BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

02-19-2024, 03:53 PM   #1
Kentuckymike
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 m2 coupe

Anticipation for ordered m2

I’m sure this is a very common thing on here but I just ordered my g87 a week ago. And it’s already killing me. It’s my first time ordering a car let alone a car of my dreams. They had one allocation left when I ordered it so what ever that means he said it would help speed it up some. They said between 45-90 days is a good estimation for wait time but reading on here that might not be all that true. So what I’m getting at is can you guys tell me how long you had to wait from ordering till it was delivered. I’m dying from anticipation.
Appreciate 4
Ronin76739.00
ourlee917.00
      02-19-2024, 04:16 PM   #2
tj_lethal187
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW G87 M2

I am there with you man. Never ordered a car before and owning an M car has been a dream for a long time. I was given the same timeline so we will see. I entered production last week with no change thus far. I put a deposit down in December and got the allocation slot in January. Just a slow drip of progress.
Appreciate 2
      02-19-2024, 04:23 PM   #3
Kentuckymike
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj_lethal187 View Post
I am there with you man. Never ordered a car before and owning an M car has been a dream for a long time. I was given the same timeline so we will see. I entered production last week with no change thus far. I put a deposit down in December and got the allocation slot in January. Just a slow drip of progress.
Congratulations bub. Keep me updated on your progress if you don’t mind. You just being a few weeks ahead might give me an idea of what to expect. What is the specs on your oder?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 04:25 PM   #4
tj_lethal187
Enlisted Member
Rep

BGM automatic. Opted out of the carbon package because I really wanted a sunroof. Blue calipers black with blue accent interior.

What did you go with?
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2024, 04:33 PM   #5
Kentuckymike
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
BGM automatic. Opted out of the carbon package because I really wanted a sunroof. Blue calipers black with blue accent interior.

What did you go with?
Automatic, heated steering wheel, black with red calipers, shadow line package, wireless charger, I wanted the sun roof and regular seats. Cognac interior with carbon fiber accents. Remote start. The HUD. I think that’s all of it.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 04:39 PM   #6
BokTroy
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

I had a refundable deposit at a relatively high volume dealership in North GA back in March 2023 to put myself in the line. And I got my allocation in Jan 2024 with production of 3/5/24 as of now. So not sure if you count “order” as putting yourself in the list or start of getting an allocation. If latter, based on the spreadsheet people contributed somewhere in the forum it takes roughly about 3-5 Mo to get it delivered. Otherwise…it will depend on how many and how fast your dealership can get your the allocation to begin with.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2024, 04:45 PM   #7
Kentuckymike
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BokTroy View Post
I had a refundable deposit at a relatively high volume dealership in North GA back in March 2023 to put myself in the line. And I got my allocation in Jan 2024 with production of 3/5/24 as of now. So not sure if you count “order” as putting yourself in the list or start of getting an allocation. If latter, based on the spreadsheet people contributed somewhere in the forum it takes roughly about 3-5 Mo to get it delivered. Otherwise…it will depend on how many and how fast your dealership can get your the allocation to begin with.

Does it make a difference that they gave me their allocation when i ordered mine? Really hoping to get it in by the middle of May for my birthday but I’m doubtful I will. Btw congratulations on the order. What specs did you get?
And my deposit was non refundable
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 04:49 PM   #8
tj_lethal187
Enlisted Member
Rep

Nice, the black almost had me. I didn’t option in the HUD. Traded it in my budget for the M Performance suspension. I drove a M240i which had it though and it was nice. I’ll let you know when I change status. West Coast shipping might be different than East coast, and I am in a fairly small market. So we will see what the differences are in transit time.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2024, 04:57 PM   #9
Kentuckymike
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nice, the black almost had me. I didn’t option in the HUD. Traded it in my budget for the M Performance suspension. I drove a M240i which had it though and it was nice. I’ll let you know when I change status. West Coast shipping might be different than East coast, and I am in a fairly small market. So we will see what the differences are in transit time.
So they let me test drive a m240i just to get a feel of the car and its size and stuff. The salesman took me through this hillside suburb of Cincinnati and didn’t seem happy at all when I got sideways in a down hill corner. I tried to say it wasn’t on purpose but it totally was. Lol. I really liked it tbh. I can’t wait to see the difference between it and the m2. I’m curious too on how long the transit will be and the difference out here. I live in the middle of nowhere and they said they would drive me a loaner out and pick my car up for service if I wanted and I’m just over 100 miles away.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 05:06 PM   #10
iifymbro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 M2

Yeah it's tough lol, gotta distract yourself as much as possible.

The first part of the process is pretty nailed down unless you get unlucky with some part of your build delaying you (frozen paints up until the last couple weeks and bucket seats are the main ones for the M2).

Catching a train from plant to port then a ship to U.S port is what can stretch the timeline a fair bit, could take a week and a half for both or 4 weeks+ just depends how lucky you are with timing.

I ordered early January with a February allocation, currently in production with a 2/21 build date so hopefully hitting the assembly line here soon. Then will pray to the car gods to catch a train to port quickly so I'm ready to go when a ship arrives.

If you haven't already, get the production number from your client advisor if possible so you can then setup your MyGarage profile to track the process.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2024, 05:24 PM   #11
Carefree
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i, M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentuckymike View Post
So they let me test drive a m240i just to get a feel of the car and its size and stuff. The salesman took me through this hillside suburb of Cincinnati and didn’t seem happy at all when I got sideways in a down hill corner. I tried to say it wasn’t on purpose but it totally was. Lol. I really liked it tbh. I can’t wait to see the difference between it and the m2. I’m curious too on how long the transit will be and the difference out here. I live in the middle of nowhere and they said they would drive me a loaner out and pick my car up for service if I wanted and I’m just over 100 miles away.
We own a pair of m240i and a new M2.
They are completely different cars.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2024, 05:33 PM   #12
Kentuckymike
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iifymbro View Post
Yeah it's tough lol, gotta distract yourself as much as possible.

The first part of the process is pretty nailed down unless you get unlucky with some part of your build delaying you (frozen paints up until the last couple weeks and bucket seats are the main ones for the M2).

Catching a train from plant to port then a ship to U.S port is what can stretch the timeline a fair bit, could take a week and a half for both or 4 weeks+ just depends how lucky you are with timing.

I ordered early January with a February allocation, currently in production with a 2/21 build date so hopefully hitting the assembly line here soon. Then will pray to the car gods to catch a train to port quickly so I'm ready to go when a ship arrives.

If you haven't already, get the production number from your client advisor if possible so you can then setup your MyGarage profile to track the process.
Thank you for answering and congrats on the order!!

They gave me a production number before I left the dealership. I’ve been tracking it maybe too much lol. They said I got their last allocation when I ordered the car so I hope that helps. Really do appreciate the info. If you don’t mind and think of it I’d like to hear how yours comes along
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 05:34 PM   #13
BokTroy
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Does it make a difference that they gave me their allocation when i ordered mine? Really hoping to get it in by the middle of May for my birthday but I’m doubtful I will. Btw congratulations on the order. What specs did you get?
Definitly reach out to them asking a production number if the allocation is indeed intended for your build sheet, then you should be looking at 3-5 Month of time when a production date given. If the dealership is legit and your committed to get the car, non refundable deposit should be okay.
And thanks, I got the ZB auto bi-color wheel/red caliper. Normal seat with carbon roof and a lowering spring port install option. (Somewhat mid spec)
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2024, 05:37 PM   #14
Kentuckymike
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carefree View Post
We own a pair of m240i and a new M2.
They are completely different cars.
Just in power and handling? Right. I know it’s a different chassis and power train and stance. Does it make that big of a difference? Honestly I’m hoping it does for the better. I really liked the m240i and if the m2 is quite noticeable better it will live up to my expectations
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 05:40 PM   #15
Kentuckymike
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BokTroy View Post
Definitly reach out to them asking a production number if the allocation is indeed intended for your build sheet, then you should be looking at 3-5 Month of time when a production date given. If the dealership is legit and your committed to get the car, non refundable deposit should be okay.
And thanks, I got the ZB auto bi-color wheel/red caliper. Normal seat with carbon roof and a lowering spring port install option. (Somewhat mid spec)
Thanks bub I appreciate you answering me. And the sounds like a great build.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 05:46 PM   #16
Carefree
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i, M2

Quote:
Just in power and handling? Right. I know it’s a different chassis and power train and stance. Does it make that big of a difference? Honestly I’m hoping it does for the better. I really liked the m240i and if the m2 is quite noticeable better it will live up to my expectations
I suppose everybody has a different definition of “better”.
What I can say unequivocally is, your short road test is not representative of the M2. It’s an entirely different car.
If you enjoyed the handling and power of the M240i, you’ll be giddy with the M2 but it’s a much “stiffer” ride.
IMO
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2024, 05:49 PM   #17
Kentuckymike
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carefree View Post
I suppose everybody has a different definition of “better”.
What I can say unequivocally is, your short road test is not representative of the M2. It’s an entirely different car.
If you enjoyed the handling and power of the M240i, you’ll be giddy with the M2 but it’s a much “stiffer” ride.
IMO
Thank you. Put a smile on you face
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 06:53 PM   #18
rons e92
60-130 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

Quote:
When I ordered my M240i (4/22) I took over someone else's allocation that had already been scheduled for production. From the day that we changed the spec of the car to my spec to the date I took delivery was 91 days. Hopefully you have a similar experience, although it's very unlikely.

I got lucky again with my G87 when a different, nearby dealer ordered the exact car had ordered (7/23, no allocation this time) and I was able to put a deposit on it the day it arrived at their offsite warehouse.

Congratulations on the M2! Hopefully it arrives sooner rather than later.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2024, 06:59 PM   #19
Kentuckymike
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rons e92 View Post
When I ordered my M240i (4/22) I took over someone else's allocation that had already been scheduled for production. From the day that we changed the spec of the car to my spec to the date I took delivery was 91 days. Hopefully you have a similar experience, although it's very unlikely.

I got lucky again with my G87 when a different, nearby dealer ordered the exact car had ordered (7/23, no allocation this time) and I was able to put a deposit on it the day it arrived at their offsite warehouse.

Congratulations on the M2! Hopefully it arrives sooner rather than later.
Thank you. You’ve been a big help
Appreciate 1
rons e921397.00
      02-19-2024, 07:09 PM   #20
xtougher
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G87 M2 6MT

Congrats!

I have been documenting my process as well, and you can see it as I posted essentially real time of any updates. Hope it helps.

I'm getting towards the final steps of the wait, so hopefully there's at least one data point for you.

https://g87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2067982
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2024, 07:33 PM   #21
Kentuckymike
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtougher View Post
Congrats!

I have been documenting my process as well, and you can see it as I posted essentially real time of any updates. Hope it helps.

I'm getting towards the final steps of the wait, so hopefully there's at least one data point for you.

https://g87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2067982
Thank you so much. I appreciate that. Congrats on the car btw
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 09:17 PM   #22
wjones14
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Congrats! I ordered my 2021 M2 Comp on Mar 8 2021 and took delivery on Jun 12 2021. So a few days more than 3 months.

It's the 3rd car that I ordered. The first was a 2005 Mustang GT and the second was a 2015 BMW M235i. I bought a 2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE in between the M235i and M2, but I bought a Camaro that was sitting in a showroom with 3 miles on it and it was equipped exactly as I wanted.

As far as the wait, just enjoy it. Spend time reading the forums and even your PDF owner's manuals to learn everything you can before taking delivery. To me, the joy of the anticipation almost exceeds the actual delivery, as weird as that sounds. Once you have it, there's nothing else to look forward to other than enjoying it, but while you're awaiting delivery, the anticipation and excitement is awesome.