home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

04-26-2023, 12:29 PM   #1
Ninjageezer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M240I G42

M240i service intervals ?

ok just ordered a new M240i ,the sales guy was very vague to say the least ,what are the recommended service intervals inc brake servicing .
trying work out if to buy the service pack ,i do low miles but a lot of short journeys about 6k a year.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2023, 12:49 PM   #2
ZM240i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjageezer View Post
ok just ordered a new M240i ,the sales guy was very vague to say the least ,what are the recommended service intervals inc brake servicing .
trying work out if to buy the service pack ,i do low miles but a lot of short journeys about 6k a year.
It will depend:

Quote:
MAINTENANCE INTERVALS

Maintenance intervals on motor vehicles were conventionally based solely on
a fixed time period or a specified amount of accumulated driving mileage.
However, operational and driving conditions have a major influence on
your vehicle’s routine maintenance requirements; the distance traveled is
only one of these significant factors. A vehicle used for short trips in the
city with numerous cold starts, prolonged periods of idling, stop-and-go
driving, and high engine speeds during acceleration may require more
frequent maintenance intervals than a vehicle that is driven long distances at
moderate engine speeds.
Your BMW vehicle uses sensors and algorithms together with the elapsed
time and the driving distance/profile to monitor and evaluate your vehicle’s
maintenance service needs. This information is then used to adapt
dynamically the parameters used to forecast the applicable maintenance
service task intervals.

THE BMW MAINTENANCE SYSTEM

All BMW vehicles are equipped with an integrated BMW Maintenance
System. This maintenance “reminder” system helps ensure that the vehicle
inspections and maintenance service tasks are performed at the forecasted
intervals that apply to your vehicle
The BMW Maintenance System display provides the vehicle operator access
to the current status information for the following maintenance service tasks:
  • Engine oil (date and miles)
  • Vehicle check (date and miles)
  • Front brake pads (miles)
  • Rear brake pads (miles)
  • Brake fluid (date)
  • 1200 Mile running-in service (date and miles) (Applicable to BMW M vehicles only)
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2023, 12:54 PM   #3
Ninjageezer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M240I G42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM240i View Post
It will depend:
ok can you give me the brake service shedule please
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2023, 12:54 PM   #4
AWcoupe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW 240i xDrive

Garage List
2023 BMW M240  [0.00]
2015 BMW 235xi  [0.00]
I traded my 2015 M235 with 72k miles on the original brakes and still hadn’t tripped the wear sensors. Rear pads were gettin real close though. Strictly street driving with mostly highway mileage. Just an example.
2009 BMW 328xi Alpine White-Traded
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2023, 01:15 PM   #5
ZM240i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
ok can you give me the brake service shedule please
The maintenance booklet doesn't have your typical schedule and table of maintenance like your typical car, say a Toyota Camry. It really relies on the onboard computer.

Quote:
NOTE: For certain vehicles, the status of the front and rear brake pads will only be observable in the maintenance system’s display when there are approximately 2,000 miles or less remaining before a brake service will be required to be performed.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2023, 03:04 PM   #6
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Quote:
If it’s a 5 year, 100K Km (they will sell it as 60k miles but it is actually 100K Km) pack it will almost certainly be worth it. (£802?)

I will probably do less miles than you but in 5 years you will get minor and major service, vehicle check and a brake fluid change.

Service is time or mileage based whichever comes first. Yours will end up time based.

Oil - every 2 years ( alternate minor /major service)
Brake fluid first one is 3 years then every 2.
Vehicle check every 4 years.

An oil change with micro filter on its own is £346, brake fluid service £71, oil service with micro filter and spark plugs £636. You’ll also have fluid disposal charges and standard scope costs on of that. God knows what the price will be a few years down the line so also safeguards against price rises.

Note, brake pads are not included as a service item. They are consumables.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2023, 02:22 AM   #7
dy444
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i xDrive

Imo the service pack (as it is currently*) is a no-brainer. For a start it locks in the price of routine servicing for 5 years.

* they change it from time to time. It's last incarnation wasn't worth having in my view, the one before was and it is again now.
G42 M240i xDrive. Brooklyn Grey, 19" Bicolour Double-spoke style 893 M alloy wheels with performance tyres, Technology Plus Pack, M Adaptive Suspension, Harman/Kardon Surround Sound Audio System, Heated Steering Wheel, Aluminium Rhombicle Interior Trim
Appreciate 1
Nate48150.00
      04-27-2023, 08:52 AM   #8
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Short trips should have you changing the oil/filter more often.

With my 230i I changed the oil early: At ~600 miles, ~1300 miles, and ~5500 miles. This last change was last October just before winter. The car doesn't get driven in bad weather or road conditions but I wanted fresh oil in the engine. Would be changing it now at the start of the driving season but I traded it in (with 7026 miles) for a M2 on April 14.

(The M2 is booked to get an oil/filter service (not part of the free scheduled service that came with the new car) Monday and it should have around 600 miles. At 600 miles is when the 2nd phase of break in begins. I'll have the car in at 1200 miles (end of break in) for its break in service (which is part of the scheduled services and thus free).

For brake servicing that is pads/rotors R&R that depends upon usage and the vehicle. Have managed up to 100+K miles from brakes (Porsche Turbo) to an estimated less than 30K miles with my Hellcat.

The difference was not the power (Turbo: 420hp; Hellcat: 707hp) but the difference in weight. Turbo: 3500lbs; Hellcat: 4600lbs. And the Turbo was a manual which provided more engine braking -- but I didn't downshift to get more braking (and the clutch was still quite good at 161K miles) -- while the Hellcat was equipped with an automatic and there was not much engine braking to be had.

However, based on my experience over the years even if BMW doesn't call for brake fluid services I'd recommend you have this done every 2 years. While brake fluid makers I think call for this Porsche no less called for it as well. I adhered to the 2 year fluid service schedule but I felt it a bit overkill. However, I let it go once and while the brakes were not manifesting any issues the clutch (and transmission) were. This is because the clutch hydraulic system shared fluid with the brake hydraulic system and the clutch hydraulic system proved to be quite sensitive to the past its change by date brake fluid. After the past due brake fluid service done (both the brake system and clutch systems were flushed/bled) the clutch action was once again good and transmission shifting woes were no more. Really quite a striking change and for the better. While the brakes weren't manifesting any signs of any issues clearly the fluid was "bad" and a brake fluid service is way less expensive than renewing brake calipers, master cylinder, hydraulic lines, and clutch master and slave cylinders.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2023, 12:30 PM   #9
eli371
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 m240i

you can always add it later. Added it on my wifes F29 at about 79k kilometers and had her brakes changed for "free" shortly after.
'22 m240i
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2023, 01:54 PM   #10
Pentland
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eli371 View Post
you can always add it later. Added it on my wifes F29 at about 79k kilometers and had her brakes changed for "free" shortly after.
You can’t add it at 79k Km. You can only add it up to the first service item.
The brakes change above is a red herring. Pads and discs are not included in the service pack.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2023, 11:24 AM   #11
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240x, 2007 Honda VFR

It is quite confusing, as the plan details change by county (US is different than UK), and they vary by model year, and there are various BMW plans that cover different stuff. Note: Ultimate Care+ does cover brake pads, while the standard Ultimate Care covers only fluid. See plan descriptions below:

Here is the breakdown for US (from 2/04/2022 BMW)

Quote:
What Is BMW Ultimate Care?

BMW Ultimate Care is a maintenance program designed to help you keep your new BMW running smoothly for as many years as you want to drive it. The plan comes standard with every new BMW sold or leased by an authorized BMW center. It covers the first three years or 36,000 miles, and all the work is performed at a certified BMW service center. The items included in the Ultimate Care program include engine oil, engine filter, brake fluid, cabin microfilters, engine air filters, and spark plugs. Additional items include the remote control key battery, vehicle check, and the fuel filter for diesel engines.

Ultimate Care for 2017 models and newer includes all BMW scheduled maintenance, including filter and oil changes. For model years 2016 and older, it includes the BMW scheduled maintenance for four years or 50,000 miles. It also provides roadside assistance for four years and unlimited miles, along with BMW Teleservice.
BMW Ultimate Care Scheduled

If you opt for the Ultimate Care Scheduled plan, it covers the maintenance for five years or up to 75,000 miles.
BMW Ultimate Care+

Upgrade to Ultimate Care+ for your 2017 BMW and newer, and it will cover the maintenance for seven years or up to 125,000 miles. Ultimate Care+ also covers the replacement of specific wear-and-tear items, including wiper blades, brake pads, and, if you have it, the manual transmission clutch. This plan is transferable to a subsequent owner if you decide to sell your car.

You can extend Ultimate Care+ for up to four more years and up to an additional 89,000 miles. This additional coverage is optional at any point before the end of the current coverage.
BMW Ultimate Care Oil Services

For drivers looking for a basic plan, the BMW Ultimate Care Oil Services is a prepaid plan covering three years of oil services for BMW vehicles that have reached 60 months or 60,000 miles.
And then there is dealer "BMW Value Service"
Quote:
Since service is not one-size-fits-all, even within different BMW models, the Value Service program applies to select services and select models. The services depend on the BMW Center, and the availability can also vary between centers. Call your local BMW dealer to find out more about what they offer for Value Service.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2023, 01:52 PM   #12
Pentland
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danallxt View Post
It is quite confusing, as the plan details change by county (US is different than UK), and they vary by model year, and there are various BMW plans that cover different stuff. Note: Ultimate Care+ does cover brake pads, while the standard Ultimate Care covers only fluid. See plan descriptions below:

Here is the breakdown for US (from 2/04/2022 BMW)

And then there is dealer "BMW Value Service"

Value service in the UK is for cars over 3 years old.
It’s a “hook” to get out of warranty vehicles without a service plan to dealers for their service. Most go to a good indy in that circumstance.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 06:55 AM   #13
eli371
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentland View Post
You can’t add it at 79k Km. You can only add it up to the first service item.
The brakes change above is a red herring. Pads and discs are not included in the service pack.
we did add service inclusive plus at 79,950 km and just had the rotors and pads changed for free, this was a CPO car though.

inclusive plus:
Front Brake Pads and Discs
Rear Brake Pads and Discs
Clutch (if worn)*
Windshield Wiper Blades
'22 m240i
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 08:22 AM   #14
Pentland
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eli371 View Post
we did add service inclusive plus at 79,950 km and just had the rotors and pads changed for free, this was a CPO car though.

inclusive plus:
Front Brake Pads and Discs
Rear Brake Pads and Discs
Clutch (if worn)*
Windshield Wiper Blades

You said service inclusive could be added, not service inclusive plus as you now added above. In either case it’s irrelevant for the OP as there is no service plus inclusive in the UK and he asked about the service inclusive.

https://www.bmw.co.uk/en/topics/owne...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 06:44 PM   #15
hpaco
Mexico
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper S

Mine says:
8KH
Oelserviceint. 20.000km/18months
Oelwartungsint. 20.000km/18monate

Oil service 12500 miles or 18 months
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 06:08 AM   #16
mad murph
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

So, do we know the service intervals for the M240i in the UK? I too and trying to decide whether to include the service pack with the car
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 08:39 AM   #17
Pentland
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad murph View Post
So, do we know the service intervals for the M240i in the UK? I too and trying to decide whether to include the service pack with the car
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 09:20 AM   #18
mad murph
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

oh yeah, just seen your post

Got to be worth it over 4 years then
Appreciate 0