BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

09-04-2023, 07:33 AM   #23
WilcoJunoHotel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 M240i RWD

These smaller 2 door coupes just don't have enough roof for a large sunroof. To go with a larger sunroof they almost all open outside the roof. My G70 Genesis (4 door) has a panoramic sunroof that opens fully but it slides outside of the car and actually hangs over the rear glass a bit. There have been a few panoramic sunroofs to have literally exploded (all brands) all of the sudden. I have not heard of one that slides back under the roof to have exploded.

FWIW, I have had sunroofs in almost every car, suv and truck that I have owned over the past 30 years and I can count on 1 hand the times I have actually opened the sunroof up fully and driven with it that way for any distance/time. I mostly use it for sunlight in the winter months (closed) and to crack it open in the back for ventilation. It is either too hot, too cold or whatever to open it up fully. I did order my 24 with one but only because I keep the shade open almost all the time in the winter for the sun.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 09:02 PM   #24
jpcoop
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayritchie View Post
Same roof, would be weird if it wasn’t identical.

For those asking how much it opens, remember the automatic “open” setting isn’t fully open. It’s a default open position that doesn’t compromise on wind noise. Once open, you can hold the button and it’ll open further. A lot of bimmers work the same way.
Uh no that is very wrong. That's as open as it goes. The automatic open goes straight to 100%.

The G42 has a bigger sunroof than the F22 did, but the sloping roofline limits how much it can open. So you get more glass than before, but it still opens about the same amount as the F22. Hence the little bit of glass left visible.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 06:59 PM   #25
Bandit009
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoop View Post
Uh no that is very wrong. That's as open as it goes. The automatic open goes straight to 100%.

The G42 has a bigger sunroof than the F22 did, but the sloping roofline limits how much it can open. So you get more glass than before, but it still opens about the same amount as the F22. Hence the little bit of glass left visible.
My 2004 330i retracts all the way. It’s really nice when fully open. After I exit the 330 and get in the 240 and open the sunroof I feel slightly annoyed. 😂
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 08:50 PM   #26
jpcoop
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit009 View Post
My 2004 330i retracts all the way. It’s really nice when fully open. After I exit the 330 and get in the 240 and open the sunroof I feel slightly annoyed. 😂
Sure, but a 3 series doesn’t have as much slope to the roof. Sedan vs coupe. As I mentioned the old F22 2 series retracted all the way too, but the whole sunroof was smaller. So this is overall an improvement.
Appreciate 0