E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Purchased aliexpress headunit... 2008 e93 conv

08-14-2024, 10:00 PM   #1
saucyiwnl
Rep
Drives: e93 328i

Angry Purchased aliexpress headunit... 2008 e93 conv

Greetings! This is my first post on this sub, just recently purchased aftermarket headunit and everything would work perfectly fine other than the fact they sent me out a e90-2 idrive knob that would not fit in the console other than the fact of molding it properly but the only thing is aesthetically the idrive is much narrower since I have a no ccc model so essentially i should only have the knob and one button as per oem of these e93s. But since they sent me a e9x model i wont be able to mold it to perfection like how some of these models look like. Very disappointed in aliexpress but i couldnt expect less of them to send me the incorrect model and say just still ur center console. the oem style is a little bit dated because it only have a knob the only thing in hindsight if i mold it to fit i will have the e90 style idrive with multimedia keys. im just concerned when doing this molding if i fuck it up i need a new center console. its one of these dashboard cut ones which ive been over the fence of just doing that simply and now my idrive module is going to be a diy makes me even more on the fence for this. does anyone know if there would be an aftermarket ccc e93 styled that can be wired onto the headunit? if not i prolly just charge back with sell im within my return but i would just wanna get the money back and keep head unit ( unethical but seller is pos )
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2024, 12:49 PM   #2
Gemini562
Private
Rep
Drives: E90

Buying parts from AliExpress is like a game of roulette, you might score a deal, or you might end up with a part that’s about as useful as a screen door on a submarine. You get what you pay for, dude.
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2024, 10:09 AM   #3
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

I didn't know the knobs were different--can you just get a new center console trim to match?
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2024, 04:31 PM   #4
TiAgAu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

OP has a ccc idrive control knob. Dont need to change it anyway. Perhaps show us what you got and we could be of more help.
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2024, 02:28 AM   #5
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgAu View Post
OP has a ccc idrive control knob. Dont need to change it anyway. Perhaps show us what you got and we could be of more help.
I'm not sure of the aliexpress head units, but both the old and new style knobs work with both CIC and CCC factory iDrive systems. I upgraded to CIC and my old CCC knob works great; I prefer it because it's metallic and has haptic feedback unlike the CIC knob with all the buttons that just clicks.

saucyiwnl try connecting your existing knob to the new system and see what happens. If it works, that's easier than swapping out the center trim.
Appreciate 2
TiAgAu210.50
      09-02-2024, 10:35 PM   #6
saucyiwnl
Rep

sorry for the delay on the post i ended up returning the hu drilling the dash is so extensive and devaluing the car, i have ccc ( i think ) which basically means i dont have idrive in my car since im e93 my cup holder is rather smaller the size exact of an m6 idrive the headunit shit is super complicated with these chinese sellers and overall there isnt much support for e93 as ive done my research on it so i just bought a cigarrette lighter plug and play that i can use aux through my phone and carplay comes through my phone to aux rather than having the yanky audio quality. after my experience i dont think i will ever go aftermarket on a car that isnt from asia since there isnt that much support even though it wouldve worked fine for e93 i just would want the idrive styled system
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2024, 10:36 PM   #7
saucyiwnl
Rep

my apologizes i do not have a infotainment system
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2024, 10:53 PM   #8
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Your mistake was thinking your car had CCC.

You bought a kit for a car already equipped with factory Nav when yours doesn't have that.
Appreciate 1
      09-04-2024, 11:43 PM   #9
saucyiwnl
Rep

i do not have navigation, specifically seller said was for non navi. pointless to drill holes nuntheless, enjoy my current infotainment cuz i didnt have to ruin my car to get it obviously small issues with it but aliexpress headunits are quirky but id rather not drill a whole and have issues regarding it would be frustrating as hell. to my understanding ccc doesnt have idrive, cic does. i purchased a ccc model i dont have anything factory i have an e93 which doesnt have an elongated cupholder which is most closely similar to the 6 series style idrive knob just one button with knob.

TLDR dont buy android headunits where u have to ruin ur dash if u want a dash headunit just get some 3m and aliexpress portable cigarrette lighter one and aux connect + carplay so u dont have to sacrifice lower music qual
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2024, 11:45 PM   #10
saucyiwnl
Rep

dont have idrive already if this was for e93 link ur headunit to see i have small console piece for 6 series styled cuz its vert
Appreciate 0