ThesaVeliona
Starry_Angel
Rep
Drives: '02 Lexus IS300 / '15 BMW 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2PDX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
On the other hand, the M240i F22 made the F22 M2 look quite expensive for what you got. For a daily driver the M240i had virtually the same acceleration as the OGM2 and suspension tuning (with the standard adjustable suspension) more suited to daily use. .
F22 M2?

I must have missed that model. When was it produced???
F87, not F22. We always mistake that one's code.
      11-23-2022, 12:05 AM   #90
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
F22 M2?

Cute, obvious that it should have been F87, of course, looks like my mistake was caught by the M2 Pedantic-Polizei!
Appreciate 2
///M TOWN16074.00
eddj464.50
      11-23-2022, 12:19 AM   #91
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
Quote:
F22 M2?

Cute, obvious that it should have been F87, of course, looks like my mistake was caught by the M2 pedantic-police!
I think almost everyone knew exactly what you meant and just kept going

11-23-2022, 10:05 AM   #92
Al Bundy's Dodge
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet48 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha97 View Post
What is your point?
Nobody told you to leave, people are just wondering why you are here.
Are to trying to convince people in this m2 subforum to buy the m240i instead?
I personally don't care how much the m240i costs. The thought of buying one never even crossed my mind.
And no, I don't need the m2 to be an xdrive because I'll take my x5 or tacoma if I was to go skiing in Colorado. Most people shopping for an m2 do own more than 1 car.
Ferrari? what the hell? who cares about a ferrari?
ps thanks for the financial advice
I'm in this thread as it literally compares a M240i to a M2... see the title.

Not everyone has multiple cars though. Parking is $400/mo in my building for a reserved spot. The M240ix can handle all seasons fine, nobody I know that lives downtown has multiple cars (that's for the burbs or if you can afford a $1MM SFH).

Ferrari was brought up as someone mentioned with ZERO financial constraint they would get a M2, which made no sense. If I had unlimited money, I would not limite myself to a M2, I'd have a fleet a much higher performance rides.
Dude, The thread is about comparing M240 with M2. My zero financial constraint comment was in the same context, and I even said M cars vs non-M BMWs in my post.

You'd have a better chance of winning arguments if you first understood what you were arguing against.
Appreciate 2
///M TOWN16074.00
      11-23-2022, 11:40 AM   #93
Ricochet48
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 RSX-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bundy's Dodge View Post
Dude, The thread is about comparing M240 with M2. My zero financial constraint comment was in the same context, and I even said M cars vs non-M BMWs in my post.

You'd have a better chance of winning arguments if you first understood what you were arguing against.
Still your 'argument' doesn't hold water even if you narrow the framing. If you take finances out of the equation, I would hope a M2 at $10K more would be the obvious choice. If not, there's some major problems...

My point is that aside form being $10K more expensive (and getting 1/3 the mpg), it has many drawbacks imo and only a few advantages over the M240i (which can't be used often anyways as we all don't live on racetracks).

As asked earlier, out of curiosity I would love to see the sales figures between the 230i, M240i, and M2 (as well as against the Supra/Z).
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2022, 08:00 PM   #94
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bundy's Dodge View Post

Still your 'argument' doesn't hold water even if you narrow the framing. If you take finances out of the equation, I would hope a M2 at $10K more would be the obvious choice. If not, there's some major problems...

My point is that aside form being $10K more expensive (and getting 1/3 the mpg), it has many drawbacks imo and only a few advantages over the M240i (which can't be used often anyways as we all don't live on racetracks).

As asked earlier, out of curiosity I would love to see the sales figures between the 230i, M240i, and M2 (as well as against the Supra/Z).
I sounded like you about 20 years ago. Arguing that my Infiniti was better than the BMW using the value equation way too heavily. The reality is that you don't value the higher level of mechanical feel that you get with an M. Nothing wrong with that. My wife loves soft riding SUVs and sees no value in a loud, harsh riding M car. To each their own. But after having a few 335s and then moving to an M3 there is no comparison - to me. I love the higher level of rawness, 6MT, stiff chassis, and visual enhancements. Throw in that the M versions are typically only 5-10k more than a lesser version on top of better resale, it's a no brainer. But that's me. You sound like you don't value that stuff.

In terms of sales, the cheaper models always sell in higher numbers, because they are cheaper. Nothing more to read into it than that.
Appreciate 4
TargaM22489.00
Game7375.50
deladude266.00
      11-23-2022, 08:11 PM   #95
Albator_IIII
Retired Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i 6MT Custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey100 View Post
I sounded like you about 20 years ago. Arguing that my Infiniti was better than the BMW using the value equation way too heavily. The reality is that you don't value the higher level of mechanical feel that you get with an M. Nothing wrong with that. My wife loves soft riding SUVs and sees no value in a loud, harsh riding M car. To each their own. But after having a few 335s and then moving to an M3 there is no comparison - to me. I love the higher level of rawness, 6MT, stiff chassis, and visual enhancements. Throw in that the M versions are typically only 5-10k more than a lesser version on top of better resale, it's a no brainer. But that's me. You sound like you don't value that stuff.

In terms of sales, the cheaper models always sell in higher numbers, because they are cheaper. Nothing more to read into it than that.
Amen. Same goes, for me, when comparing base BMW w/ other brands. I tell folks car shopping that if they consider BMW to give them a test drive. If the driving experience doesn't "speak" to them to move on to something else. And there is nothing wrong with that.

The moment I drove a BMW for the first time, it clicked. It became clear to me that these machines made me realize that this is what driving should feel like. The M lines took it to another level. I love my E90 335i RWD 6MT. It is on par performance-wise to my past E46 M3. However, I do miss the raw feel of the M3. Even at low speed in a parking lot, the car felt like something special. No wonder the M3 was dubbed as "The Super Athlete in a Tuxedo" and the M5 "The Wolf in Sheep's clothing".

I know this sounds elitist, but my statement doesn't come from a place of false superiority. Not everyone has the same connection and that is quire alright.

2023 G87 ///M2 (production began Jul 4th 2023)
2008 E90 335i | Silver Grey | Terra | Piano Black | 6MT | ZSP | ZKO | ZAT | ZKI | ZPL | ZKL |
Appreciate 1
trey1001125.00
      11-23-2022, 08:49 PM   #96
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:

In reality the M240i is a 90s supercar levels and beats the OG M2 easily (and is even close to the M2C in a straight line).
Really??????

I have an OG M2, have driven several M2Cs, an M2CS, and also 2 new M240i's. I've owned 8 Ms over the years.

The M240 is a great car. But it, in AWD version, is not "nimble" or particularly engaging, and although fast in a straight line, falls short on a track or a twisty road. (BMW should put a stick in the M230i).

If straight line performance is all you care about, then stick with your 240.

But 10 or 20 years from now, demand (and prices) for M2s will be off the charts. The M240? Not so much.

For the rest of us, especially those who want a 6MT, it's not close.
Appreciate 3
      11-23-2022, 09:43 PM   #97
StickyPickle
Captain
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Quote:

In reality the M240i is a 90s supercar levels and beats the OG M2 easily (and is even close to the M2C in a straight line).
Really??????

I have an OG M2, have driven several M2Cs, an M2CS, and also 2 new M240i's. I've owned 8 Ms over the years.

The M240 is a great car. But it, in AWD version, is not "nimble" or particularly engaging, and although fast in a straight line, falls short on a track or a twisty road. (BMW should put a stick in the M230i).

If straight line performance is all you care about, then stick with your 240.

But 10 or 20 years from now, demand (and prices) for M2s will be off the charts. The M240? Not so much.

For the rest of us, especially those who want a 6MT, it's not close.
As a current G42 M240 owner, I couldn't agree more. My main reasoning for moving on to the G87 is for the manual, it totally transforms the driving experience. Driving the M240 just isn't all that fun to me. Sure it's pretty quick and the cost to performance value is pretty hard to beat considering it's also a luxury brand but the fun factor just isn't there for me.

I got the M240 thinking that the raw performance and straight line speed would be enough for me to keep it for awhile but that wore away pretty quickly and got bored of driving it as a result. The M240 is a great car that suits the needs for plenty of people, just not me. Gimme the manual!
Appreciate 4
      11-25-2022, 09:32 PM   #98
ANP202
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha97 View Post
What is your point?
Nobody told you to leave, people are just wondering why you are here.
Are to trying to convince people in this m2 subforum to buy the m240i instead?
I personally don't care how much the m240i costs. The thought of buying one never even crossed my mind.
And no, I don't need the m2 to be an xdrive because I'll take my x5 or tacoma if I was to go skiing in Colorado. Most people shopping for an m2 do own more than 1 car.
Ferrari? what the hell? who cares about a ferrari?
ps thanks for the financial advice

Lol that guy is worried about MPG, it’s clear that someone having 2-3 cars aside from M2 didn’t cross his mind 😂😂😂

If you care about $7-$8 you save at fill up you should have probably bought a Honda
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2022, 10:03 PM   #99
soflacarguy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: g42 (ordered)

Im torn tbh, always planned on upgrading my g42 for the g87, but man this car is a head turner and the compliments received are non stop:
Attached Images

Appreciate 7
Red_sir131.50
02M3ForMe4257.00
eddj464.50
Jashue190.50
      11-26-2022, 09:23 PM   #100
wj100
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 Supra 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by soflacarguy View Post
Im torn tbh, always planned on upgrading my g42 for the g87, but man this car is a head turner and the compliments received are non stop:
Does it really matter what other people think/say? Just drive what makes you happy and you'll be fine either way.
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2022, 10:10 PM   #101
soflacarguy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj100 View Post
Quote:
Does it really matter what other people think/say? Just drive what makes you happy and you'll be fine either way.
I think you're misunderstanding. I am an enthusiast- and I picked up the g42 with the intention to trade up to the g87. I'm 3rd on my dealer's list currently.

I didn't love the look of the g42 at launch. Found the triangles in the grill, black side skirt, rear diffuser, and tail lights odd. I almost walked from my allocation until I saw a YouTube review in BSM.

The BSM immediately reminded me my OCD would never let me enjoy the car. Xpel PPF completely resolved the maintenance issue, and bonus - it's absolutely jaw dropping gorgeous in person. Photos don't do it justice.

Here comes the g87 leaks several months later. First impression not good. Lack of color options don't help. I want the s58 and the MT and everything that makes the m2 a real m car. I just don't know if I can justify the downgrade in appearance.

Holding on to my allocation for now and hopefully will get to see one in person before I have to commit.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2022, 11:08 PM   #102
///3dkn
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [8.67]
Nope
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2022, 11:20 PM   #103
donm527
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Chevrolet Z06

The M240i looks beautiful with the satin PPF. Really brings out all the sharp lines in the car. Maybe you can do the same magic with G87 in same color and treatment.

Curious, who did you have / recommend the PPF done by in south Florida?

Quote:
I think you're misunderstanding. I am an enthusiast- and I picked up the g42 with the intention to trade up to the g87. I'm 3rd on my dealer's list currently.

I didn't love the look of the g42 at launch. Found the triangles in the grill, black side skirt, rear diffuser, and tail lights odd. I almost walked from my allocation until I saw a YouTube review in BSM.

The BSM immediately reminded me my OCD would never let me enjoy the car. Xpel PPF completely resolved the maintenance issue, and bonus - it's absolutely jaw dropping gorgeous in person. Photos don't do it justice.

Here comes the g87 leaks several months later. First impression not good. Lack of color options don't help. I want the s58 and the MT and everything that makes the m2 a real m car. I just don't know if I can justify the downgrade in appearance.

Holding on to my allocation for now and hopefully will get to see one in person before I have to commit.
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2022, 11:25 AM   #104
Ricochet48
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANP202 View Post
Lol that guy is worried about MPG, it’s clear that someone having 2-3 cars aside from M2 didn’t cross his mind 😂😂😂

If you care about $7-$8 you save at fill up you should have probably bought a Honda
I do own a Honda. A modified 6MT 2800 lb one that revs to 8600 rpms and gets decent MPG on a the highway (especially for the tech at the time).

Yes, I understand others have multiple cars. I also understand like half the US doesn't have $500 for an emergency. Moreover like 1% of cars sold now are stick (it was like 10% when I bought my DC5)

Parking is $420 for a dedicated space in my building as I live in a high value area. The rich have 0 cars as they live in a central area. Not everyone lives in the burbs or the country like it seems on here.

MPG is not as much about money, but moreso a better built engine imo. It's like have a really fat dude that can bench a lot vs. a very cut guy that can bench slightly less but is much more efficient at it per lb.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2022, 11:30 AM   #105
curtdragon
Car'a'carn
Rep
Drives: Audi S4

Garage List
2015 Audi S4  [0.00]
Quote:
From guys right? 😆
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2022, 11:33 AM   #106
Ricochet48
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey100 View Post

I value a better feel for sure. I feel every bump in the road on my coilovers in my 2800lb hatch. For nearly 20 years I've only driven stick too, autos have gotten significantly better though... a ZF8 is the move for me (90% city driving in heavy traffic as I actually live in a dense CBD).

I wish they had an M240i with suspension upgrades of the M2 but not the inefficient S engine (would much prefer the B58). This thread is about looks though. The old M2's looked MUCH better than the old M240i's, but now it's the opposite imo. The M2 looks like a Chinese duplex block and is nearly $10K more (with insane prices for things people actually want like carbon seats). The M240i already has the winged mirrors, power dome, and wide fenders (along with better options like Thundernight, red leather, etc.).
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2022, 11:37 AM   #107
curtdragon
Car'a'carn
Rep
Drives: Audi S4

Garage List
2015 Audi S4  [0.00]
Quote:
MPG is not as much about money, but moreso a better built engine imo. It's like have a really fat dude that can bench a lot vs. a very cut guy that can bench slightly less but is much more efficient at it per lb.
Definitely your opinion. MPG isn’t a stat for car performance.
Your analogy is kinda ok. You have a skinny guy you’re generally going to have more endurance. These cars aren’t skinny. You have a four cylinder that innately gets great gas mileage. You add more cylinders it’s going to go lower. Add turbo and it will get lower unless you’re never hitting boost then it will be better than an NA version.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2022, 12:21 PM   #108
AlpineBoost
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 Civic Type R

Garage List
I hated the G42 when I first saw pictures of it and after seeing it in person I'm still not a fan. The front bumper is really what kills it for me but overall it looks unaggressive and somewhat derpy. The rear of the car did look better than I thought it would. Seeing it here next to the G87 just confirms what I already knew.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2022, 12:08 PM   #109
soflacarguy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtdragon View Post
Quote:
From guys right? 😆
Weird comment but I'll entertain it.

From both genders, probably a 2:1 ratio.

Non stop compliments
Appreciate 1
eddj464.50
      11-30-2022, 12:11 PM   #110
soflacarguy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
The M240i looks beautiful with the satin PPF. Really brings out all the sharp lines in the car. Maybe you can do the same magic with G87 in same color and treatment.

Curious, who did you have / recommend the PPF done by in south Florida?

Quote:

If i go forward with the G87 it will absolutely get the Xpel PPF treatment from the same installer:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cf-LK...d=NGFlNTM4N2U=
Appreciate 1
bean_140.00