BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications

05-07-2024, 09:09 PM   #1
xps
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw M2

Installing midpipe without a lift

Has anyone installed mid pipe without putting the car on a lift. I am going to attempt it tomorrow, but I am a little worried about the accessibility. Any one has any tips?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 09:39 PM   #2
Chi58
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: g82

Super easy , you can make your cuts without removing the rear
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 06:45 AM   #3
Resoelg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 ZV-Blue

Garage List
24 G87  [10.00]
Be safe! Ramps or stands with backups. You know the drill.
Appreciate 1
JCoR183.00
      05-08-2024, 10:56 AM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resoelg View Post
Be safe! Ramps or stands with backups. You know the drill.
+1

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 03:12 PM   #5
mtenhoven
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Z4 sDrive30i & 2024 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi58 View Post
Super easy , you can make your cuts without removing the rear
Agreed. Same done here.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 10:03 PM   #6
xps
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw M2

Completed the install.

Jacked the car on the side and placed ramps front and rear on the passenger side. Added 2 2x8s below the wheels for extra clearance.

Since the car is new, removing the nuts were easy, I was getting excited to have already unbolted the exhaust within 5mins.

Then came the hardest part of install. Struggled with the exhaust cutter tool from Amazon. It started cutting through half circumference of the exhaust pipe and wouldn't get the teeths deep enough into the other half.Then gave up and got an electric saw which took 2 mins to cut it through. Regret the time wasted . I would still get the exhaust cutter tool to get a inital clean line for the saw to pass through clean. This should have been done is 15mins max but took 2hrs.

Then the other issue is that the IRL midpipe has clearance issue on one of the four bolts that connect to the cats. This is due to the shape of the mid pipe. No tool I have fit. Took another 15mins getting to hand tight then slowly torqued with a open box wrench 1/8th turn at a time. I am still not very confident about this nut being properly torqued.

I then started connecting the pipes all the way from front to the back, then put the clamps on not too tight so that still allows some wiggling. Then inserted a wedge between the mid pipe and the exhaust brace to give proper clearance and this also helped with the alignment of the pipes. Then tightened the clamps from the back to front.

Another issue is the bolt length on the rear clamps is hardly enough. It is a struggle to have it in place,put 4 different pieces together, apply some clamping force with hand so the nut can be threaded, then tighten. 1/2" extra length would have saved so much effort and time. After using all my strength lying on the floor I got to hand thread through and then used the impact wrench to tighten the rest. Luckily the other 3 clamps have good bolt length.

Impression- The sound is improved but still not loud enough. Now I can hear exhaust from inside the car. The loudness has increased at higher rpms and remains same as stock when cruising.

May be I should get the valve controller next?

Overall the DIY is 5/10 on easy to hard scale
Appreciate 3
      05-08-2024, 10:13 PM   #7
M_Power Rob
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xps View Post
Completed the install.

Jacked the car on the side and placed ramps front and rear on the passenger side. Added 2 2x8s below the wheels for extra clearance.

Since the car is new, removing the nuts were easy, I was getting excited to have already unbolted the exhaust within 5mins.

Then came the hardest part of install. Struggled with the exhaust cutter tool from Amazon. It started cutting through half circumference of the exhaust pipe and wouldn't get the teeths deep enough into the other half.Then gave up and got an electric saw which took 2 mins to cut it through. Regret the time wasted . I would still get the exhaust cutter tool to get a inital clean line for the saw to pass through clean. This should have been done is 15mins max but took 2hrs.

Then the other issue is that the IRL midpipe has clearance issue on one of the four bolts that connect to the cats. This is due to the shape of the mid pipe. No tool I have fit. Took another 15mins getting to hand tight then slowly torqued with a open box wrench 1/8th turn at a time. I am still not very confident about this nut being properly torqued.

I then started connecting the pipes all the way from front to the back, then put the clamps on not too tight so that still allows some wiggling. Then inserted a wedge between the mid pipe and the exhaust brace to give proper clearance and this also helped with the alignment of the pipes. Then tightened the clamps from the back to front.

Another issue is the bolt length on the rear clamps is hardly enough. It is a struggle to have it in place,put 4 different pieces together, apply some clamping force with hand so the nut can be threaded, then tighten. 1/2" extra length would have saved so much effort and time. After using all my strength lying on the floor I got to hand thread through and then used the impact wrench to tighten the rest. Luckily the other 3 clamps have good bolt length.

Impression- The sound is improved but still not loud enough. Now I can hear exhaust from inside the car. The loudness has increased at higher rpms and remains same as stock when cruising.

May be I should get the valve controller next?

Overall the DIY is 5/10 on easy to hard scale

Yes, the valve controller is a must.
Appreciate 3
JCoR183.00
xps307.50
Resoelg261.00
      05-08-2024, 11:50 PM   #8
JCoR
Private
Rep
Drives: 24 M2, 21 Silverado

Garage List
2024 M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Power Rob View Post
Yes, the valve controller is a must.
I just received and installed my valve controller today and completely agree.
Appreciate 2
xps307.50
      05-09-2024, 01:56 AM   #9
Chi58
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: g82

Quote:
Originally Posted by xps View Post
Completed the install.

Another issue is the bolt length on the rear clamps is hardly enough. It is a struggle to have it in place,put 4 different [...]
You’re probably talking about that bolt, unfortunately they are all the same you’ll need a 13mm stubby to tighten it up. Adding a valve controller is definitely a noticeable change in volume .
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
xps307.50
mtenhoven125.50
      05-09-2024, 08:58 AM   #10
Resoelg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
24 G87  [10.00]
"May be I should get the valve controller next?"

Valve controller (AWRON) changed my mind about replacing exhaust or adding mid pipe...for now.

Painted coffin muffler while I was adding the controllers. VHT high temp primer and "flameproof"
Flat black paint. Made ass end look much better to my eye .
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 12:52 PM   #11
JCoR
Private
Rep
Drives: 24 M2, 21 Silverado

Garage List
2024 M2  [10.00]
Quote:

Valve controller (AWRON) changed my mind about replacing exhaust or adding mid pipe...for now.

Painted coffin muffler while I was adding the controllers. VHT high temp primer and "flameproof"
Do you have pics of the painted muffler?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 10:48 PM   #12
Resoelg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
24 G87  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCoR View Post
Do you have pics of the painted muffler?
Not the best pic but I think you can see the improvement. Much better in person. Easy mod. Worth it IMO.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
JCoR183.00
      05-10-2024, 11:22 AM   #13
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:

There is no need for Awron kit to change the sound; the SST will get you the same sound for half the price.

But either way, it won't be close to the sound would get from the midpipe.

You can start with the valve controller but in the vast majority of the cases, people end up upgrading exhaust components for the full sound upgrade.

Appreciate 1
Resoelg261.00
      05-10-2024, 12:49 PM   #14
Resoelg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
24 G87  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
There is no need for Awron kit to change the sound; the SST will get you the same sound for half the price.

But either way, it won't be close to the sound would get from the midpipe.

You can start with the valve controller but in the vast majority of the cases, people end up upgrading exhaust components for the full sound upgrade.
Needs and wants...very different at times.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 01:03 PM   #15
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Needs and wants...very different at times.
Got it

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2024, 09:20 AM   #16
mtenhoven
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Z4 sDrive30i & 2024 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi58 View Post
You’re probably talking about that bolt, unfortunately they are all the same you’ll need a 13mm stubby to tighten it up. Adding a valve controller is definitely a noticeable change in volume .
Agreed. 13mm stubby used here. Seems the best solution with the tool set I own despite having various extensions, swivels, etc. Probably need to confirm torque now that it's been through a few heat cycles.

I also added the SST controller. Can fully control sound now. Loud when I feel like it, milder when I choose. Fully open values at cold start sets off the alarm for my Z4 parked next to the M2 in the garage.
Appreciate 1
Chi5831.50
      05-16-2024, 01:50 PM   #17
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtenhoven View Post

I also added the SST controller. Can fully control sound now. Loud when I feel like it, milder when I choose. Fully open values at cold start sets off the alarm for my Z4 parked next to the M2 in the garage.
The SST is a must mod, in my opinion.

Appreciate 0