home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

02-28-2023, 03:49 AM   #1
Ajax30za
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw M240i

Driving the m240i in sport mode, jerky gear changes

I just want to check if everyone else’s M240i does this in sport mode, but when I am driving the car with enthusiasm, is it normal for the car to “jerk” when it changes gears?

In comfort mode you barely feel the gear changes. I know my previous car (Camaro SS) also had a jerk when accelerating hard, but I didn’t really expect this from a BMW.

I had the use of an M8 competition 2 weekends ago and that car didn’t have these jerks when driving it hard.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2023, 08:34 AM   #2
ChanceG8X
Bmw Inside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i, G80

M8 comp will have a similar but different transmission this will be able to hold more torque and hp without slipping. So the feel will be different theres just so many different variables. It is a way smaller car so you'll just inevitably feel more. Also you are in sport mode so downshifts are trying to just be as fast and hard as possible line pressure will be all the way up. It's really nothing to worry about if you find it just uncomfortable you can adjust the trans to comfort while leaving the motor in sport mode.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2023, 09:30 AM   #3
Jashue
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 B58 G42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax30za View Post
I just want to check if everyone else’s M240i does this in sport mode, but when I am driving the car with enthusiasm, is it normal for the car to “jerk” when it changes gears?

In comfort mode you barely feel the gear changes. I know my previous car (Camaro SS) also had a jerk when accelerating hard, but I didn’t really expect this from a BMW.

I had the use of an M8 competition 2 weekends ago and that car didn’t have these jerks when driving it hard.
I've always described sport-plus mode (and to a lesser extent regular sport) as "nervous" when used in automatic mode. It's simply not any fun to me to drive the car that way on a commute or any other such type of driving. Sport plus with paddles, on the other hand— now that's a different story!

I have sport-individual configured with sport-plus throttle response, comfort transmission and comfort suspension for spirited (if not hooligan) driving on normal city streets. For me, that's the sweet spot.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2023, 09:31 AM   #4
Bandit009
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax30za View Post

The shifts are forceful. I like it. Reminds me of my manual. Wait until you hamner her in sports plus. The upshifts are really forceful and when you brake hard the downshifts are aggressive. I had to adjust to it as I have never drove an automatic that shifted with purpose before.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2023, 10:15 AM   #5
maggies_dad
Private
Rep
Drives: '23 230i

Garage List
  [0.00]
in my limited experience with our 230, the more spirited you drive the car in Sport or Sport Plus the smoother it is. if you're just cruising the car around and in either of those modes i do find the shifts and overall experience rougher than Comfort but i think that makes sense - you're not driving the car as its meant to be if you're just cruising in either Sport or Plus.
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2023, 06:35 AM   #6
Ajax30za
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw M240i

I should have been more specific, but I meant when I drive the car spiritedly, I drive it in sport plus.

I will check how it behaves with the transmission set to comfort and see if it has the same response.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2023, 02:00 PM   #7
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep
Drives: Super73

The xHP Flash Tune is nice to tweak the shift characteristics of the transmission. If you want aggressive, try Sport Plus with trans in Sport and traction control fully off while using xHP!
Appreciate 1