09-15-2023, 02:28 PM   #23
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240x, 2007 Honda VFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmaguire View Post
I reached out to 8 or 9 dealerships and got quotes for a new build. For each one they offered MSRP, but some tacked on BS options that are not needed and some had different admin fees, freight/PDI fees, green tire (nitrogen fill), winter mats, etc etc.

Since I had 8 different quotes all with the same MSRP but varying additional fees, I made my own with the lowest costs for all charges. I then called the dealer that had the closest allocation (week 35) and provided my expectations along with my credit card to make it a firm offer.

The sales rep took it to her manager, and they approved the sale, and added on a 3% discount off MSRP - roughly $3500 CAD of reductions.
Since you are "ordering" a new car built to YOUR option choices, all ya gotta do is say, no dealer add ons and get it on the agreement. If they try to do add ons when ordering it then it's time to move on and tell em no deal. And yes, some will have varying admin fees ya gotta compare. Looks like you did your homework and did it right...kudos, a wise shopper.
Sometimes you might also have to spec "No port installed accessories" other than what you ordered. I had that happen with a previous new order of a different make (trunk and floor mats). Dealer told me when it arrived nothing they could do and could not remove em. After getting nowhere, i went out to the car, removed em, threw em on the floor of the salesman's office and said, deduct that cost or I'm walking, I'm not paying for what is not in/on the car.
Appreciate 2
      09-15-2023, 04:22 PM   #24
nickmaguire
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by danallxt View Post
Since you are "ordering" a new car built to YOUR option choices, all ya gotta do is say, no dealer add ons and get it on the agreement. If they try to do add ons when ordering it then it's time to move on and tell em no deal. And yes, some will have varying admin fees ya gotta compare. Looks like you did your homework and did it right...kudos, a wise shopper.
Sometimes you might also have to spec "No port installed accessories" other than what you ordered. I had that happen with a previous new order of a different make (trunk and floor mats). Dealer told me when it arrived nothing they could do and could not remove em. After getting nowhere, i went out to the car, removed em, threw em on the floor of the salesman's office and said, deduct that cost or I'm walking, I'm not paying for what is not in/on the car.
Absolutely right, there were zero extra add ons to my factory build and no one should pay those. Any good dealer will remove them to get the sale.

Another tip for people buying is to negotiate the dealer fee costs and removal of add ons before asking for further discount off the MSRP so they don’t try to bundle them together. I aimed for 4% off MSRP and settled for 3%.

Everything is negotiable on the purchase, if you’re not happy with the charges you can push them to remove or add a cash discount.
Appreciate 1
VegasG42381.00
      09-22-2023, 10:12 PM   #25
VegasG42
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M240i xDrive

So, I ended up contacting both BMW dealerships here in Vegas.

The first dealership looked at their available allocations, and they only had one RWD allocation available.

I asked if they anticipate having an xDrive allocation become available soon. They said maybe they would have one in about a month .

The second dealership - same thing - one RWD allocation only. But they didn't tell me about anything available in the near future.

So let's say I ask the first dealer to proceed , and no allocation for a couple months , means I just wasted 2 months.

So what are my options here ? Do I have to start calling out of state dealerships ?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 12:52 AM   #26
Brian1988
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW, G42

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasG42 View Post
So, I ended up contacting both BMW dealerships here in Vegas.

The first dealership looked at their available allocations, and they only had one RWD allocation available.

I asked if they anticipate having an xDrive allocation become available soon. They said maybe they would have one in about a month .

The second dealership - same thing - one RWD allocation only. But they didn't tell me about anything available in the near future.

So let's say I ask the first dealer to proceed , and no allocation for a couple months , means I just wasted 2 months.

So what are my options here ? Do I have to start calling out of state dealerships ?
You could ask the dealer if they can trade allocations with another dealership.

My local dealership had a rwd m240i allocation available and they swapped it with a different dealership for an x drive allocation for me (they were able to trade allocations within a day). That being said, I do have a relationship with the dealership so they might have been more willing to do stuff for me. They also offered me an m2 allocation they had as well while trying to get the x drive one.
Appreciate 1
VegasG42381.00
      09-23-2023, 09:07 AM   #27
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW M240i

Here's how my order played out:

1. Built car online
2. Visited local dealer, and they wanted $5K over MSRP
3. Called a dealer 1.25 hours away who agreed to MSRP (it's the only way they sell BMWs)
4. Made credit card deposit over phone
5. Took delivery 5 months later
Appreciate 1
VegasG42381.00
      09-23-2023, 09:48 AM   #28
donnyfontaine
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche macan

Do people just hate the options of the cars on the lots. Feels like such a hassle to call around and order and hope and wait 5 months when you could have a car in 2 days
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 10:41 AM   #29
jj487
Rep
Drives: 2021 M240

Can always try a broker. Just got an allocation for a week 40 build with 7% off MSRP.
Appreciate 1
VegasG42381.00
      09-23-2023, 11:17 AM   #30
Utheman
Rep
Drives: None (yet)

My dealer was able to swap xDrive allocation to RWD for me, so I’m sure there are options to do it the other way around, especially since xDrive is the preferred choice for most people on this car. I am not sure if they traded allocations with another dealership or what exactly happened, but the whole process only took them a couple of hours. I’d just ask - mine was for week 42 build.

And make sure to ask for discounts, they are certainly out there, even for custom orders.
Appreciate 1
VegasG42381.00
      09-23-2023, 11:27 AM   #31
VegasG42
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian1988 View Post
You could ask the dealer if they can trade allocations with another dealership.

My local dealership had a rwd m240i allocation available and they swapped it with a different dealership for an x drive allocation for me (they were able to trade allocations within a day). That being said, I do have a relationship with the dealership so they might have been more willing to do stuff for me. They also offered me an m2 allocation they had as well while trying to get the x drive one.
I'm surprised they didn't mention it. The second dealer did mention possibly being able to find a car from another dealership , but that would be the same thing as me just going online and finding one already built to their spec. I could just do that myself.

I will probably contact the dealership and ask them about the possibility of them swapping an allocation for me
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 11:31 AM   #32
VegasG42
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPR View Post
Here's how my order played out:

1. Built car online
2. Visited local dealer, and they wanted $5K over MSRP
3. Called a dealer 1.25 hours away who agreed to MSRP (it's the only way they sell BMWs)
4. Made credit card deposit over phone
5. Took delivery 5 months later
That's how i was hoping mine would go .

But I started reading on here about people waiting and waiting because their local dealership didn't get an allocation for a month or longer.

I wish I could just order a vehicle from BWW, and when it's built , they ship it to whatever dealership i select
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 11:34 AM   #33
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW M240i

Quote:
That's how i was hoping mine would go .

But I started reading on here about people waiting and waiting because their local dealership didn't get an allocation for a month or longer.

I wish I could just order a vehicle from BWW, and when it's built , they ship it to whatever dealership i select
You likely can make it happen, just need to call around and possibly drive a distance on delivery day. I plan to use my local dealer for service
Appreciate 1
VegasG42381.00
      09-23-2023, 11:38 AM   #34
VegasG42
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnyfontaine View Post
Do people just hate the options of the cars on the lots. Feels like such a hassle to call around and order and hope and wait 5 months when you could have a car in 2 days
Well I mean the dealership adds almost every possible option because why ? So they make the most per sale?

I'm not sure I would be happy about paying $59k for a xDrive 240 , when the car I want would be $52k.

In a perfect world , I would drive over to my nearest Porsche dealership and pay cash for a 911 GT-3
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 11:40 AM   #35
VegasG42
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj487 View Post
Can always try a broker. Just got an allocation for a week 40 build with 7% off MSRP.
I'm going to look into that .

Any tips on where to start researching / looking for a specific broker ?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 11:42 AM   #36
VegasG42
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPR View Post
You likely can make it happen, just need to call around and possibly drive a distance on delivery day. I plan to use my local dealer for service
Yep. That's going to be my plan c. Start contacting California / Arizona / Utah dealerships .

I don't mind driving a few hours , if that's what I need to do
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 11:48 AM   #37
VegasG42
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utheman View Post
My dealer was able to swap xDrive allocation to RWD for me, so I’m sure there are options to do it the other way around, especially since xDrive is the preferred choice for most people on this car. I am not sure if they traded allocations with another dealership or what exactly happened, but the whole process only took them a couple of hours. I’d just ask - mine was for week 42 build.

And make sure to ask for discounts, they are certainly out there, even for custom orders.
I'm going to ask both my dealerships about an allocation swap. The first dealership told me in our region, they mostly get the RWD allocations.

But there are far more xDrive variants of the G42 , than the standard RWD version . So not sure why they would even bother with the RWD
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 08:08 PM   #38
kwikit356
Private
Rep
Drives: 23 M240ix 16 Porsche Spyder

Quote:
I'm going to look into that .

Any tips on where to start researching / looking for a specific broker ?
I know a terrific and honest broker who has been able to obtain hard-to- find Porsches nationwide. If he could get decent discounts off MSRP it would be worth his fee. Not sure he does BMWs, but I will check with him and let you know. He gets allocations as well as dealers who have already allocated builds that can be optioned as the buyer wants.
Appreciate 1
VegasG42381.00
      09-24-2023, 01:58 PM   #39
VegasG42
Captain
Rep

I had asked the sales manager at one of my local dealerships if they could find another dealership to swap their RWD allocation , for their xDrive allocation .

I got a call from the sales department yesterday and they told me they were able to locate one.

So I'm heading down tomorrow to see what I need to do.

The dealership only sells at MSRP (except for the M2) , and they have no other addendums.

Hopefully they don't try and pull any funny business .

Thank you so much for the help , everyone !
Appreciate 0