BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

10-27-2022, 12:06 PM   #177
T_U_D
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G05 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameisnick4 View Post
I cannot figure out why anyone would want this. What are you gaining that the phone in your pocket cannot already do?
My thoughts exactly. Your phone can instantly become a hotspot, anywhere.
Appreciate 2
Caerus534.50
DrJLag420799.00
      10-27-2022, 12:24 PM   #178
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by makethiscardriveable View Post
Its because of the new Modular CLAR architecture, BMW will try to convince you its a good thing and for your benefit for structural rigidity but really it is only a cost saving measure for the OEMs, nothing more.
The RWD 2-series would not be economically viable without using the CLAR platform that is designed for all the current modular factory RWD and AWD (RWD-biased) production lines. It is really a case of using the only RWD ICE platform BMW now has or just have the FWD or AWD (FWD biased) UKL platform 2-series in the model range.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 12:54 PM   #179
carjoy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i M-Sport

Garage List
2016 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtdragon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by carjoy View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Anyone know what the M Racetrack package and M Driver's package include? They are part of Carbon Package.
Don't think anyone knows yet
Perhaps the Racetrack package is for Cup 2 tires. Time will tell.
I was thinking some tires as well. I'd like the HUD to be added 😆 or whatever other options I choose to be included.

I don't care honestly for me this is the first new car that I'm actually getting to configure from scratch almost exactly how I'd want it.

Only thing I hate is that I'm compromising on the color.

I'd do an orange or Isle of Man Green or darker blue if available.
Yeah, the color selection is anemic. I think car will look good in brighter colors like Yellow or a lively Blue, etc.. Black hides the body contours too much, Brooklyn Gray is a lifeless color IMO and played out. Toronto Red is another great choice, but you better be an extrovert. Lastly, Zandvoort Blue is an acquired taste that does not have mass appeal, sometimes looks cool, often odd.

We need Individual colors, but that's a dilemma; the car becomes even more expensive. I'd just be content with at least a Silver and another lively color choice; 7 like in the 240i. Five is not enough thats for sure.
      10-27-2022, 12:56 PM   #180
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_U_D View Post
I recently inquired with a BMW master technician as to what he believes a sunroof weights within a BMW. The following is the answer I received via text.

"Cassette and glass prob 60, roof metal with structural support prob another 100lbs, carbon roof prob 3lbs, plus glue…."

Edit, when I inquired if anyone would ever notice the weight savings of the CF roof given what the G87 weighs, the simple answer was "No!"

Tell him don't quit his day job… Oh wait 😟

So the sunroof option adds 163lbs to the vehicle.. Oh right, plus the glue..

Real sneaky of BMW to keep that under wraps.. I'm surprise vehicles with sunroofs doesn't topple over on the side when turning from that weight on top. 😗

It's really cute how much some of you guys love carbon fiber, I wouldn't be surprise if some of you try to make sweet love to the plastic resin 😂 J/k

Let's just kill the sunroof talk and settle on people like what they like.
I always thought the weight argument was overblown. I chose no sunroof for my OG for reliability. I've never had a car with a sunroof that didn't have some kind of malfunction or leak eventually.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9106.00
      10-27-2022, 12:59 PM   #181
curtdragon
Car'a'carn
Rep
Drives: Audi S4

Garage List
2015 Audi S4  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Anyone know what the M Racetrack package and M Driver's package include? They are part of Carbon Package.
Don't think anyone knows yet
Perhaps the Racetrack package is for Cup 2 tires. Time will tell.
I was thinking some tires as well. I'd like the HUD to be added 😆 or whatever other options I choose to be included.

I don't care honestly for me this is the first new car that I'm actually getting to configure from scratch almost exactly how I'd want it.

Only thing I hate is that I'm compromising on the color.

I'd do an orange or Isle of Man Green or darker blue if available.
Yeah, the color selection is anemic. I think car will look good in brighter colors like Yellow or a lively Blue, etc.. Black hides the body contours too much, Brooklyn Gray is a lifeless color IMO and played out. Toronto Red is another great choice, but you better be an extrovert. Lastly, Zandvoort Blue is an acquired taste that does not have mass appeal, sometimes looks cool, often odd.

We need Individual colors, but that's a dilemma; the car becomes even more expensive. I'd just be content with at least a Silver and another lively color choice; 7 like in the 240i. Five is not enough thats for sure.
I'd pay for the individual colors for sure. I'd do the Thundernight in a heartbeat
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 01:13 PM   #182
carjoy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundernight View Post
I am now convinced that BMW purposely makes their new cars heavier so we need to spend money on weight reduction. The price for the carbon fiber package is crazy high!
BMW will eventually have to modify the package because they will not be to selling a whole lot of them.
BMW knows it's not just track enthusiast who wants the cool Carbon seats. Most want them not because they going to track their cars or for weight savings (which is negligible), we want the Carbon buckets because they look awesome, sporty and amp up the interior. Of course, BMW know this and that's why they purposely package it with four other things.

Carbon Trim $800, Carbon Roof $2600 and Carbon Seats +/- $4500, those are the things that appeal to me. That's $7900, the Driver and Track package I don't want or need; an additional $2000 I could option other things.

Ultimately, they bank many will cave, but like you, think the take rate on the Carbon Package will be low. I expect to see many more cars with Carbon Roof option, the standard sports seat which are very supportive and comfortable.
      10-27-2022, 01:17 PM   #183
T_U_D
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
BMW knows it's not just track enthusiast who wants the cool Carbon seats. Most want them not because they going to track their cars or for weight savings (which is negligible), we want the Carbon buckets because they look awesome, sporty and amp up the interior. Of course, BMW know this and that's why they purposely package it with four other things.

Carbon Trim $800, Carbon Roof $2600 and Carbon Seats +/- $4500, those are the things that appeal to me. That's $7900, the Driver and Track package I don't want or need; an additional $2000 I could option other things.

Ultimately, they bank many will cave, but like you, think the take rate on the Carbon Package will be low. I expect to see many more cars with Carbon Roof option, the standard sports seat which are very supportive and comfortable.
The BMW NA Product Planning team whom selects standard eq, standalone options, and the option packages will definitely have to go back to the drawing board on option code ZJJ.
Appreciate 1
carjoy322.50
      10-27-2022, 01:24 PM   #184
carjoy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

The BMW NA Product Planning team whom selects standard eq, standalone options, and the option packages will have to go back to the drawing board on option code ZJJ.
I hope they add a couple more color options too. Desperately needed.
      10-27-2022, 01:43 PM   #185
T_U_D
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I hope they add a couple more color options too. Desperately needed.
Agreed! Give us Individual paint too!
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2022, 02:04 PM   #186
Two4me
Private
Rep
Drives: M240i, X5 xDrive50i, MX-5

Sad they haven't found a way to do Active Cruise Control with the manual...

I really want active cruise control for long drives to the mountains that adjusts with traffic. I don't see why it can't beep and yell at me to downshift as needed, or cancel and brake as needed.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 02:05 PM   #187
curtdragon
Car'a'carn
Rep
Drives: Audi S4

Garage List
2015 Audi S4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two4me View Post

I really want active cruise control for long drives to the mountains that adjusts with traffic. I don't see why it can't beep and yell at me to downshift as needed, or cancel and brake as needed.
Lol I was thinking there needs to be an automated shifting mechanism 😆😆
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 02:33 PM   #188
DeadlyDrop
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two4me View Post

AGREED LOL Toyota has adaptive cruise with manual trans idk why bmw cant do it...
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 03:04 PM   #189
Two4me
Private
Rep
Drives: M240i, X5 xDrive50i, MX-5

The funny thing is that you can shift with their current manuals and cruise control, so they're halfway there in the tech.

If you have an Fxx manual, set your cruise control and try shifting without touching the brake. The car handles it no problem. I went uphill through twisty mountains with cruise control and never touched the gas or break (the car brakes when you turn the wheel hard enough). It was a fun trip! (F22 M240i)
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 04:24 PM   #190
Vaticous
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M2 (Ordered)

Excuse my ignorance but what's the difference between Active Cruise Control and Dynamic Cruise Control? Just matching the car's speed ahead?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 04:38 PM   #191
keylime503
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaticous View Post
Excuse my ignorance but what's the difference between Active Cruise Control and Dynamic Cruise Control? Just matching the car's speed ahead?
Dynamic cruise control is the normal cruise control you're thinking of. Set a speed and the car will keep that speed unless you brake.

ACC is when you set a speed AND a distance behind the car in front of you and the car will track the car in front of you and stay that distance behind them.
Appreciate 1
Vaticous134.00
      10-27-2022, 04:40 PM   #192
Vaticous
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M2 (Ordered)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime503 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaticous View Post
Dynamic cruise control is the normal cruise control you're thinking of. Set a speed and the car will keep that speed unless you brake.

ACC is when you set a speed AND a distance behind the car in front of you and the car will track the car in front of you and stay that distance behind them.
Much appreciated, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 04:53 PM   #193
keylime503
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, Audi A4 Avant

Fully expect the MY24 ordering guide to offer standalone carbon buckets just to piss everyone off .
Appreciate 2
carjoy322.50
SCCThree826.50
      10-27-2022, 05:28 PM   #194
Quadruple VANOS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3WC View Post
This quote is from an article on BMW-M site.

So carbon roof saves 50lbs on M4 vs a sunroof equipped car.

That is rather large weight savings.

Yes, it is. If you ask a factory trained BMW tech their thoughts on how much they feel the sunroof weights based upon R&I of a sunroof cassette, they feel it weights more than that.
Maybe the carbon roof isn't as light as we think it is
BMW rant and rave whenever they offer some random overpriced M Performance part that only nets a mere 3 to 10lbs difference.

You telling me if eliminating the sunroof gained you a whopping 50lbs difference over the carbon fiber option they wouldn't of made that fact know to public, ad nauseam. If this was actually true, BMW would probably post this fact on the window sicker or on the VIN plate. 😏

If you guys want spend $2,600 for a roof that's already included, then more power to you but let's not delude ourselves and throw common sense out the window.

50lbs+:
This theory would make sense if BMW explained their options exhaustively, but they don't.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9106.00
      10-27-2022, 05:33 PM   #195
Quadruple VANOS
Captain
Rep

Quote:
…the Driver and Track package I don't want or need…
Interesting that you're so confident that you don't want or need the M Track Package when we don't even know what it is.
Appreciate 1
Game7432.50
      10-27-2022, 05:38 PM   #196
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameisnick4 View Post
Quote:
Cool feature, $300 option (6PA) on the G87.

I cannot figure out why anyone would want this. What are you gaining that the phone in your pocket cannot already do?
You get an independent 5G internet connection and hotspot to the vehicle. You can walk away with your phone and still have functions in the vehicle to still remain available.

I could list a few benefits but one I could think off the top of my head is if you hotwire some of high-end dashcam to the vehicle and as long as there is an internet connection, you can view real-time activity around your vehicle or download archived video from the cloud.

It's really a luxury but at $300, I would splurge and future proof my vehicle. I just wish they had integrated it better within the vehicle. I'm not sure what this separate SIM dongle is about but I'll figure it all out, in due time.

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 05:41 PM   #197
carjoy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadruple VANOS View Post
Quote:
Interesting that you're so confident that you don't want or need the M Track Package when we don't even know what it is.
I believe it's the Cup 2's, mentioned in one of the videos on YouTube. I'll try to find it.

Edit: Head of Engineering mentions at around 2:40 mark that they will offer the Cup 2, and while he doesn't say it comes with Track package, we can infer it in the absence of another package.

10-27-2022, 08:55 PM   #198
Quadruple VANOS
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadruple VANOS View Post
Quote:
I believe it's the Cup 2's, mentioned in one of the videos on YouTube. I'll try to find it.

Edit: Head of Engineering mentions at around 2:40 mark that they will offer the Cup 2, and while he doesn't say it comes with Track package, we can infer it in the absence of another package.

Interesting theory.

I bet there would be a lot of unhappy people if they were also locked into Cup 2 tires to spec carbon buckets. I can see the logic in the bundle though.
Appreciate 0