03-13-2024, 03:23 PM   #23
Ugly Kar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 to C43 Cab to G42

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-RO View Post
So EV's are costing all of us money?
Yes, there are multiple studies and articles on the EV thread that explain why.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 05:04 PM   #24
RootsTootsMagoots
Private
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

My M2 is more expensive to insure than my previous electric car. Everything is more expensive, pinning it on EVs is classic confirmation bias.
Appreciate 1
aerobod3625.50
      03-13-2024, 05:15 PM   #25
Ravenseal
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angmar View Post
My insurance premium jumped up 30 percent on my renewal for my 2024 M2 when renewal came up in January. I called my insurance company to ask them why the hell my rate would skyrocket if I had no accidents or tickets and they were unable to provide me with an answer. I then called Farmers insurance to get a quote and they quoted me $7000 to insure my M2 and 2018 grand Cherokee which was 3000 more than what progressive is now charging me. Then this morning on the news they were talking about how car makers are giving out driving data (speed, braking forces, miles per day etc…) and that people were getting crazy rate hikes.

Has anyone else’s insurance mysteriously shot up for no apparent reason? I’m talking big not normal rate hikes.

It’s definitely happening and I’m so angry that I didn’t turn all the privacy stuff on in idrive as soon as I got my car.
Insurance is going up across the entire country. It has nothing to do with manufacturers sharing your data, but maybe slow down.

Retired: 2022 M240i xDrive | 2021 Audi RS5 | 2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT | 2016 428i GC | 2011 BMW 335is
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 05:40 PM   #26
Good 4 2 reasons
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 G42 m240ix, '18 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootsTootsMagoots View Post
My M2 is more expensive to insure than my previous electric car. Everything is more expensive, pinning it on EVs is classic confirmation bias.
I can't speak to a fellow member's headspace, but I imagine the suggestion is a 60k EV is going to be more expensive to insure than a 60k ICE vehicle. If your M2 valued the exact same amount as 2 door sports car EV when you switched insurances, I stand corrected.
2015 VW Golf 1.8t 5-speed (sold)
2004 Chevy Cavalier (hopefully crushed by now)
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 05:54 PM   #27
DailyDownshift
Battle Tactician
Canada
Rep
Drives: TR G87

Quote:
My insurance premium jumped up 30 percent on my renewal for my 2024 M2 when renewal came up in January. I called my insurance company to ask them why the hell my rate would skyrocket if I had no accidents or tickets and they were unable to provide me with an answer. I then called Farmers insurance to get a quote and they quoted me $7000 to insure my M2 and 2018 grand Cherokee which was 3000 more than what progressive is now charging me. Then this morning on the news they were talking about how car makers are giving out driving data (speed, braking forces, miles per day etc…) and that people were getting crazy rate hikes.

Has anyone else’s insurance mysteriously shot up for no apparent reason? I’m talking big not normal rate hikes.

It’s definitely happening and I’m so angry that I didn’t turn all the privacy stuff on in idrive as soon as I got my car.
DUDE, My insurance jumped like crazy too!! An extra $60 a month, absolutely ridiculous. If this is true it's such an infringement of privacy..

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 06:37 PM   #28
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Appreciate 1
      03-13-2024, 06:50 PM   #29
Angmar
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 2024

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Power Rob View Post
Insurance is sky rocketing everywhere, period. Its location, type of car on top of the usual parameters they review. You are also adding an M car, they do know what that is (its the potential, not necessarily how you drive).
The insurance went up 30 percent three months later after my initial rate…not just because I added an m car. No doubt about a few months after insuring my car they got my driving data which yes I do drive it aggressively and boom. It’s happening to a lot of people google it…
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 09:20 PM   #30
RootsTootsMagoots
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good 4 2 reasons View Post
I can't speak to a fellow member's headspace, but I imagine the suggestion is a 60k EV is going to be more expensive to insure than a 60k ICE vehicle. If your M2 valued the exact same amount as 2 door sports car EV when you switched insurances, I stand corrected.
Yes, they were approximately the same. A Mach E GT that had a $67k MSRP vs my M2 which was $69k. M2 is $220/mo. The Mach E was $150 a month. USAA for both. Could be that my premium was going to rise anyway this year, but the EV was certainly not more expensive.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 09:45 PM   #31
M_Power Rob
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
The insurance went up 30 percent three months later after my initial rate…not just because I added an m car. No doubt about a few months after insuring my car they got my driving data which yes I do drive it aggressively and boom. It’s happening to a lot of people google it…

Sorry, not buying that. Mine went up $60/month just by adding the car. Six months later, at my renewal time, it went up over $2k/year. I have, or had, Travelers and they are not writing new policies in Florida (it may have been their "polite" way of getting rid of me, or making me drop them). In the six months I owned the car, it was not driven for two plus months while various modifications were being done. With just 3500 miles, and much of that driving to and from work, I dont think they took how the car was driven into consideration.
Appreciate 2
Carefree1575.50
aerobod3625.50
      03-13-2024, 10:50 PM   #32
DS_BMW
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 comp, 22 M240

Don't ever sign up for those good driver programs that track you. If you do get two phones lol!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 04:54 AM   #33
Ugly Kar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 to C43 Cab to G42

Quote:
So what makes you think just because your insurance isn't more means EV's aren't more expensive to repair? Of course insurance on an M2 is expensive.
https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...tery%20charger.
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2024, 06:45 AM   #34
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack@AUTOID View Post
Lets be honest, its not in BMWs interest to share how their customers drive their cars with insurance companies. BMW do not want their customers to pay a lot for insurance, as it reduces the number of prospective customers. So in my opinion, no, they do not share this data.
Not all that a car company does is in the best interests of the customer.

I would not be surprised to learn BMW was selling customer data to whoever wants it and is willing to pay for it. Any car company that offers remote engine start a subscription option would sell trip/driving data in a NY second.

Car companies passing on info to insurance companies may be the least of your worries regarding privacy...

Article in I think last Saturday's WSJ reports on the CIA obtaining data on private citizens not by spying but simply buying the data.
Appreciate 1
Ugly Kar414.50
      03-14-2024, 07:18 AM   #35
Carefree
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i, M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrusher View Post
Not all that a car company does is in the best interests of the customer.

I would not be surprised to learn BMW was selling customer data to whoever wants it and is willing to pay for it. Any car company that offers remote engine start a subscription option would sell trip/driving data in a NY second.

Car companies passing on info to insurance companies may be the least of your worries regarding privacy...

Article in I think last Saturday's WSJ reports on the CIA obtaining data on private citizens not by spying but simply buying the data.
The M Performance foil aluminum helmet will be offered on the option list beginning with MY 2025.
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2024, 08:14 AM   #36
two_three_two
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW R32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carefree View Post
The M Performance foil aluminum helmet will be offered on the option list beginning with MY 2025.
I've had the generic version of this for years, i'm not sure upgrading to the M performance version will yield any tangible improvements. might actually be less reliable. YMMV
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 11:00 AM   #37
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carefree View Post
Well, I came across a similar discussion in a MINI forum and MINI privacy document has a clause that allows it to share driving data with among other entities insurance companies.

And one contributor reported his LexisNexis report contained pages of driving data.

I just checked a copy of my LexisNexis report and it contains no driving data.

More specifically for BMW owners...

Here's a paste from the Terms and Conditions BMW CarData:

1.3. The BMW CarData service allows BMW NA to offer its customers the option of easy access to Vehicle Data collected as part of their use of ConnectedDrive services and to release the Vehicle Data to third parties authorized by the customer.

1.4. Customers provide express direction to BMW NA to release Vehicle Data selected by the customer to third parties. Customers may modify their selection for data release or cancel the release of data at any time.

And...

2. Description of BMW CarData

2.1 BMW CarData offers BMW NA customers the option of viewing their selected Vehicle Data and to release the data for transmission to third parties. For example, the data transmitted to third parties could include information about vehicle mileage or fuel level. A list of the available Vehicle Data can be found in the CarData elements glossary included your CarData Report download.

2.2 In order to use BMW CarData, an existing BMW ConnectedDrive subscriber agreement (“contract”) in accordance with the BMW ConnectedDrive Terms and Conditions is required, and the customer vehicle must be linked to that account.

More:

2.3 Once the term of the customer’s BMW ConnectedDrive contract terminates, so does BMW CarData.

2.4 The customer can request a report file via BMW CarData to view Vehicle Data. The customer is informed by e-mail as soon as the Vehicle Data report is available and can be downloaded.

2.5 Only the ConnectedDrive Primary Subscriber can consent to the release of specific portions of the Vehicle Data to third party requests for the specific portions of the Vehicle Data. The Primary Subscriber may modify or reject his or her consent of Vehicle Data release to third parties; however, the customer is responsible for any agreements with third parties to release Vehicle Data. For example, a customer’s agreement with his/her car insurance company to provide access to selected Vehicle Data could be negatively affected if the customer rejects the release of the Vehicle Data to the third party insurance company.

Now it is possible that in the fine print of one's car insurance policy he grants the insurance company access to data collected by in this case BMW.
Appreciate 1
Mr. Hankey1028.50
      03-14-2024, 11:14 AM   #38
Carefree
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i, M2

Quote:
Well, I came across a similar discussion in a MINI forum and MINI privacy document has a clause that allows it to share driving data with among other entities insurance companies.

And one contributor reported his LexisNexis report contained pages of driving data.

I just checked a copy of my LexisNexis report and it contains no driving data.

More specifically for BMW owners...

Here's a paste from the Terms and Conditions BMW CarData:

1.3. The BMW CarData service allows BMW NA to offer its customers the option of easy access to Vehicle Data collected as part of their use of ConnectedDrive services and to release the Vehicle Data to third parties authorized by the customer.

1.4. Customers provide express direction to BMW NA to release Vehicle Data selected by the customer to third parties. Customers may modify their selection for data release or cancel the release of data at any time.

And...

[B]2. Description of BMW CarData

2.1 BMW CarData offers BMW NA customers the option of viewing their selected Vehicle Data and to release the data for transmission to third parties. For example, the data transmitted to third parties could include information about vehicle mileage or fuel level. A list of the available Vehicle Data can be found in the CarData elements glossary included your CarData Report download.

2.2 In order to use BMW CarData, an existing BMW ConnectedDrive subscriber agreement (“contract”) in accordance with the BMW ConnectedDrive Terms and Conditions is required, and the customer vehicle must be linked to that [...]
My understanding is a properly worn tin foil hat enables car and driver total invisibility from all external intrusion.

I heard that from a friend.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 11:18 AM   #39
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: Incoming G87

Quote:
Now it is possible that in the fine print of one's car insurance policy he grants the insurance company access to data collected by in this case BMW.
This is useful, thank you. Nice to know that BMW won't share information unless customer requests it (and what I'd expect from BMW). Based on this last statement and the BMW terms, you'd have to be giving your insurer some sort of power of attorney or an explicit consent signed for them to get this info from BMW on your behalf. Meaning you'd be willingly signing up for these programs that reward "safe" driving.

In my view sometimes safe driving means mega accelerations or heavy use of brakes. And for those of us who track our street cars, how will the insurers parse that out of the data.

Investigating this GM was (and is) selling this data on their cars "along with other manufacturers". If BMW was doing this and I couldn't opt out, then I would tell BMW to keep their car and go pickup a 67 fastback mustang (or I'd pull the 5G module out of the car).

Having family members that work for certain services of the federal government, don't be so sure that your tinfoil hats will work M-tinfoil or knockoff ( I do love that part of the discussion though). Use VPNs instead.

Read...no drive, the manual.

Last edited by Mr. Hankey; 03-14-2024 at 11:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 01:08 PM   #40
RootsTootsMagoots
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Kar View Post
So what makes you think just because your insurance isn't more means EV's aren't more expensive to repair? Of course insurance on an M2 is expensive.
https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...tery%20charger.
I'm not sure what your point is? The claim I responded to alleged that EVs are the cause for higher insurance premiums for everyone. That's complete nonsense.

Did you even read your own link? They looked at one Kia model, and the EV had lower claim frequency under all applicable coverages. It's cost times frequency, while inexplicably, you all seem to focus solely on cost. In my own experience, a $60k+ 500 hp EV was about 33% cheaper to insure than a $60k+ 500 hp M2. If EVs were the cause of rate hikes, you'd expect rates to reflect that somewhat.

There are many reasons to not like EVs (after all, I went EV -> ICE). However, at least provide valid reasons. The blanket claim that "EVs are causing muh insurance to increase" is delusional.
Appreciate 1
aerobod3625.50
      03-14-2024, 01:17 PM   #41
Tag
this is the way
Rep

You need to login with your ConnectedDrive account to view.

https://mygarage.bmwusa.com/car-data.html
Appreciate 1
Mr. Hankey1028.50
      03-14-2024, 01:29 PM   #42
Tag
this is the way
Rep

FAQ's

What is BMW CarData?

BMW CarData enables you to regularly review which telematics data of your vehicle, such as the battery voltage or the date for brake fluid change, are stored and transmitted and at what time by BMW to third parties with your permission. BMW CarData makes it easy to permit third party access to your BMW telematics data or to remove permission, giving you the ability to control your telematics data.

What value does BMW CarData add?

With BMW CarData, customers always have an overview of the telematics data that their vehicle sends to BMW as part of BMW ConnectedDrive services and that is stored there. Customers can request a BMW CarData report at any time so they know what telematics data BMW has currently stored for their vehicle. BMW CarData provides third parties with the option of offering customers customized, personalized services based on their telematics data. Customers can benefit, for instance, from, an insurance policy with premiums based on your actual mileage. You will find further information on the BMW ConnectedDrive customer portal https://www.bmwusa.com/MyBMWConnectedDrive.com. Upon logging in to the portal, select "My account > BMW CarData".

What are the requirements to be able to use BMW CarData?

BMW CarData is available for all telematics-enabled BMW vehicles that are linked to an active BMW ConnectedDrive Account and that have a built-in and activated SIM card. Once your vehicle is connected to your BMW ConnectedDrive account, telematics data that is transferred to and stored on a BMW server is accessible through BMW CarData.

Who has access to this data?

With BMW CarData, customers always have an overview of the telematics data that their vehicle sends to BMW as part of BMW ConnectedDrive services and that is stored there. Customers can request a BMW CarData report at any time so they know what telematics data BMW has currently stored for their vehicle. Third parties can access selected telematics data in order to offer you personalized services - provided that you explicitly direct BMW to release this data to this third party. You alone decide to whom you entrust your data. The telematics data will not be forwarded to any third parties other than those to which you have directed BMW to send data.

For which BMW vehicles are BMW CarData services offered?

BMW CarData is available for all telematics-enabled BMW vehicles that are linked to an active BMW ConnectedDrive Account and that have a built-in and activated SIM card.

I want to use BMW CarData, but not BMW ConnectedDrive. Is this possible?

Unfortunately not, as BMW CarData is a service based on BMW ConnectedDrive. Using BMW CarData requires an active BMW ConnectedDrive contract. You do not need to add any additional BMW ConnectedDrive services to be able to use BMW CarData.

How is the telematics data generated?

A telematics-compatible BMW vehicle sends specific telematics data to BMW within a valid BMW ConnectedDrive account, subject to service use and availability. This data will be stored on a BMW server. BMW CarData offers BMW customers the option of seeing their currently stored data at any time. Third parties in turn can access specific telematics data with the customer's permission in order to develop and offer personalized services that previously were not available - provided that the customer has explicitly released this data for this third party. So the customer alone decides to whom to entrust their data. If you deactivate the mobile network connection for your vehicle, your subscribed services will no longer be available. Additionally, BMW Assist eCall will no longer be available (i.e., both Manual Emergency Call and Automatic Collision Notification).

There is active data access for my vehicle. What should I take into account when selling the vehicle?

When selling your vehicle, we recommend that you perform the "BMW CarData Reset" function on the CarData home page within the BMW ConnectedDrive customer portal. Once logged in to the BMW ConnectedDrive portal, the BMW CarData home page is accessed via "My account > BMW CarData". From the home page of BMW CarData, scroll down to the bottom of page and select the function "Reset BMW CarData". Then, follow the prompts to reset BMW CarData. Please note: The reset might have consequences for your contractual relationship with the third party to which you have granted access to your telematics data. If you have questions, please contact the third party or parties before starting the reset.

How does the transfer of my data to third parties via BMW CarData work?

A telematics-compatible BMW vehicle sends specific telematics data to BMW within a valid BMW ConnectedDrive account, subject to service use and availability. This data will be stored on a BMW server. BMW CarData offers BMW customers the option of seeing their currently stored data at any time. Third parties in turn can access selected telematics data in order to offer you personalized services - provided that you explicitly direct BMW to release this data to this third party.

I have received a request for data access from a third party. How do I find out for which purpose my data are to be used?

To find out about a specific third party request for BMW CarData for your vehicle, utilize the "Manage access permissions" function on the BMW CarData home page within the BMW ConnectedDrive customer portal. Once logged in to the BMW ConnectedDrive portal, the BMW CarData home page is accessed via "My account > BMW CarData". From the home page of BMW CarData, select the function "Manage access permissions". On the "Manage access permissions" page, click on the name of the "Data package" that is relevant to the data access request you received. Then, you can view details about the BMW CarData access requested by the third party and how they want to use your CarData elements. If you have any questions, consult the third party directly.
Appreciate 2
Mr. Hankey1028.50
ayilar16.00
      03-14-2024, 01:50 PM   #43
BroDoze
Captain
Rep
Drives: Stuff

Quote:
I'm not sure what your point is? The claim I responded to alleged that EVs are the cause for higher insurance premiums for everyone. That's complete nonsense.

Did you even read your own link? They looked at one Kia model, and the EV had lower claim frequency under all applicable coverages. It's cost times frequency, while inexplicably, you all seem to focus solely on cost. In my own experience, a $60k+ 500 hp EV was about 33% cheaper to insure than a $60k+ 500 hp M2. If EVs were the cause of rate hikes, you'd expect rates to reflect that somewhat.

There are many reasons to not like EVs (after all, I went EV -> ICE). However, at least provide valid reasons. The blanket claim that "EVs are causing muh insurance to increase" is delusional.
I'll just say that the insurance companies could be doing whatever they want behind the scenes. This big green push is using all sorts of incentives to push people towards EVs. I wouldn't put it past them being told to collectively make EVs (and their insurance policies) more attractive to buyers/owners, and then spreading the real cost of EVs to the rest of the non-EV policy holders. Anything is possible. So unless you have factual evidence to the contrary, using blanket statements as fact, with no proof, is... silly.
      03-15-2024, 12:47 AM   #44
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

This is absolute & complete malarkey in its purest form. Another reason to like cars that are a touch older. Big brother can't track us. I just went to my account & it said BMW ConnectedDrive is currently not active. Thank goodness...

2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///

Last edited by Kevin_The_Clean1; 03-15-2024 at 01:43 AM..
Appreciate 2
M2siast5876.00
Carefree1575.50