home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

06-16-2022, 02:08 PM   #23
BMthusiast
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM F80 M-DCT

This thread just got interesting. Honestly, I think about these type of things all the time. Mainly because when I'm out driving for some reason other enthusiast cars always want to race or show me that their car has power. It's just so strange to me because we don't know each other, never will, but you need to mob your vehicle to prove a point to a stranger who's also in a performance car? Sometimes I enjoy it because it's friendly but when a driver gets aggro I can tell they're mobbing just to act tough with their car.

As far as turning heads, personally I love seeing other people take pride in their car's aesthetics and I love an individualistic approach to a build. But people are different, and some are attention seeking when they dress to impress while others just wanna add to the beauty without being comparative and competitive about it.
Red_sir131.50
      06-16-2022, 04:26 PM   #24
702MoxyBMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i purple

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachinesWithSouls View Post
It's a nice car, and the add-ons look good, but I always find myself asking "why?"

For what the entire kit costs, you have an M240 that's more expensive than an M2, but not as capable.

Still, looks the business.
I would agree with you here. The one catch is the M2 isn't available for new purchase and warranty so the M240i is all you get for another year or so. Total wait is about two years between the old M2 to this upcoming G series. It is a bit crazy to add all that up.
      06-16-2022, 05:09 PM   #25
imperfectluck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 20' F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack123 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Quote:
It's a nice car, and the add-ons look good, but I always find myself asking "why?"

For what the entire kit costs, you have an M240 that's more expensive than an M2, but not as capable.

I get your point but it works like this:

Fully accessorized M240i which will turn heads with its styling, or for the same price you could have a bone stock plain looking M2 that might fly under the radar. Or fully accessorize the M2 so it stands apart, then you're into base model M3 territory. It keeps going on like this up the model range.

Also not all people want the ride factors that come with a full M car-if it's a daily commute vehicle that sits in traffic for several hours a day, the m240i might be better? Maybe they don't want the stiffness, or loudness?
each day I wake up and thank myself that I don't make decisions that are based around the idea that i want to "turn heads"
I highly doubt you would even drive a BMW at all if that were true. Lemme guess, you live in a non-descript house, you wear zero jewelry, zero brandname clothing etc.? If the above at a minimum aren't true, then you certainly make decisions to "turn heads" (i.e. impress others). I get it, it's real edgy to act like you don't care at all about validation from others, but if we are being realistic, we all know intuitively as humans that is a fantasy.
Eh, be careful with this statement, some folks absolutely like anonymity. Others downright don't give a shit about others validating them as they validate themselves internally.

I don't like people noticing my car as they attempt to park next to me with no regards to how close they can be, if my F87 and F90 could be invisible to the people I come back parked next to me I'd feel much better. To each their own of course but I mention this not to derail the thread but some folks enjoy trying to take things that aren't theirs and are head turning items.
Appreciate 2
P111569.00
Red_sir131.50
      06-16-2022, 05:12 PM   #26
imperfectluck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 20' F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuato2084 View Post
This thread just got interesting. Honestly, I think about these type of things all the time. Mainly because when I'm out driving for some reason other enthusiast cars always want to race or show me that their car has power. It's just so strange to me because we don't know each other, never will, but you need to mob your vehicle to prove a point to a stranger who's also in a performance car? Sometimes I enjoy it because it's friendly but when a driver gets aggro I can tell they're mobbing just to act tough with their car.

As far as turning heads, personally I love seeing other people take pride in their car's aesthetics and I love an individualistic approach to a build. But people are different, and some are attention seeking when they dress to impress while others just wanna add to the beauty without being comparative and competitive about it.
Had to follow up on this one as I 100% agree and it's quite common in NYC for other people to see an M car and be like "hey, let me try to tailgate him until he wants to race." This level of attention most times is unwanted when we are all just trying to enjoy our machines.
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2022, 07:35 PM   #27
PARTS@STBMW
Rep
Drives: BMW

Love this model with M Performance Parts!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2022, 08:50 PM   #28
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

A plain looking M2…

Quote:

Fully accessorized M240i which will turn heads with its styling, or for the same price you could have a bone stock plain looking M2 that might fly under the radar. Or fully accessorize the M2 so it stands apart, then you're into base model M3 territory. It keeps going on like this up the model range.

Also not all people want the ride factors that come with a full M car-if it's a daily commute vehicle that sits in traffic for several hours a day, the m240i might be better? Maybe they don't want the stiffness, or loudness?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2022, 09:09 PM   #29
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack123 View Post
I highly doubt you would even drive a BMW at all if that were true. Lemme guess, you live in a non-descript house, you wear zero jewelry, zero brandname clothing etc.? If the above at a minimum aren't true, then you certainly make decisions to "turn heads" (i.e. impress others). I get it, it's real edgy to act like you don't care at all about validation from others, but if we are being realistic, we all know intuitively as humans that is a fantasy.
Not to get argumentative here, but as men (or women), you'll eventually get to a stage where you truly don't care what others think about you.

Some just get there sooner than others.

Personally, I only care about what my family thinks of me.

Appreciate 3
      06-17-2022, 04:52 AM   #30
R44 Performance
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Part of the process%E2%80%A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mockngbrd View Post
So, I was once again very very very fortunate to have been invited back to Germany a couple of weeks back for the launch of the i7 and 7-Series and since I was there, a trip to the Welt and museum just had to be done.

Not much has changed in the museum but the Welt now has a BMW i section and there also had a few cars towards the back fully decked out in BMW M Performance parts. One of those cars was a M240i, so here it is.

For the full story click here: https://garage36.wordpress.com/2022/...-and-its-shop/

This M5 was pretty cool too.

Here's what I ended up bringing home

Awesome spec! Don't see a lot in white but it looks great.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2022, 08:12 AM   #31
bbadillo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 Black 135i, JB+

Quote:

I feel the very same. I could see why adding a thing here or there to kind of customize your car with nice extra m parts. But eventually it’s like. Just get an m2. The overall body and platform is just better in the m version once you start adding m parts everywhere.
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2022, 08:13 AM   #32
bbadillo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 Black 135i, JB+

Quote:

Loudness of sound. That visual loudness though.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2022, 02:42 PM   #33
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240x, 2007 Honda VFR

I've always thought that BMW Performance Parts should be renamed BMW Bling Parts since so very few of the offerings have to do with performance.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2022, 10:21 AM   #34
G42M240
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

I really just want the exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2022, 10:39 AM   #35
kumizi206
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 m240i

Looks like a 15 year olds wet dream.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2022, 11:30 AM   #36
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep

I agree it's a "head turner"
if i saw the car it would definitely grab my attention...
and i would mutter to myself "someone sure knows how to uglify a M240."
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2022, 11:45 AM   #37
Quadruple VANOS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

I'd like to see this same specification except on a black M240i, with the wheels dark gray instead of black. The decals could work on a black car.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 04:20 AM   #38
mockngbrd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1974 BMW 2002 / Toyota Mark II

I can help to chip in here for a part of the reason for these "M Performance" parts.

Similarly, I was also wondering why would BMW bother offering such bits when the aftermarket scene offers so much more.

So from my conversations with a German friend, it's all to do with TUV homologation and engineering approval. Because getting such certification is a very time-consuming and $$$-intensive process, not many smaller tuners are willing to get their parts homologated for Germany which means there are not as many aftermarket parts for cars as the rest of the world gets. An example he mentioned was to go look at BBS's wheel catalogue for Germany vs the rest of the World. Because each homologation process is tied to a specific car model (eg: E90) + its specific model level (E90 + 335i).

Meaning, you cannot legally use a BBS wheel that has been homologated on an E90 335i on an E90 328i if it has not been homologated also for the 328i. And yes, you can be stopped on the road by the police for such infringements. Or that was what I was told, so I could be wrong.

This is also why you see German tuners (ACS/Hartge/etc etc) offering "fully" tuned cars, cos they need to homologate almost every single thing. And why their parts also cost so much $$$.

And so to allow an easy way of customising their cars without any TUV hassle, BMW offers these "tuner" parts from the factory direct. You don't have to slap them on, but they offer it as an easy way to customise your car when ordering it.

Also a reason why there are so many "spec/trim" levels for a single model.

Last edited by mockngbrd; 06-20-2022 at 04:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 09:11 PM   #39
mockngbrd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1974 BMW 2002 / Toyota Mark II

Quote:
Originally Posted by danallxt View Post
the following is in response to Mockngbird in Singapore...not applicable elsewhere.
I was talking about Germany and why BMW actually produces/sells these parts. TUV is not in Singapore. :|

The photos of this car were taken at the Welt and my info was from Nicolas of Bavarian Econs who had to fully go through the TUV homologation process with his EV converted 2002.

Last edited by mockngbrd; 06-20-2022 at 09:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2022, 01:12 AM   #40
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep

my bad, i was going by your location.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 04:08 PM   #41
dsocold
Captain
American Samoa
Rep
Drives: f06 640i GC. E82 N54 135i

i got a 2022 230i w premium package as a loaner cool car i chose it to see what a modern version of my 2009 135i feels like. My 135i is fully m3 suspension swapped up plus 12 years worth of modding so it wasn't a fair comparison but the 230 is a very good car and the 295 ft lb of torque it has feels awesome from a 4 cyl 230.
Appreciate 0