BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

09-29-2023, 05:05 AM   #45
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayritchie View Post
I have 3 x PS4S* and 1 x PS4S as I got a puncture day 3 of ownership and no * tyres were available!

The non matching sidewall really gets to me 😂
Let’s hope the non matching compound doesn’t have an effect. (Refer to my linked thread on the subject)
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2023, 02:08 PM   #46
nype
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i / BMW X5 35d

I've read varying opinions ranging from "must be * rated" to "it's a money making scheme".

Apparently the xDrive system has a very low tolerance for varying specs amongst a staggered set of tires. A lead tech at my local BMW dealership said that I would risk destroying the transfer case if I installed same size all season tires (not * rated of course). Sounded harsh...

But how does that work if, for example, you have a 25% worn set of * tires and one needs to be replaced? Does BMW suggest replacing all four?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2023, 03:41 PM   #47
Pentland
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nype View Post
I've read varying opinions ranging from "must be * rated" to "it's a money making scheme".

Apparently the xDrive system has a very low tolerance for varying specs amongst a staggered set of tires. A lead tech at my local BMW dealership said that I would risk destroying the transfer case if I installed same size all season tires (not * rated of course). Sounded harsh...

But how does that work if, for example, you have a 25% worn set of * tires and one needs to be replaced? Does BMW suggest replacing all four?
There is a tolerance between tyre diameter on the same axel of (and don’t quote me) something like 2mm or 2% or something.

I replaced a punctured tyre with a new one just to get home on my 4 series once and the pull to the old side (worn tyre side) was pronounced. I’d imagine running like that for any length of time would cause damage or wear somewhere.

I think same tyres same size same axel is critical, front to rear not so much but why would you mix and match.
Appreciate 1
nype139.50
      09-29-2023, 03:50 PM   #48
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi - 2022 992 C2S Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by nype View Post

Running 4 same size tires on all wheels is a non-issue. Hence, why you can both run a staggered and non-staggered set-up. If you run staggered you need to stay within 2% variation in circumference (read up in manual). That becomes a potential issues, if you go aftermarket and choose a different size set-up than recommended or in the rare case that you replace your rears while your fronts are almost done.
      09-29-2023, 04:24 PM   #49
Pentland
Colonel
Rep

Here you go….

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=37

Tyre tread depth difference on the same axel is the important bit so one puncture = max 2 new tyres not 4!
Appreciate 1
nype139.50