home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

12-30-2022, 10:17 PM   #1
adaller7
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i xDrive

Adhesive Remover

What’s the best product for adhesive remover. I’ve read goo gone but also heard it can damage the paint. I’ve also seen the 3M adhesive in a can is good.

I need it for things like removing the adhesive after taking off silver m240i badge and replacing black one, also for things like rear lip spoiler etc
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2022, 10:28 PM   #2
winter.zed
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Boxster 718/982

I used Goo Gone after the x-drive badge removal and did not notice any visible damage to clear coat. Very small amount of adhesive was left on the car, mind you.
Also used it on the PS2 to remove the silly door stickers they put on - again no noticeable damage on new clear coat even though on the Polestar there was a lot glue residue left. Took forever to clean-up.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2022, 10:35 PM   #3
marcsg42
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i

3m makes a rubber eraser wheel specifically for what your asking it works so good and can do like 50 cars on one wheel is super safe if you follow instructions on rpm’s in the drill your using, I used it to remove mine, on past cars I did what your gonna do it a pain in the azz.once u use it won’t use anything else google it on you tube you will see what I’m talking about all the good pro use the same
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2022, 02:45 AM   #4
Soylent
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4C

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2022, 08:00 AM   #5
tatarwj
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3 2023 BMW M3CX

Garage List
2023 M3CX  [5.00]
BMW X3  [0.00]
I used the goo gone “automotive” for the M240 badge removal. I don’t think this was mentioned, but be sure to hear the badge up fisrt with a heat gun or blow dryer. No need to get it hot to touch, you just want to warm it up, as it will make the adhesive tacky, and you can easily pull it off with you fingers. When doing this approach, I was left with very minimal adhesive left o bathe car, so a small squirt (size of nickel) on a microfiber towel will take the remainder off. Remember to prep the area with rubbing alcohol after and this will remove the remainder of the goo gone and make the area ready for the new badge. If debaddging, I would still use the rubbing alcohol to get the goo gone off, then make sure you re wax that area, if that pertains to your car prep practices.

If replacing badge, please use painters tape around your old one prior to removing, and purchase the genuine BNW one, as the new badge comes positioned in a clear window with tape around the edges, so that when you remove your old one, the painters tape is left, take the backing off of the new badge, and just put it exactly where the old one was, inside your painters tape. Also, one more tip for badge replacement, reheat the new badge once on to ensure the adhesive on the badge is adhered the best it can be.

For the wing adhesive removal process, you will need the 3M wheel. It works amazing, you can go at it more than you think and it will not damage your car. Also, if you are using a 12v drill, you will need a second battery so have the back up charged and ready to go.

If you need further direction or clarification on any of this, please don’t hesitate to reach out!
Appreciate 1
      12-31-2022, 11:52 AM   #6
adaller7
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatarwj View Post
I used the goo gone “automotive” for the M240 badge removal. I don’t think this was mentioned, but be sure to hear the badge up fisrt with a heat gun or blow dryer. No need to get it hot to touch, you just want to warm it up, as it will make the adhesive tacky, and you can easily pull it off with you fingers. When doing this approach, I was left with very minimal adhesive left o bathe car, so a small squirt (size of nickel) on a microfiber towel will take the remainder off. Remember to prep the area with rubbing alcohol after and this will remove the remainder of the goo gone and make the area ready for the new badge. If debaddging, I would still use the rubbing alcohol to get the goo gone off, then make sure you re wax that area, if that pertains to your car prep practices.

If replacing badge, please use painters tape around your old one prior to removing, and purchase the genuine BNW one, as the new badge comes positioned in a clear window with tape around the edges, so that when you remove your old one, the painters tape is left, take the backing off of the new badge, and just put it exactly where the old one was, inside your painters tape. Also, one more tip for badge replacement, reheat the new badge once on to ensure the adhesive on the badge is adhered the best it can be.

For the wing adhesive removal process, you will need the 3M wheel. It works amazing, you can go at it more than you think and it will not damage your car. Also, if you are using a 12v drill, you will need a second battery so have the back up charged and ready to go.

If you need [...]
Thanks so much for the response, as far as the wheel though, AUTOID had a youtube video for the wing, they just heated the residue after removing the lip and they just peeled the adhesive right off after heating it a little. Is that the case? or do you actually need the wheel because i don’t own one
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2022, 03:43 PM   #7
tatarwj
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3 2023 BMW M3CX

Garage List
2023 M3CX  [5.00]
BMW X3  [0.00]
For the wing I would go with the wheel. There was a ton of adhesive, and it was thick. Once heated up, use heavy test fishing line like for fishing in the ocean (I tried 10lb and tripled it up and broke quickly) or, if you have a stranded nylon rope laying around (luckily I found one in the tool box in my shed because I tore through about 90% of the fishing line I had) that will work even better. Heat your wing up in 1-2ft increments and get the rope under an outer edge, saw/wiggle back and forth until you meet a little more resistance/end of the heated area, repeat until it comes off. I couldn’t imagine attempting without the wheel. I used a plastic razor blade (can get 4pk from WM for $1) to get the thick part off and then used the wheel from there. Here’s another thing to look into. The wheel is about $45-55 on Amazon, I chose pick up near my house and it listed the pep boys 2 miles from my house for $12.49!
Appreciate 1
      12-31-2022, 04:40 PM   #8
adaller7
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatarwj View Post
For the wing I would go with the wheel. There was a ton of adhesive, and it was thick. Once heated up, use heavy test fishing line like for fishing in the ocean (I tried 10lb and tripled it up and broke quickly) or, if you have a stranded nylon rope laying around (luckily I found one in the tool box in my shed because I tore through about 90% of the fishing line I had) that will work even better. Heat your wing up in 1-2ft increments and get the rope under an outer edge, saw/wiggle back and forth until you meet a little more resistance/end of the heated area, repeat until it comes off. I couldn’t imagine attempting without the wheel. I used a plastic razor blade (can get 4pk from WM for $1) to get the thick part off and then used the wheel from there. Here’s another thing to look into. The wheel is about $45-55 on Amazon, I chose pick up near my house and it listed the pep boys 2 miles from my house for $12.49!
i’ve heard the wheel is great i was just nervous i’ll damage my paint if i use it cus im a dumb ass and have never used one lol
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2022, 04:51 PM   #9
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240x, 2007 Honda VFR

The best gentle adhesive remover i have found is kerosene, It will even get off the really stubborn wheel weight adhesive (motorcycle rims often used the adhesive weights; I have found letting it soak a bit first really helps but i have found no adhesive resistant to it....it is also a good all around gentle grease cleaner and will not damage paint.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2022, 05:37 PM   #10
Caerus
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaller7 View Post
What’s the best product for adhesive remover. I’ve read goo gone but also heard it can damage the paint. I’ve also seen the 3M adhesive in a can is good.
Any of the 3M products are great and typically the go to product at paint and body shops.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2023, 09:09 AM   #11
F12M6MD
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Rivian R1T

Replaced my spoiler yesterday.

Things I used:
- heat gun
- 20lb fishing line
- my bare fingers
- 3M eraser wheel
- Goo gone
- 70% isopropyl alcohol (packets)
- microfiber towel

Confirmed that the OEM adhesive is THICK!
+1000 on the eraser wheel. Works perfectly once you gain the confidence knowing its not damaging your paint and you get your RPMs dialed in. Overall, the swap turned out perfectly.
      01-02-2023, 07:14 AM   #12
Rag9000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ‘23 m240i

I used a cheap eraser wheel off of Amazon and some isopropyl. Worked perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2023, 02:51 PM   #13
H00CH90
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240XI

I bought the 3M eraser wheel but was too nervous to use it so I tried goo gone and peeling by hand. Didn't take too long before I said F* it and went to town with the wheel. The wheel does an incredible job, you just need to trust in it and follow instructions.
Appreciate 0