E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Question About Radiator Drain Plug

01-12-2021, 04:10 PM   #1
NocheDeZippeh
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i M Sport

Question About Radiator Drain Plug

My radiator has developed a slow leak, so I ordered a replacement (Mahle) from FCP Euro. The original radiator has what BMW calls a "control sleeve" that snaps into place in the drain hole, with a smaller drain plug contained within the sleeve. Apparently, BMW used this radiator on both automatic and manual transmission cars, but AT cars and MT cars used different control sleeves (I guess to route coolant to the AT heat exchanger?).

Anyway, the replacement radiator came with a generic screw in plug in the drain hole, and the appropriate AT control sleeve does not fit in the hole. I checked with FCP Euro and the Mahle website, and they both say that the radiator with the generic screw in plug is the right radiator. Has anyone else encountered this?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 08:35 PM   #2
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

If Mahle has separate auto/manual radiators and both FCPEuro and Mahle say they don't use a control sleeve, then I'd say that's how it supposed to be. Those control sleeves are a PITA anyway.
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2021, 11:16 PM   #3
NocheDeZippeh
Private
Rep

Near as I can tell after watching this:

the AT cooler will maybe just get a little more coolant flow than it would with the control sleeve scheme.

I guess if FCP Euro and Mahle agree on this, then I'll just roll with it.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 10:36 AM   #4
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NocheDeZippeh View Post
My radiator has developed a slow leak, so I ordered a replacement (Mahle) from FCP Euro. The original radiator has what BMW calls a "control sleeve" that snaps into place in the drain hole, with a smaller drain plug contained within the sleeve. Apparently, BMW used this radiator on both automatic and manual transmission cars, but AT cars and MT cars used different control sleeves (I guess to route coolant to the AT heat exchanger?).

Anyway, the replacement radiator came with a generic screw in plug in the drain hole, and the appropriate AT control sleeve does not fit in the hole. I checked with FCP Euro and the Mahle website, and they both say that the radiator with the generic screw in plug is the right radiator. Has anyone else encountered this?

I installed this Mahle rad this year (February 2021) and now it's leaking at the drain plug. Need to figure out what to do.

Anyone know where to source Mahle radiator drain plug?

Last edited by Wolf 335; 11-16-2021 at 09:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 04:52 PM   #5
maximoline
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 Bmw 328i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NocheDeZippeh View Post

Did you figure it out? I have the same issue and I want to be sure
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 08:49 AM   #6
NocheDeZippeh
Private
Rep

Funny thing - my Mahle radiator eventually developed a leak along the metal/plastic junction on the driver's side, so I replaced it with a CSF radiator that happens to use the control sleeve. The drain plug on the Mahle radiator seemed to work fine.
Appreciate 0