imposes. The new mustang has an identical display for $30K less...but you are not going to see the Mclaren dash in a mustang. It costs a bundle to manufacture and install integrated displays.

Still like the car, and like most, will get over it, but it still disappoints.
With the rate of tech advancement, modularity is actually a key design indicator of well engineered products IMO.
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2023, 08:40 AM   #10
ronin13013
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

People hated the double hump in the e92 M3 and opted out of I drive just to avoid it. I get it but I dont mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zero21 View Post
With the rate of tech advancement, modularity is actually a key design indicator of well engineered products IMO.
Appreciate 0