BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

09-08-2023, 01:36 PM   #1
veejayy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Honda s2000

Got one

Hi,
Pulled the trigger and traded in Mini JCW for ‘23 Thundernight M240x.
It has active cruise control as option.
My other car is Acura Integra CVT (had stick for a while but hip issues killed it).

What I considered and then my opinion about purchase 200 miles in.

Considerations: (no sticks as I said above because of hip issues)
1) Mustang GT premium. Could not find one fully optioned out with Recaros and Magneride. I am an impulsive buyer and don’t want to wait. Also not all season but I get you could do it with A/S tires but not ideal. Did not need Mach 1.
2) Briefly M2 but for my needs decided did not need the hardcore 2 series. Similar to why I did not “want” Mach.
3) M340i- did not need 4 doors. Sweet though.
4) Not a Mercedes guy so none of the performance line although they are sweet.
5) Lastly TLX Type S- as a long time Honda modification guy going way back I really was looking forward to the test drive. Sales guy flipped me keys and said “have fun”. Just not a pleasant experience. Heavy (even for M240 standards) and sloppy handling and lousy sound (yes I was in Sport +). How some reviewers raved about this car is beyond me and I , again for emphasis, am a Honda guy.

200 miles in:
1) So glad I made the purchase. Miss the MINI but a very different car even with its weight. Love the looks.
2) I am an old guy but love iD8 and gradually figuring it out.
3) Yes following the break in rules and not the “drive it like you stole it” thing. Someone is going to buy this car some day and I want to respect both them and the engineers who bothered to write the break in paragraph in the manual.
4) The sound- well even below 4000 rpm in comfort and sport I already like it. When this thing is broken it and I add the BMW MPE this is just going to be great but as I said even now I like it.
5) Handling- you feel the weight as you well know but it cuts both ways. My autocrossing days and track days are done. I will trade some of the handling compromises for safety and the feeling of being in a tank even though from the outside it is small looking. I like the heft of the steering wheel and it does not feel like a video game wheel to me as some members have said and even a few reviewers. It is not the hydraulic steering feel of the late 80s or early 90s 3 series that I drove but what is today outside of a few cars.
6) Comfort- not that I want a Camry but coming from the JCW this is like my Uncles’ Cadillac back in the day. Not floaty but to me it is fine. I know the suspension is tuned firm enough for fun but seems to be a good compromise. When you need the sharpness it is there.
7) Lastly- very happy with the BMW experience so far from sales, to parts to service.

(BTW- love the JCW line of MINI- yeah it can be harsh in Sport but even there it is tolerable- would consider again as a third car)

This was a great forum to learn about the car before purchasing and to read the good and the bad and the in between.
Many thanks members!
Appreciate 6
VegasG42381.00
pw490.50
Nate48150.00
jpf3409.00
      09-08-2023, 01:48 PM   #2
Bandit009
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by veejayy View Post
Hi,
Pulled the trigger and traded in Mini JCW for ‘23 Thundernight M240x.
It has active cruise control as option.
My other car is Acura Integra CVT (had stick for a while but hip issues killed it).

What I considered and then my opinion about purchase 200 miles in.

Considerations: (no sticks as I said above because of hip issues)
1) Mustang GT premium. Could not find one fully optioned out with Recaros and Magneride. I am an impulsive buyer and don’t want to wait. Also not all season but I get you could do it with A/S tires but not ideal. Did not need Mach 1.
2) Briefly M2 but for my needs decided did not need the hardcore 2 series. Similar to why I did not “want” Mach.
3) M340i- did not need 4 doors. Sweet though.
4) Not a Mercedes guy so none of the performance line although they are sweet.
5) Lastly TLX Type S- as a long time Honda modification guy going way back I really was looking forward to the test drive. Sales guy flipped me keys and said “have fun”. Just not a pleasant experience. Heavy (even for M240 standards) and sloppy handling and lousy sound (yes I was in Sport +). How some reviewers raved about this car is beyond me and I , again for emphasis, am a Honda guy.

200 miles in:
1) So glad I made the purchase. Miss the MINI but a very different car even with its weight. Love the looks.
2) I am an old guy but love iD8 and gradually figuring it out.
3) Yes following the break in rules and not the “drive it like you stole it” thing. Someone is going to buy this car some day and I want to respect both them and the engineers who bothered to [...]
Enjoy the car! She’s a different animal after breakin!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 02:02 PM   #3
AWcoupe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW 240i xDrive

Garage List
2023 BMW M240  [0.00]
2015 BMW 235xi  [0.00]
Congrats! You’ll have no regrets going forward. Coming from a 2015 M235, I’m still getting used to the effortless power the B58 generates. It’s very easy to go very fast….fast! I just turned 6k miles and loving this car.
2009 BMW 328xi Alpine White-Traded
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 02:34 PM   #4
VegasG42
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M240i xDrive

Almost the same lineup of cars I'm considering.

Mustang GT - Too generic . A dime a dozen.

M2 - Beautiful car. Actually would prefer the xDrive for launches that the M2 doesn't have . M2 would end up being near $65k to $70k.

M340i - Don't need 4 doors.

Camaros , Challenger , Chargers - No thanks.

Lexus/ Japanese cars - nothing in the price range with adequate power and performance
Appreciate 1
jpf3409.00
      09-08-2023, 11:08 PM   #5
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW M240i

Congrats buddy, best bang for your buck right now.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2023, 07:35 AM   #6
BobHen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2022 M240i

I've kind of been driving the car like I stole it from day one – resistance was and has been futile. But being retired, I don't put a lot of mileage on cars, so there's that.

When you get to the point when you are ready to push the car, you'll find out just how great the M240 really is. The combination of BMW's B58, AWD and the Z8 trans is just superb. It's kind of a monster.

Good choice.

Bob
Appreciate 0