E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Steering Wheel Off after Oil Pan replacement

Yesterday, 05:05 PM   #1
335xiE90
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi

Steering Wheel Off after Oil Pan replacement

Need some opinions! I finished up my oil pan on my 140k mile north east rust bucket and I only have one issue. My steering wheel is off about 60 degrees. I had the steering wheel locked so I must have moved the damn steering rack when pulling the subframe. I'm looking for the best option to fix it. My first thought is I need to pull that steering shaft off the rack again and reseat it. My only issue is getting it lined up right. It's a huge PITA taking that thing off and on.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 06:41 PM   #2
Dwifter
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Probably just needs an alignment. When you remove the control arms and the steering rack, they don't go 100% back to exactly where they are. There's a trick you can do to get it closer. Loosen the steering rack bolts and physically move the rack the very little it will move. I've seen it get closer and do nothing at all. Sometimes messing with the anti-roll bar will do the same. This won't fix your alignment, but it can make it feel a little better. Any time the suspension is messed with, a good rule of thumb is to get an alignment after. If the steering rack moved at all, you might be able to unbolt the steering shaft and straighten out the wheel and rack. When lining up the steering shaft and rack, did you have to rotate either? If you over rotate the clockspring, you'll damage it. Hopefully something here helps.

Also, if you unbolt the rack and slide it out a little, it might give you a little more play so it isn't so hard to remove the rack from the steering shaft.
Appreciate 2
GoRomeo1227.00
      Yesterday, 10:39 PM   #3
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwifter View Post
Probably just needs an alignment. When you remove the control arms and the steering rack, they don't go 100% back to exactly where they are.
There's no way to mess up the alignment by removing the steering rack or sway bar. They only go in one way and there's virtually no deviation, nothing that would affect alignment at least. You could remove control arms and reattach them and that wouldnt noticeably affect alignment either. Only thing that changes alignment is the tie rod adjustment, or if you upgrade control arms (m3 wishbones are longer, requiring toe adjustment by changing the tie rod position.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335xiE90 View Post
My first thought is I need to pull that steering shaft off the rack again and reseat it.
What do you mean again? If you removed the steering shaft from the rack that's likely the issue, it wasn't aligned. I haven't ever done the job, is there an index mark or some other way to ensure the shaft is attached to the rack at a specific position?
Appreciate 2
      Yesterday, 11:57 PM   #4
3PedalJake
Neo-Luddite
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i, 330i 6MT RWD Sport

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [5.25]
Agree with lowrydr310 you can't mess up alignment by removing the rack, it's a pretty tight tolerance, it goes back in exactly the same place every time.

Yes there are locators, the upper steering shaft u-joint has a key groove and the lower u-joint indexes on the black plastic disk with the centering pointer on it. The little locating tab gets broken off fairly easily.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1