OUGrad05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 and 2022 Acura MDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUGrad05 View Post
That seems a weird take to me. The upcoming m2 is very compelling. Porsche has some top shelf stuff right now and the Supra and GR86 are excellent
Porsche has top shelf stuff at $$$$$ which unfortunately doesn't work for me. Not to mention I keep my cars for good which means maintenance will be a concern.

Supra, with a manual is not an upgrade to my F87 M2 Competition.

GR86 is fine, but worth it over say my E36 M3 manual? Not really.

I guess I should have been more clear with my post. I'm very content with what I have at the moment. And if I didn't have them, there's already plenty of used cars out there that are benchmarks IMHO.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Agreed. I don't even dislike EVs fundamentally, I even used to work for Tesla. My gripe is this hell bent narrative to ban the production of any single new ICE car despite there clearly being an enthusiast market for it. EVs are superior for the overwhelming majority of vehicles. But to not even allow a handful of M cars, AMG cars, 911s, supercars, etc. to continue seeing the light of day is what angers me.

In a decade it may very well just be some Japanese sports cars that exist to carry the ICE torch forward. Those of us are used to and love European cars will have no ICE options.
To be honest, I don't even really care that ICE is going away anymore. Even the new ones don't speak to me like the cars that were being released in the late 2000's.

I can literally think of 10 cars on top of my head that I'd rather have than a new G80/992/AMG ect ect... Not to mention manuals are almost non-existent nowadays, so you might as well take ICE away too while we're at it.

I'm all for electric DD's (I'd love an electric Tacoma when they release it) as long as I'm allowed to keep the cars I have. So far, they might not be releasing new fun ICE cars (to my eyes), but as long as I can put gas in the tank for fun drives every now and again, I'm fine.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUGrad05 View Post
That seems a weird take to me. The upcoming m2 is very compelling. Porsche has some top shelf stuff right now and the Supra and GR86 are excellent
Porsche has top shelf stuff at $$$$$ which unfortunately doesn't work for me. Not to mention I keep my cars for good which means maintenance will be a concern.

I guess I should have been more clear with my post. I'm very content with what I have at the moment. And if I didn't have them, there's already plenty of used cars out there that are benchmarks IMHO.
Makes a lot more sense in the context of your current garage!
      06-29-2022, 03:53 AM   #24
HiFi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3

Quote:

what else do you consider the benchmarks - having had similar cars to you im curious to know
      06-29-2022, 12:20 PM   #25
murderspice
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
what else do you consider the benchmarks - having had similar cars to you im curious to know
I agree with what they said. New cars too expensive/not interesting? I’d happily pick up an old 2014 c63 or even e60. Why spend the money for something forgettable when you can get an old benchmark car?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 02:11 PM   #26
T_U_D
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G05 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
I never feared EVs, I just thought they'd co-exist with gas cars for people who needed or wanted combustion power due to their lifestyle and/or hobby.

This isn't even about saving the environment, it's about filling their pockets with cash. EVs = new supply chains, new start ups, etc. to invest and profit from.
I will park this right here.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 03:47 PM   #27
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_U_D View Post
I will park this right here.
That's crazy. Even if it's well intended it means that everyone with an ICE car will get F'd and lose money on an asset that's suddenly worthless. Even if they want to sell and get an EV they wouldn't be able to. I'm sure they'll offer some monetary incentive, but they'll still get bent in the end. If they tried that here there would be pitchforks and torches.
Appreciate 1
T_U_D6679.50
      06-29-2022, 04:25 PM   #28
LivingInSalt
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
That's crazy. Even if it's well intended it means that everyone with an ICE car will get F'd and lose money on an asset that's suddenly worthless. Even if they want to sell and get an EV they wouldn't be able to. I'm sure they'll offer some monetary incentive, but they'll still get bent in the end. If they tried that here there would be pitchforks and torches.
It’s happening here. And I don’t even know where your “here” is. But it is happening here, there, and everywhere
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      06-29-2022, 04:36 PM   #29
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingInSalt View Post
It’s happening here. And I don’t even know where your “here” is. But it is happening here, there, and everywhere
USA. Do you have a source for them banning used ICE car sales here?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 05:04 PM   #30
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Quote:
USA. Do you have a source for them banning used ICE car sales here?
If they tried that here, no ones lawn would get cut. Just about every lawn service I see is some beat pickup truck with an exhaust leak and bald tires. They drive them into the ground and then buy another beater truck.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 05:29 PM   #31
P_Chris
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Garage List
2022 M240i  [0.00]
Don't forget commercial transport. Especially final mile deliveries. Those trucks are run to the ground.