03-20-2024, 03:51 PM   #67
Carefree
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i, M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Except it's almost none of these. Tinfoil hat much? A quick search shows that insurance companies themselves cite increases in vehicle cost, repair cost, and labor cost as the main driver. Increased loss related to natural disasters is also a part of it. Almost all the rise in car theft is Kia/Hyundai alone and if you really believe insurance has spiked because of illegals that somehow didn't exist before 2020 you need to stop watching certain news channels. Bankrate claims that, adjusted for income:

State with the lowest true cost: Massachusetts
State with the highest true cost: Louisiana
Metro area with the lowest true cost: Seattle
Metro area with the highest true cost: Detroit

This is not some deliberate government conspiracy to deprive you of a BMW. It is simply the result of inflation, price gouging, driving habits, and weather.
This ^

The increased cost of sophisticated parts such as cameras, sensors, etc. and labor are the salient reasons for higher premiums.
Appreciate 2
chris7197334.00
aerobod3625.50
      03-20-2024, 04:03 PM   #68
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3, X7, MY

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carefree View Post
This ^

The increased cost of sophisticated parts such as cameras, sensors, etc. and labor are the salient reasons for higher premiums.
Good point. And aluminum unibody panels like the rears of some Audis. Teslas and Corvettes have higher labor rates too.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      03-20-2024, 06:01 PM   #69
Carefree
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i, M2

Folks, let’s put all the conspiracy theories aside. They’re certainly fun to read but virtually none of them are true.

In a commensurate fashion both homeowners and auto insurances are increasing similarly. Why? What’s the commonality?

It’s actually quite simple, inflation. Rebuild/repair costs. New cars have sensors in the bumper, sensors in the windshield, sensors everywhere, cameras all around, radar for cruise control, computer chips, and on and on ad nauseum. The repair shops require all the diagnostic tools (not inexpensive), and then labor costs which generally exceed $150/hour. I’m guessing on that so cut me some slack.

Now your home. The cost of rebuilding is crazy. Personally speaking, one of my homes happens to be all brick. The premium increased 40% year over year. I can’t imagine the cost of materials and labor to rebuild that place brick by brick. Our friends and neighbors in hurricane/flood plain/high risk areas are seeing correspondingly high percentage increases. Lumber, drywall, roofing, plumbing, etc. plus labor are all contributory factors.

It’s not about illegal aliens or stupid drivers (but they’re out there) or the government or your speeding ticket or rich people.

It’s about inflation. Been to a grocery store lately?

End of rant.
Appreciate 5
      03-23-2024, 07:05 AM   #70
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carefree View Post
Folks, let’s put all the conspiracy theories aside. They’re certainly fun to read but virtually none of them are true.

In a commensurate fashion both homeowners and auto insurances are increasing similarly. Why? What’s the commonality?

It’s actually quite simple, inflation. Rebuild/repair costs. New cars have sensors in the bumper, sensors in the windshield, sensors everywhere, cameras all around, radar for cruise control, computer chips, and on and on ad nauseum. The repair shops require all the diagnostic tools (not inexpensive), and then labor costs which generally exceed $150/hour. I’m guessing on that so cut me some slack.

Now your home. The cost of rebuilding is crazy. Personally speaking, one of my homes happens to be all brick. The premium increased 40% year over year. I can’t imagine the cost of materials and labor to rebuild that place brick by brick. Our friends and neighbors in hurricane/flood plain/high risk areas are seeing correspondingly high percentage increases. Lumber, drywall, roofing, plumbing, etc. plus labor are all contributory factors.

It’s not about illegal aliens or stupid drivers (but they’re out there) or the government or your speeding ticket or rich people.

It’s about inflation. Been to a grocery store lately?

End of rant.
I agree.

But 3rd parties, including insurance companies, can still have access to trip/data telemetry.

If someone wants to enable vehicle trip/data telemetry -- aka CarData -- go ahead. Just read the fine print and know what data is being collected and where it goes. And what you can do to limit its distribution/sharing if you so desire.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 08:12 AM   #71
ScottyRyan2019
Licensed Professional Slacker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 and 2023 Mazda CX-30

Garage List
  [10.00]
  [10.00]
2024 BMW M2  [9.50]
Apparently some of you need one of these
Attached Images

03-23-2024, 08:48 AM   #72
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: Incoming G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyRyan2019 View Post
Apparently some of you need one of these
Actually I need 2 of those. One for each boob.

Read...no drive, the manual.
Appreciate 3
      03-23-2024, 08:52 AM   #73
ScottyRyan2019
Licensed Professional Slacker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 and 2023 Mazda CX-30

Garage List
  [10.00]
  [10.00]
2024 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. Hankey View Post
actually i need 2 of those. One for each boob.
😂😂😂