E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > N54 a lot of smoke comming out

05-07-2020, 03:26 AM   #1
bayarea335i
Rep
Drives: 335i

N54 a lot of smoke comming out

Hello,

Any advice would help greatly. Have had a smoking issue with my n54 for 15k miles it’s wasn’t major just maybe twice a month at a random stop light I would have smoke come out the exhaust than it would stop and I wouldn’t see it again , I recently got my secondary cats removed and now it smokes like a chimney, they were probably masking it. Everytime I come to a light it smokes a lot after deceleration or I hold it at around 1200 rpm it’ll just almost constantly smoke. It’s basically undrivable because of the smoke, now only time it won’t smoke as bad is just at plain idle. Car also been consuming about 1 quart of oil every 2kish miles here is a video of me holding it at about 1100-1300rpm any advice would be great I’m guessing it’s the turbos? Not to sure kind of new to problems on this platform.
Possibly leaky injectors or turbo seals? Coolant level has always been fine no signs of coolant in oil on oil changes either never over heated.

Last edited by bayarea335i; 05-07-2020 at 06:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 05:43 PM   #2
SmokeyN54
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

You either have a blown head gasket or a valve case crack considering you're burning a lot of oil.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 07:01 PM   #3
type-dRew
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive

I'd say first step is replacing valve cover

Could be turbos but I'd at least try vc first. Oem or URO parts
New setup; Covid 19Ts on RFP 93 + ARM inlets, dp, VTT cp and PSP outlets
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 10:10 PM   #4
alpnwss
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 BMW 335is

Garage List
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyN54 View Post
You either have a blown head gasket or a valve case crack considering you're burning a lot of oil.
There's always that one guy...
This isn't the 1970s. N54s are not known for headgasket issues. Most likely something else like turbos.
Appreciate 2
_N54301.50
      05-07-2020, 10:41 PM   #5
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea335i View Post
Hello,

Any advice would help greatly. Have had a smoking issue with my n54 for 15k miles it's wasn't major just maybe twice a month at a random stop light I would have smoke come out the exhaust than it would stop and I wouldn't see it again , I recently got my secondary cats removed and now it smokes like a chimney, they were probably masking it. Everytime I come to a light it smokes a lot after deceleration or I hold it at around 1200 rpm it'll just almost constantly smoke. It's basically undrivable because of the smoke, now only time it won't smoke as bad is just at plain idle. Car also been consuming about 1 quart of oil every 2kish miles here is a video of me holding it at about 1100-1300rpm any advice would be great I'm guessing it's the turbos? Not to sure kind of new to problems on this platform.
Possibly leaky injectors or turbo seals? Coolant level has always been fine no signs of coolant in oil on oil changes either never over heated.
Codes?

Have you tried resetting adaptations in MHD?

Try and set your wastegate to 50%.

Could be turbo seals. I doubt it. You can always take the downpipes out & see if its wet inside the turbos. It doesn't hurt to replace them & they are inexpensive. Replace the gaskets at the mid-pipe connection. BMS makes the best gaskets IMO.

How's your O2 sensors dealing with the excessive exhaust smoke?

Replace the PCV valve & Change our the crank case breather hose / one way valve. Upgrade the PCV valve to a Rob Beck Version. You don't need the aluminum cap, but it doesn't hurt to get it either.

https://www.rbturbo.com/rbpcv

https://www.rbturbo.com/products/acc...-pcv-vent-hose

Do you have a catch can? If not, get one. BMS is probably your best bet.

https://burgertuning.com/products/bm...an-for-n54-bmw
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 04:56 AM   #6
bayarea335i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyN54 View Post
Could the valve case cause that much smoke?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 04:58 AM   #7
bayarea335i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by type-dRew View Post

Bought the vc today going to change it along with the pcv system, could the vcg cause this much smoke?
Appreciate 1
type-dRew642.00
      05-08-2020, 05:00 AM   #8
bayarea335i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
Codes?

Could be turbo seals. I doubt it. You can always take the downpipes out & see if its wet inside the turbos. It doesn't hurt to replace them & they are inexpensive. Replace the gaskets at the mid-pipe connection. BMS makes the best gaskets IMO.

Replace the PCV valve & Change our the crank case breather hose / one way valve. Upgrade the PCV valve to a Rob Beck Version. You don't need the aluminum cap, but it doesn't hurt to get it either.

I think the smoke may be causing a misfire too with the o2s reading it only at full throttle though , I’m going to change the pcv system as well and I’ll try to adjust to 50% with MHD, cause pcv cause this much smoke?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 04:18 PM   #9
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Bought the vc today going to change it along with the pcv system, could the vcg cause this much smoke?
Unless the VC has a crack in it, buying a new one won't solve your problem. I have 173,000 miles on my OEM original VC.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 04:20 PM   #10
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Codes?

I think the smoke may be causing a misfire too with the o2s reading it only at full throttle though , I'm going to change the pcv system as well and I'll try to adjust to 50% with MHD, cause pcv cause this much smoke?
How old are your 4 O2 sensors?

Yes, a faulty PCV system & no catch can will cause smoke.

Do you have a leak in your VCG?

How old are your injectors?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 05:24 PM   #11
E93Beast
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93

Quote:
Hello,

Any advice would help greatly. Have had a smoking issue with my n54 for 15k miles it’s wasn’t major just maybe twice a month at a random stop light I would have smoke come out the exhaust than it would stop and I wouldn’t see it again , I recently got my secondary cats removed and now it smokes like a chimney, they were probably masking it. Everytime I come to a light it smokes a lot after deceleration or I hold it at around 1200 rpm it’ll just almost constantly smoke. It’s basically undrivable because of the smoke, now only time it won’t smoke as bad is just at plain idle. Car also been consuming about 1 quart of oil every 2kish miles here is a video of me holding it at about 1100-1300rpm any advice would be great I’m guessing it’s the turbos? Not to sure kind of new to problems on this platform.
Turbos.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 06:01 PM   #12
IllSic_Design
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 12 E92 328i

Turbos, or I also have been hearing a bunch about the valve stem seals in N54's from a couple other boards.

With that much smoke though, I'd probably say one of the turbos almost for sure.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 07:20 PM   #13
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
Turbos, or I also have been hearing a bunch about the valve stem seals in N54's from a couple other boards.

With that much smoke though, I'd probably say one of the turbos almost for sure.
If it were valve stem seals, the smoke would be blue upon start up & then it would go away
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 07:43 PM   #14
type-dRew
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Unless the VC has a crack in it, buying a new one won't solve your problem. I have 173,000 miles on my OEM original VC.
It is not about the Vc having a crack in it, it's about it having clear pcv ports and being able to evacuate crankcase pressure.

This is exactly what it looks like when a vc is completely backed up or someone hooks their aftermarket pcv system up wrong.

Having a crack could affect the pressure removal as well but that's not what the main issue is.

My car smoked like a freight train if it sat and idled more than a minute, not quite as bad as this. But enough to not see behind me. Replaced the valve cover and it's never been an issue since.

Could it be something else? Sure. But having a properly functioning factory pcv is first step. A bunch of band aid catch cans definitely is not. Did the car smoke like this when new? No? Then it doesn't need a fuck ton of reengineered parts not to, it just needs whatever is broken to be fixed.
New setup; Covid 19Ts on RFP 93 + ARM inlets, dp, VTT cp and PSP outlets
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 10:36 PM   #15
bayarea335i
Rep

I appreciate all the reply guys
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 10:47 PM   #16
bayarea335i
Rep

Quote:

Took out my PCV this what it looked like it was pretty wet when I took it out I had oil droplets dripping on my finger

https://ibb.co/p4tfQRF
https://ibb.co/sQ2P657
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 10:52 PM   #17
bayarea335i
Rep

Quote:
It is not about the Vc having a crack in it, it's about it having clear pcv ports and being able to evacuate crankcase pressure.

This is exactly what it looks like when a vc is completely backed up or someone hooks their aftermarket pcv system up wrong.

Having a crack could affect the pressure removal as well but that's not what the main issue is.

My car smoked like a freight train if it sat and idled more than a minute, not quite as bad as this. But enough to not see behind me. Replaced the valve cover and it's never been an issue since.

Could it be something else? Sure. But having a properly functioning factory pcv is first step. A bunch of band aid catch cans definitely is not. Did the car smoke like this when new? No? Then it doesn't need a fuck ton of reengineered parts not to, it just needs whatever is broken to be fixed.
I uploaded how my PCV looks, I just took em out let me know what u think
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 08:32 AM   #18
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Took out my PCV this what it looked like it was pretty wet when I took it out I had oil droplets dripping on my finger

https://ibb.co/p4tfQRF
https://ibb.co/sQ2P657
Yep.

The PCV & the crank case hose w/ the one way valve attached to it should be changed out every 50,000 miles.

Did you get a catch can ?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 04:51 PM   #19
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEAN E93 View Post
Turbos.
Maybe but you don't jump to turbos straight off,

You eliminate other cheaper possible causes first, otherwise you can end up wasting huge amount of money for no good reason.
Appreciate 1
Ilma186.50
      06-28-2020, 07:45 AM   #20
335iN54enthusiast
Banned
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i

I would check your turbo oil drain lines and see if they are pinched. I bet they probably are. Very common. Theyre steel braided and develop a,pinch over time...that will cause your turbo to back up oil and pressurize your pcv system in a bad way. You have to remove the heat wrap on the rear turbo line in order to see if its pinched. That is one of the first areas to check by the way.

My You tube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUH...np96CSleQFSvXw
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2023, 12:53 AM   #21
lochriepaul
Registered
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
o
Quote:
Hi mate you said you
bought the valve cover did you ever replace it, did it fix your smoking issue i have the same thing here
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2024, 12:42 AM   #22
n54brandino
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 335i

Quote:
Hello,

did you ever changed that valve cover?
Appreciate 0