mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

windshield

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I picked up my M240i at the beginning of December and have driven it about 800 miles up to this point. I had a question about the windshield for anyone who has picked one up recently as well. when driving into the sun the windshield has tons of little marks in it like it has been sandblasted. in fact it looks like a windshield on a car that I have driven for a couple of years already. typically windshields on new cars are super clear and it takes some time and driving for it to look this way. just curious if anyone else has noticed this on their new 2. it is super annoying especially since I haven't noticed getting blasted by sand or rocks while driving it this past month.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 11:54 AM   #2
Vudumonkey25
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i x Mercedes CLS550

I feel like mine is super clean. About 900 miles in so far
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 01:14 PM   #3
M_85
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i

My windshield is super clean and I have 970 miles on my new m240i. I would def take the car back to BMW and see what's up with that.
Appreciate 1
yanks1484.00
      12-31-2021, 01:46 PM   #4
G42Bama
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G42

I'm at 1700 miles and mines clean 🤷🏻*♂️
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 02:10 PM   #5
mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep

thanks all for the responses. I'm glad to hear that you all have clean windshields and so mine must be an anomaly. it doesn't make much sense why it looks the way it does and it really pisses me off! do you all think the windshield could have gotten sand blasted like this during transport from the port to the dealership in Denver? I'm not sure if they protect the windshields at all during transport.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 03:05 PM   #6
M_85
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblaucoupe135 View Post
thanks all for the responses. I'm glad to hear that you all have clean windshields and so mine must be an anomaly. it doesn't make much sense why it looks the way it does and it really pisses me off! do you all think the windshield could have gotten sand blasted like this during transport from the port to the dealership in Denver? I'm not sure if they protect the windshields at all during transport.
I hope that didn't happen during transport. Def take it to BMW and let them replace the windshield for you since it was delivered to you that way.
Appreciate 1
      12-31-2021, 04:19 PM   #7
mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_85 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mblaucoupe135 View Post
I hope that didn't happen during transport. Def take it to BMW and let them replace the windshield for you since it was delivered to you that way.
yeah I agree. I just wish I had noticed it sooner as now I've had the car for a while and they might try to blame it on me.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 07:38 PM   #8
bmwloverm2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i 2022

I have 2 experiences of this kind in the past:

1) if you touch your windshiled from outside do yo notice something in your fingers when moving them alongside it?

If you notice something, sometimes it can be sap from trees. There are trees that simply let go micro-drops of sap and it can be super disgusting. they are not big drops, but micro micro drops.

2) Another thing i noticed is when i got re-painted a car i had, happened that they of course covered all non-paintable things when the painted it BUT of course the car was not covered when someone sprayed a piece of other car "near" the car, instead of putting it inside the painting cabin.

That made that micro-drops fly to my windshield. So basically i could se them when driving against the sun, supermicro ones, but they were there... they had to "polish" my windshield to remove them. disgusting.

===

Finally, a tip, but this is not something i lived but something i heard. Removing the windshield and replacing it is something that if you can, avoid it, seems that the glass of the windshield provides a nice % of the structure rigidity of the whole car, i think i read something like it's like 15%. Of course replacing it won't make that 15% dissapear, you'll have a new one, but since sometimes people do bad works, i would prefer not to play with something that if bad replaced can be a cause of new problems if it is not properly placed/sealed.

But as i say, this is more something i heard than anything else.

Hope you can find the root cause of your problem!
Appreciate 1
DSTR1212.50
      01-01-2022, 10:56 AM   #9
tahoebimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

Maybe you or the dealer put rain-x on it? It leaves a film that is noticeable under certain lighting conditions.
Appreciate 0