home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

08-15-2023, 12:51 PM   #23
ryo-
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 MWM M240i

the only issue I've had with my car is the collision detection not letting me out of my garage. I bet I look like an idiot to my neighbors when I gotta pull into my garage a few times before I actually am able to back out without slamming the brakes.

as for rattles and other noises, I have not experienced anything. maybe I got lucky on the assembly line?
Appreciate 1
TJZ67201843.50
      08-15-2023, 01:14 PM   #24
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkat09 View Post
On id8 I’d like to be able to manually turn on and adjust the

heated seats without going into the climate menu and then

turn off the auto function
You can do that with voice control.
IIRC when the heated seats are on, there is an icon next to the climate setting that shortcuts to the seats.
Appreciate 1
bobkat09151.50
      08-15-2023, 01:16 PM   #25
bmwloverm2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i 2022

Regarding the rattles

especially /cc to Coconut i had the one that you are mentioning as most disgusting (and in deed it was)

It is a well known rattle that BMW is aware of since 2019 in the G20 versions, and still they do nothing, basically there are two plastic parts touching in the center speaker.

Instead of letting BMW solving it for me, i solved it by myself in literally 15 min and 10$ tooling. It was easy AF.

I wrote this post back in the day because it's something that happens A LOT.

SOLUTION to the rattle in the Center Speaker

https://g87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1938635

EDIT: Just read that you checked is not the center speaker, however not even putting my hands on it would solve it, until i opened the grille and it disspaeared. then i knew some plastic clip was touchin another plastic part. Just in case you wan to double check
Appreciate 2
XC3LLR82062.50
Coconut768.50
      08-15-2023, 01:16 PM   #26
Pentland
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC3LLR8 View Post
[[*]No dipstick[/LIST]
It’s located on your driver’s seat.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 01:21 PM   #27
bmwloverm2
Private First Class
Rep

Also regarding rattles, those lucky without any rattle, this is something that tends to appear when you add years and milleage to any car... so potentially at some moment some will appear...

One trick i've found useful for avoding appearance of long term rattles is that i try not to park to exposed sun for hours where everything will change a bit in sizes due to hot and then recover their position etc, in the end rattles happen due to all that dilatation-contraction again in the interior plastics.

I prefer to go into a pay car parking and 1) when i come back its not hot as hell 2) i delay some of those rattles
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 03:31 PM   #28
applecst
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i

One thing I don't love about is the lack of m1/m2 buttons. I know we are not a "M" car but this makes it so inconvenient to change driving modes while driving. Looking for some way to retrofit the buttons 😂
      08-15-2023, 03:54 PM   #29
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep
Drives: Super73

Quote:
Originally Posted by applecst View Post
One thing I don't love about is the lack of m1/m2 buttons. I know we are not a "M" car but this makes it so inconvenient to change driving modes while driving. Looking for some way to retrofit the buttons 😂
Many months ago I would've agreed. Now, I feel like I have my Sport Individual settings, along with mods, working so well together that I seldom feel the need to change modes. Only exception is slapping the transmission back to engage Sport (transmission) and turning off TC.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 04:06 PM   #30
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW M240i

Quote:
Many months ago I would've agreed. Now, I feel like I have my Sport Individual settings, along with mods, working so well together that I seldom feel the need to change modes. Only exception is slapping the transmission back to engage Sport (transmission) and turning off TC.
I'd love customizable M1 & M2 buttons. Any time I am coasting on the highway I switch to eco pro for fuel economy. I do like to switch to sport plus at random and also while running errands and stuff. Hopefully one day BMW will make it an option on M lites.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 04:45 PM   #31
Pentland
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Hey BMW, switch to sport plus.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 05:01 PM   #32
applecst
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentland View Post
Hey BMW, switch to sport plus.
I think most people would agree that's too much trouble and just not too much lag to switch driving mode😂
      08-15-2023, 10:48 PM   #33
nype
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i / BMW X5 35d

I saw some UK based tuner shop on YouTube add M1/ M2 buttons to an M240i. I think they said that they could be configured for certain modes but not for custom settings. Haven’t been able to find that channel again though.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 02:52 AM   #34
PNTDG42
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G42, F97 LCI, EBA R35, Z34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPR View Post
2. The auto engine stop feature could be more intelligent. Sometimes it won't engage when I expect it should. Also, when parking at work I pull into a spot to back into another and the engine will stop for a split second as I stop to transition from D to R. They should add a 3 second delay to counter this situation to keep the motor running.
When you come to a halt and it doesn’t engage auto engine stop, while continuing to hold the brake pedal, give it a firm deeper push down and it will stop the engine. This works for me every time.

I suspect that opposite to that (but haven’t consciously been trying) coming to a stop while letting up on the pedal pressure until it’s very light just before stopping keeps it running (like the times you do it unintentionally).
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 05:26 AM   #35
Pentland
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I think most people would agree that's too much trouble and just not too much lag to switch driving mode😂
Agree. However, I have never understood the massive inconvenience of pressing the sport button, or the Auto stop start button for that matter. Plus there is always sprint if you want to keep your hands on the wheel.
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2023, 05:41 AM   #36
bmwloverm2
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNTDG42 View Post
When you come to a halt and it doesn’t engage auto engine stop, while continuing to hold the brake pedal, give it a firm deeper push down and it will stop the engine. This works for me every time.

I suspect that opposite to that (but haven’t consciously been trying) coming to a stop while letting up on the pedal pressure until it’s very light just before stopping keeps it running (like the times you do it unintentionally).

I confirm this works for me too, i use it quite often, both cases.

1) If it does not stop engine, i will firmly push brake and it will then do it. Only exception is if the air conditioning needs at that moment the engine working, it won't auto-stop, but i haven't found more situations that the hard push doesn't work on trafic lights, etc.

2) i also confirm that pressing very lightly the brake pedal will avoid the start/stop engaging, is like it understands i will continue my march almost rightaway and it doesn't stop.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 07:39 AM   #37
ThunderM240
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Sensors having a mind of their own when backing out of the garage. Sometimes it's like a horse not wanting to leave the barn.
Scared the sh*t out of me first time it happened. I stopped using AUTO HOLD cause I thought that had something to do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryo- View Post
the only issue I've had with my car is the collision detection not letting me out of my garage. I bet I look like an idiot to my neighbors when I gotta pull into my garage a few times before I actually am able to back out without slamming the brakes.
Nice to know I am not the only one with this problem.....

Otherwise, after 19 months still loving driving my car
2003 325i
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 09:09 AM   #38
Jonesymx29
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW M240i xDrive

I've put on 6800 miles in 8 1/2 months, and the only things that have irked me are:

1. The lane assist I shut off on day 1 after it tried to wildly correct lanes when on I-295 in a construction zone... never again!

2. I wish there was a classic gauge option on the digital display. White face gauges with the orange backlighting of the older gen cars would be ace.

3. Lack of manual option to move the seats back and forth. I barely use the backseats but you could play the final jeopardy theme in full waiting for the seat to move all the way forward or back.

4. The HK stereo is just not the best, simple as.

5. You can't use voice command to set GPS directions while the parking cameras are on. I always back out of my driveway so i either have to remember to set it when im parked, or, hopefully I've taken off in the correct direction.
2006 Saab 9-3 2.0t - Fusion Blue over Slate Gray (Gone)
1999 Saab 9-5 SE - Green Silver Metallic over Beige (Gone)
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 09:11 AM   #39
vicbmw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

As the title of this thread says: "One thing you Don't like about your M240"... From when I intended to place my order, the one thing that I didn't like about this car from the beginning was that it has a trunk instead of a lift back... A small car like this should have a lift back to increase the utility. But I accepted this issue from the beginning and custom ordered my car the way I wanted it... It's easy to nit pick about problems, issues or tech errors, but if I had to choose stuff that I don't like and didn't expect... The one thing I don't like about the car is the engine shutting down at a stop. Every time I start up the car, I turn that feature off, and I switch the drive setting to adaptive from the comfort default. I really don't understand why BMW didn't give car owners the option to choose these items once in the car's settings so we don't have to select these choices every time at start up... very odd.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 09:56 AM   #40
Pentland
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicbmw View Post
As the title of this thread says: "One thing you Don't like about your M240"... From when I intended to place my order, the one thing that I didn't like about this car from the beginning was that it has a trunk instead of a lift back... A small car like this should have a lift back to increase the utility. But I accepted this issue from the beginning and custom ordered my car the way I wanted it... It's easy to nit pick about problems, issues or tech errors, but if I had to choose stuff that I don't like and didn't expect... The one thing I don't like about the car is the engine shutting down at a stop. Every time I start up the car, I turn that feature off, and I switch the drive setting to adaptive from the comfort default. I really don't understand why BMW didn't give car owners the option to choose these items once in the car's settings so we don't have to select these choices every time at start up... very odd.

Welcome to the world of H&S. Usually things like that are in place because some American has burned themselves on a cup of, unsurprisingly, hot coffee.

Anyway, such things are not unique to BMWs so should really be omitted from the list.
The good thing with BMW is the lane assist can be dialled down permanently to a mere buzz of the wheel and it only operates above ~40mph. You should see Toyota’s version. It will pull your arm off at 10mph.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 10:45 AM   #41
RICH S202
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nype View Post
I saw some UK based tuner shop on YouTube add M1/ M2 buttons to an M240i. I think they said that they could be configured for certain modes but not for custom settings. Haven’t been able to find that channel again though.
here...
Appreciate 1
nype139.50
      08-16-2023, 10:49 AM   #42
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep
Drives: Super73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentland View Post
Welcome to the world of H&S. Usually things like that are in place because some American has burned themselves on a cup of, unsurprisingly, hot coffee.

Anyway, such things are not unique to BMWs so should really be omitted from the list.
The good thing with BMW is the lane assist can be dialled down permanently to a mere buzz of the wheel and it only operates above ~40mph. You should see Toyota’s version. It will pull your arm off at 10mph.
BMW's lane assist can be turned off completely, at least in the US. Mine was turned off before I ever left the dealer's parking lot.

Back in college we studied the 'hot coffee spill' in a law class, and there was some justification to the lawsuit. The coffee was waaaay beyond "hot" and McDonald's intentionally dialed up the temp well past the norm so your coffee would still be hot when you finished your commute and got to work. Good intentions, but at a dangerous level.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 11:16 AM   #43
Coconut
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICH S202 View Post
Correct, there is a nM1/M2 steering wheel retrofit kit sourced from China that enables the use of these buttons. You won't get full functionality like the OEM M buttons, these will function like a drive mode (ECO, Comfort, Sport, etc) selector.
nype139.50
      08-16-2023, 11:26 AM   #44
Bandit009
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by danallxt View Post
I've been holding off on mentioning this, but it does bug me, and i realize it may be a bit of nitpicking, but I'll vent a bit about it here.

The one thing is the cruise control, and specifically how it automatically cuts off when it experiences a certain side loading or certain g forces in cornering.

For example at a 62mph cruise set, a posted 45mph corner will cause the cruise to disengage (and i suspect braking as well as some times its an abrupt deceleration). Now i can see this as a safety feature, but not on a supposed drivers car with a "M" badge. Example, one road i drive often is mostly straights, and then you come across 2 linked 45 mph corners, cruise at 65 will abruptly shut off as one approaches apex, then rapidly accelerates back to cruise speed as the corner unwinds, but then you are into the next corner and it shuts down again, and then accelerates again. First time i experienced this was wtf? It's just that if i have a route that is 90 plus percent straight i use cruise.

Now i know all i gotta do is override the cruise, but then I've never had cruise do this in any of my cars. Is that becoming normal? For those that have other newer cars, is this normal?

It's just that especially with a "drivers" car i would think this should be disabled if desired, but i guess we are getting more into the nanny state were the car does the thinking so we can drive with half a brain. It does this in any mode, sport or comfort. This is just my little petty gripe. no biggie.
I would say the lack of steering feedback. And sometimes radio stations stop scrolling.
Appreciate 0