home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

06-07-2023, 10:56 AM   #1
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep
Drives: Super73

Clicking/Ticking Sound After Installing Apex Wheels

I can't image the forged Apex VS-5RS wheels have anything to do with this, other than being much more open in design than the OEM wheels thus allowing sounds to be more noticeable, but I never noticed the clicking/ticking sound until after installing them. Maybe just a coincidence?

As stated, it sounds like a clicking or ticking sound, much like a small pebble stuck in the treads. It doesn't sound harsh like a grind, squeal or pop, and can only be heard with the windows down and traveling at a slow speed. It helps if there's a barrier beside the car, like a fence or next to a building at a drive-thru, and the sounds seem to be pretty equal on both sides. The slower you go the more spaced out the noise, however the noise will begin the instant the car moves.

I first noticed it in the middle of a 2,500 mile road trip in the hotel parking lot. This was just a few days after installing the new wheels and tires. I assumed it was some pebbles in the treads and ignored it. After getting home I decided to rotate the tires in a X-pattern (square 265 setup) and remove any pebbles, which were only a few and very small. I inspected the calipers, rotors and pads and found no pebbles hiding. I also turned the tires on the car while off the ground and they never made a sound.

I put the car back on the ground and went for a slow drive around the neighborhood and all was completely quiet. I was amazed that the sound must have come from a small pebble in the treads, but was glad the sound was gone.

A couple days later the sound was back.

Now I'm searching Google and YouTube and turns out I find numerous results with the same sounds, but the list of supposed fixes are numerous, with some in comments saying the sound returned for them after the "fix". In one case I read of someone in the comments spending over $5,000 replacing suspension parts to no avail.

Something interesting to point out is the paved alley going to my driveway behind the house is shaped in a mild 'V' pattern, so the water from rain and sprinklers runs down the center to a storm drain. I've noticed when slowly driving down the alley with this 'V' pattern the sound stops, but begins again as soon as I turn onto my flat driveway, and all the way into my garage. Does this mean there's a slight load difference on the suspension while driving on 'V' shaped pavement?

I'm not too concerned about it if it's not an easy fix as I've read it's simply a nuisance w/o any harm. However, if someone has found a guaranteed cure that's somewhat simple, I'd love to read the details.

Below are a couple videos of what I'm talking about...

Appreciate 1
Sonic RR129.00
      06-08-2023, 11:05 AM   #2
marcsg42
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i

What tires are you running I thought most z rated tires are directional which means the can’t be flipped to the other side with out remounting the tires just something you should check , u never know
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2023, 12:12 PM   #3
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcsg42 View Post
What tires are you running I thought most z rated tires are directional which means the can’t be flipped to the other side with out remounting the tires just something you should check , u never know
Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 Plus: 265/35-19ZR
They're asymmetrical, but not directional.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2023, 05:39 PM   #4
H00CH90
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240XI

I cant see the videos on the computer Im on at the moment, however, I experienced something very similar to what you are describing on a Mustang I had. Ultimately, I found a small washer over one of the wheel studs, removed it and the noise was gone forever. I'm sure this is a long shot but I'd check the mounting surface over on the wheels and hub just in case. It was the smallest thing but made an obnoxious clicking noise as I drove.
Appreciate 1
XC3LLR82062.50
      06-08-2023, 06:05 PM   #5
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by H00CH90 View Post
I cant see the videos on the computer Im on at the moment, however, I experienced something very similar to what you are describing on a Mustang I had. Ultimately, I found a small washer over one of the wheel studs, removed it and the noise was gone forever. I'm sure this is a long shot but I'd check the mounting surface over on the wheels and hub just in case. It was the smallest thing but made an obnoxious clicking noise as I drove.
The second video the guy showed a "fix" from BMW that included a sealant to apply between the wheel bearing assembly and the hub (I think this is correct, I didn't re-watch the video). I guess this would mean it's common enough for BMW to address it to some degree. I saw a bunch of people in the comments thanking him for the info, but what I really wanted to read was those people having success after many miles. Before I take the time to try it, I wanted confirmation it was indeed the fix.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2023, 08:30 AM   #6
rons e92
60-130 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

Is this the sound you're hearing?

https://youtu.be/C3GNROCDE14

I have VS5RS wheels too. I'm bringing the car to the dealer Monday unless I can fix this myself over the weekend.
Appreciate 1
XC3LLR82062.50
      06-10-2023, 09:31 AM   #7
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rons e92 View Post
Is this the sound you're hearing?

https://youtu.be/C3GNROCDE14

I have VS5RS wheels too. I'm bringing the car to the dealer Monday unless I can fix this myself over the weekend.
That’s exactly it. Let me know what you find out.

I’d be tempted to start thinking it’s the wheels based on me noticing it after I installed them, and now your video with the same wheels. However, based on the YouTube videos I posted, as well as the many Google results, I’m going to keep believing for now that the VS-5RS wheels are simply making it easier to hear the noise being transmitted.
Appreciate 1
rons e921438.00
      06-10-2023, 09:39 AM   #8
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

rons e92 if you get a chance see if you can find a road with a slight grade perpendicular to your direction of travel, sort of like the V shaped alley going to my driveway. It seems a mild lateral load on the suspension makes it go away.
Appreciate 1
rons e921438.00
      06-10-2023, 11:51 AM   #9
rons e92
60-130 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC3LLR8 View Post
rons e92 if you get a chance see if you can find a road with a slight grade perpendicular to your direction of travel, sort of like the V shaped alley going to my driveway. It seems a mild lateral load on the suspension makes it go away.
I'll see what I can find. I'm going to lift the car up, take the wheel off again and see if tightening some of these nuts has any effect. I might even try the anti seize trick on that bold for the brake line bracket.

I'll keep you informed. I know how ridiculously annoying that sound is.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2023, 06:36 PM   #10
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I'll see what I can find. I'm going to lift the car up, take the wheel off again and see if tightening some of these nuts has any effect. I might even try the anti seize trick on that bold for the brake line bracket.

I'll keep you informed. I know how ridiculously annoying that sound is.
Try turning your wheels while it’s off the ground. I bet you won’t hear it; seems to require a loaded suspension.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2023, 06:43 PM   #11
rons e92
60-130 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Try turning your wheels while it’s off the ground. I bet you won’t hear it; seems to require a loaded suspension.
Mine sounds like it's coming from the rear. I had my girlfriend creep the car forward really slowly and I'm 99% sure it's the rear wheel on my car.
Appreciate 1
XC3LLR82062.50
      06-10-2023, 06:46 PM   #12
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Mine sounds like it's coming from the rear. I had my girlfriend creep the car forward really slowly and I'm 99% sure it's the rear wheel on my car.
I wouldn’t know, I don’t let my wife drive it.
Appreciate 1
rons e921438.00
      06-12-2023, 10:42 AM   #13
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

rons e92 Have you seen this thread...

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1862281
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2023, 01:02 PM   #14
rons e92
60-130 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:

No I didn't see that one. Friction rings huh? Interesting. I'm at my office right now so I don't really have time to dig in, but I'm dropping my car off at BMW when I leave here and I'll read through that thread tonight. Thank you.
Appreciate 1
XC3LLR82062.50
      06-12-2023, 06:19 PM   #15
rons e92
60-130 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I just dropped the car off. The service advisor didn't really have any idea what could be causing the sound so he couldn't give me a prognosis or even a timeline on when I'll get the car back.

He did notice I'm a "frequent flyer" there, so he got me a 5 series thank god. That 2 series gran coupe is such a piece of shit I asked that they don't give me those anymore.

I'll report back when I find out what's going on.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2023, 07:28 PM   #16
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I just dropped the car off. The service advisor didn't really have any idea what could be causing the sound so he couldn't give me a prognosis or even a timeline on when I'll get the car back.

He did notice I'm a "frequent flyer" there, so he got me a 5 series thank god. That 2 series gran coupe is such a piece of shit I asked that they don't give me those anymore.

I'll report back when I find out what's going on.
Looking forward to what they find.

I almost went by my dealership today just on the chance they’ve addressed this before, but saw your post about dropping yours off, so figured I’d wait a few days.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2023, 02:03 PM   #17
rons e92
60-130 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Looking forward to what they find.

I almost went by my dealership today just on the chance they’ve addressed this before, but saw your post about dropping yours off, so figured I’d wait a few days.
Just got the video from the dealership.

The tech said they were able to replicate the issue, it was coming from the rear wheels. He said he took off my wheels, lubricared the hubs, and reassembled everything. They drive it again and the noise was gone.

The tech said they'd like me to come by to drive it just to make sure it's good, but seems like it might have just been a simple fix.

I'll post another update when I get the service documents and see what they said.
Appreciate 1
XC3LLR82062.50
      06-14-2023, 03:51 PM   #18
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Just got the video from the dealership.

The tech said they were able to replicate the issue, it was coming from the rear wheels. He said he took off my wheels, lubricared the hubs, and reassembled everything. They drive it again and the noise was gone.

The tech said they'd like me to come by to drive it just to make sure it's good, but seems like it might have just been a simple fix.

I'll post another update when I get the service documents and see what they said.
Good to hear - thanks for the update.

I stopped by the service center today, as I've never been in there before. They all heard me rolling in!

Spent a few minutes talking to the BMW master tech and he's familiar with the issue, but hasn't yet experienced it with the G42. He was also familiar with the 'spread-on gasket' fix between the wheel bearing and hub, and also the friction plate fix, but said he'd just have to get the car up on the rack to determine exactly what it needed - makes sense.

I wonder if "lubricating the hubs" means they put some anti-seize between the back-face of the wheels and hubs? I actually considered that today while driving home. If you wouldn't mind, could you confirm this with them?

Also of note, I torqued my lugs to 110 ft/lbs (instead of 105) and drove to lunch. It seemed to cut the sound level of the 'ticking' in half.

The tech said I could buy the friction plates (very thin spacers) myself and install them, so there's another option.
Appreciate 1
rons e921438.00
      06-14-2023, 03:53 PM   #19
rons e92
60-130 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good to hear - thanks for the update.

I stopped by the service center today, as I've never been in there before. They all heard me rolling in!

Spent a few minutes talking to the BMW master tech and he's familiar with the issue, but hasn't yet experienced it with the G42. He was also familiar with the 'spread-on gasket' fix between the wheel bearing and hub, and also the friction plate fix, but said he'd just have to get the car up on the rack to determine exactly what it needed - makes sense.

I wonder if "lubricating the hubs" means they put some anti-seize between the back-face of the wheels and hubs? I actually considered that today while driving home. If you wouldn't mind, could you confirm this with them?

Also of note, I torqued my lugs to 110 ft/lbs (instead of 105) and drove to lunch. It seemed to cut the sound level of the 'ticking' in half.

The tech said I could buy the friction plates (very thin spacers) myself and install them, so there's another option.
Interesting. When I pick the car up I'll get to get more info. The service document usually has more info as well. I'll be sure to share.

If you want I can upload the video the tech sent me to YouTube and post it here for you to check out.
Appreciate 1
XC3LLR82062.50
      06-14-2023, 04:09 PM   #20
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Interesting. When I pick the car up I'll get to get more info. The service document usually has more info as well. I'll be sure to share.

If you want I can upload the video the tech sent me to YouTube and post it here for you to check out.
The video would be great - I suspect others will experience this as well at some point.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2023, 04:25 PM   #21
rons e92
60-130 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The video would be great - I suspect others will experience this as well at some point.
So this is strange. I just got a call from service and I'm going to pick up the car. They said that it was an issue with the wheels. Apparently there's a pocket on the back face of the wheel that causes a gap and slows debris to get in and that's what was making the sound.

Ironic that you said tightening your wheels made the issue less prevalent. That goes right in line.

I might reach out to ApexRaceParts to see if there could have been a manufacturing issue with the back face where they're not perfectly decked or something.

They tried to act like they're doing me a favor covering it under warranty. Not sure how I feel about that.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2023, 04:29 PM   #22
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
So this is strange. I just got a call from service and I'm going to pick up the car. They said that it was an issue with the wheels. Apparently there's a pocket on the back face of the wheel that causes a gap and slows debris to get in and that's what was making the sound.

Ironic that you said tightening your wheels made the issue less prevalent. That goes right in line.

I might reach out to ApexRaceParts to see if there could have been a manufacturing issue with the back face where they're not perfectly decked or something.

They tried to act like they're doing me a favor covering it under warranty. Not sure how I feel about that.
Not sure I'm buying it. I checked all those back-of-wheel pockets when I returned from Arizona, thinking the same thing about debris, and they were all clean. This same noise is being heard on other BMW's with OEM wheels, so there's that.
Appreciate 0