home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

09-12-2023, 04:44 PM   #1
VegasG42
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M240i xDrive

Still Slightly Confused About The Ordering Process From BMW

So I recently cancelled my C8 Stingray order. And have decided the xdrive M240i would be a much more logical, comfortable, and practical daily driver. Not to mention - about $20k cheaper.

Ordering a C8 goes like this :
1) Find a dealership that will sell for MSRP.
2) Put down a small waitlist deposit.
3) Wait the 8 to 13 months for an allocation.
4) Dealer calls you when allocation comes up and they tell you to submit your build on the Chevrolet website.
5) Car gets built and sent to dealership.

So for the BMW , I visited BMWs website. I registered a username etc..
I made a preliminary build, just to get familiar with the website and process.
The next step was to select the dealership I would like to use here in Las Vegas, which I did. Simple enough. But of course , I didn't actually complete the process and submit everything for a build.

Is there a chance that my local BMW dealership will try to charge me more than MSRP ? Do I need to find a dealership that will guarantee MSRP ?

And

Do I need to talk to the dealership to find out if they have an allocation available for a xdrive M240i ?

Or do I need to call around to different dealerships to try and find an allocation ?

I'm assuming once I select a dealership on the BMW site , and order a vehicle - I'm locked into that dealership and am subjected to their fees, time frames, available allocations etc .... ?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2023, 05:36 PM   #2
RICH S202
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW m240i

So i went on autotrader and found a dealership that had already ordered a car for their showroom. I then put a deposit ($500) down and my name was officially on that car. It was the exact spec i wanted and the bonus was that it was already in production so i didn't have to wait as long as others on here. That was my experience
Appreciate 2
VegasG42381.00
PL4NCK10.50
      09-12-2023, 05:39 PM   #3
Coconut
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i xDrive

Easy, call all the local dealers and ask them two things, what’s the price for special orders (confirm if MSRP) and do they have a current allocation or when the next available allocation will be. Once confirmed, you’ll put down a refundable deposit (usually $1-2.5k) and build your m240i on the website and then send that build sheet to the dealer. Once allocation is open they will then turn that build into an order. Usually takes 2-3 months build once you get the allocation. That’s it.

Nearly all dealers are doing MSRP on special orders and most get an allocation of 1-4 M240’s per month. Just go with the dealer that guarantees MSRP and has the soonest available allocation. In most states, the deposit is refundable and you can decide to not take delivery of the car once it comes in (full deposit refund). The dealer is mostly ok with this as they’ll just list it on their site and it will eventually sell. While your car is being built or while waiting for the allocation, you can discuss out the door price (MSRP + tax + title/fees) at your dealer and financing options if you go that route. Always good to shop at credit unions for the best rate and have the dealer either beat it or match it.

Last edited by Coconut; 09-12-2023 at 05:48 PM..
Appreciate 1
VegasG42381.00
      09-12-2023, 05:49 PM   #4
VegasG42
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICH S202 View Post
So i went on autotrader and found a dealership that had already ordered a car for their showroom. I then put a deposit ($500) down and my name was officially on that car. It was the exact spec i wanted and the bonus was that it was already in production so i didn't have to wait as long as others on here. That was my experience
Very good option. Keep my eyes open for a similar spec m240 , and call that dealership when one pops up. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2023, 05:54 PM   #5
VegasG42
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut View Post
Easy, call all the local dealers and ask them two things, what’s the price for special orders (confirm if MSRP) and do they have a current allocation or when the next available allocation will be. Once confirmed, you’ll put down a refundable deposit (usually $1-2.5k) and build your m240i on the website and then send that build sheet to the dealer. Once allocation is open they will then turn that build into an order. Usually takes 2-3 months build once you get the allocation. That’s it.

Nearly all dealers are doing MSRP on special orders and most get an allocation of 1-4 M240’s per month. Just go with the dealer that guarantees MSRP and has the soonest available allocation. In most states, the deposit is refundable and you can decide to not take delivery of the car once it comes in (full deposit refund). The dealer is mostly ok with this as they’ll just list it on their site and it will eventually sell. While your car is being built or while waiting for the allocation, you can discuss out the door price (MSRP + tax + title/fees) at your dealer and financing options if you go that route. Always good to shop at credit unions for the best rate and have the dealer either beat it or match it.
That's pretty much what I figured. Gotta talk to both of my local dealerships and see what they have going on.

I typically try to minimize my dealership exposure for fear of getting stuck with some overzealous salesperson. lol

But looks like I will need to make a trip and talk to some sales managers. Hopefully they will be honest and upfront with the realistic time frames.

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2023, 05:58 PM   #6
Coconut
Lieutenant
Rep

Actually, you can do all this over the phone. That’s what I did when I was ordering my m240i last year. You can get all that info over the phone and even do the credit check in advance online. I never stepped foot in the dealer (1hr away). I did everything over phone and email, then once the car was delivered I went to thrndealer to sign the papers. In and out in 1hr.
VegasG42381.00
      09-12-2023, 06:10 PM   #7
VegasG42
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Actually, you can do all this over the phone. That’s what I did when I was ordering my m240i last year. You can get all that info over the phone and even do the credit check in advance online. I never stepped foot in the dealer (1hr away). I did everything over phone and email, then once the car was delivered I went to thrndealer to sign the papers. In and out in 1hr.
That sounds much better .

When you call do you just ask to speak with any sales manager ? Or will any salesperson suffice ?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2023, 06:19 PM   #8
Coconut
Lieutenant
Rep

Any Client Advisor (bmw version of sales associate) should be able to help. If you’re not happy with that persons communication then ask for the Internet Sales Manager.
VegasG42381.00
      09-12-2023, 06:36 PM   #9
VegasG42
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Any Client Advisor (bmw version of sales associate) should be able to help. If you’re not happy with that persons communication then ask for the Internet Sales Manager.
Very nice . Thank you for your help my friend
Appreciate 1
Coconut768.50
      09-12-2023, 07:03 PM   #10
WilcoJunoHotel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 M240i RWD

If you are a Costco member, some dealers will honor the $1K discount off MSRP that Costco dealers are offering.

I got my 24MY at 23MY MSRP less $1K Costco discount and no BS dealer fee addons.

I got lucky that my dealer got an allocation within 2 weeks of my $1K deposit.

Used ones are selling for almost as much as a new one. The only advantage that I can see for buying used is that you don't have to wait the 3+ months.

One other thing: Do your build online from the BMW website, save the build number and print a copy (PDF format) and then shop it with 2 or 3 BMW dealers. They will ask for your build number which will have all the details AND the MSRP price on it. Then negotiate from there.
Appreciate 1
VegasG42381.00
      09-12-2023, 07:40 PM   #11
VegasG42
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilcoJunoHotel View Post
If you are a Costco member, some dealers will honor the $1K discount off MSRP that Costco dealers are offering.

I got my 24MY at 23MY MSRP less $1K Costco discount and no BS dealer fee addons.

Used ones are selling for almost as much as a new one. The only advantage that I can see for buying used is that you don't have to wait the 3+ months.

One other thing: Do your build online from the BMW website, save the build number and print a copy (PDF format) and then shop it with 2 or 3 BMW dealers. They will ask for your build number which will have all the details AND the MSRP price on it. Then negotiate from there.
Oh wow, really good info. Thank you. I've been meaning to get a Costco membership. I'll have to look into that.

And you're right about low mileage 22s and 23s . They are just barely cheaper than brand new
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 02:09 AM   #12
VegasG42
Captain
Rep

Quote:

I couldn't find any information regarding pricing through Costco for any discount on BMW vehicles.

Perhaps they are no longer offering this.

And doing a search for Costco / BMW authorized dealerships, nothing was found..

I will continue to check CostcoAuto to see if anything turns up
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 08:29 AM   #13
WilcoJunoHotel
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasG42 View Post
I couldn't find any information regarding pricing through Costco for any discount on BMW vehicles.

Perhaps they are no longer offering this.

And doing a search for Costco / BMW authorized dealerships, nothing was found..

I will continue to check CostcoAuto to see if anything turns up
https://www.costcoauto.com/enterzipc...BwE%26cmpc%3d1
Appreciate 1
VegasG42381.00
      09-13-2023, 11:02 AM   #14
VegasG42
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I believe the link is case sensitive / user specific , and your search is tied to your zip code.
The link just takes me to the main home page. No worries , i appreciate the help.
I'm going to try and enter different zip codes on the search and see if any authorized dealers pop up. I will have to see if an out of state buyer can use their CostcoAuto program
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 01:02 PM   #15
WilcoJunoHotel
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I believe the link is case sensitive / user specific , and your search is tied to your zip code.
The link just takes me to the main home page. No worries , i appreciate the help.
I'm going to try and enter different zip codes on the search and see if any authorized dealers pop up. I will have to see if an out of state buyer can use their CostcoAuto program
Not sure I understand what the problem would be on your end - that link is copied & pasted directly from my Chrome browser and it should take you directly to the Costco Auto website without you having to do anything but click on the link.

There were only 2 BMW dealers in metro Atlanta (~8 million souls) that participate in this program so where you are located may not pull up any dealers; However, you still might be able to leverage a $1K discount with your local dealer because there is nothing to stop you from buying it in another city/state that does have a participating dealer.
Appreciate 1
VegasG42381.00
      09-14-2023, 10:45 AM   #16
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240x, 2007 Honda VFR

As Coconut above said:
Keep it simple!
Ya need to ask only two questions
1) most important...do ya have an open allocation, if not when
2)price relative to MSRP
If they cannot answer those directly, move on.
If they "promise" an allocation in the future, hold off on commitment/agreement etc until you verify an actual open allocation YOU can fill. (that is unless you are willing to possibly wait 6 months or longer). I got mine in 2 months with an immediate open allocation i could fill.
Appreciate 1
VegasG42381.00
      09-14-2023, 10:56 AM   #17
nickmaguire
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 m240i

I reached out to 8 or 9 dealerships and got quotes for a new build. For each one they offered MSRP, but some tacked on BS options that are not needed and some had different admin fees, freight/PDI fees, green tire (nitrogen fill), winter mats, etc etc.

Since I had 8 different quotes all with the same MSRP but varying additional fees, I made my own with the lowest costs for all charges. I then called the dealer that had the closest allocation (week 35) and provided my expectations along with my credit card to make it a firm offer.

The sales rep took it to her manager, and they approved the sale, and added on a 3% discount off MSRP - roughly $3500 CAD of reductions.
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2023, 12:06 PM   #18
VegasG42
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danallxt View Post
As Coconut above said:
Keep it simple!
Ya need to ask only two questions
1) most important...do ya have an open allocation, if not when
2)price relative to MSRP
If they cannot answer those directly, move on.
If they "promise" an allocation in the future, hold off on commitment/agreement etc until you verify an actual open allocation YOU can fill. (that is unless you are willing to possibly wait 6 months or longer). I got mine in 2 months with an immediate open allocation i could fill.
Exactly . If they start dancing around with what the final price will be - in writing . Or they can't tell me when exactly they will have an allocation , then i know to try somewhere else .
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 12:10 PM   #19
VegasG42
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmaguire View Post
I reached out to 8 or 9 dealerships and got quotes for a new build. For each one they offered MSRP, but some tacked on BS options that are not needed and some had different admin fees, freight/PDI fees, green tire (nitrogen fill), winter mats, etc etc.

Since I had 8 different quotes all with the same MSRP but varying additional fees, I made my own with the lowest costs for all charges. I then called the dealer that had the closest allocation (week 35) and provided my expectations along with my credit card to make it a firm offer.

The sales rep took it to her manager, and they approved the sale, and added on a 3% discount off MSRP - roughly $3500 CAD of reductions.
Very nice! Yep, their BS dealership 'fees' can easily add $1k to $2k to the price . Such a scam.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 12:59 PM   #20
WA
G42 B58 C56
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i

Costco ... don't entirely trust website

Costco ... don't entirely trust the website results when it comes to participating dealers.

I have an M240 coming soon ("Ready for Transport" status currently) and this was my Costco experience.

1. Completed the Costco form, zip code, model, etc.

2. Result was the 3rd closest dealer (60 min away) participated in the program and was the only one listed. (Two closer dealers to me are 20-25 min. away.) Doesn't tell you on the website, but it's $750 off MSRP for the 2 Series.

3. I visit that dealer an hour away, test drive, return home.

4. But before placing the order with that dealer, I exchange emails with the closest dealer (to see if they'll match) to find out that they do indeed participate in the Costco program. Ended up ordering from them.

Called the 3rd party company that actually operates the Costco Auto Program (it's not Costco themselves) to vent about them wasting my time, not showing me the closest dealer as participating. They could not give me a straight answer as to why the website result didn't show them.

Everyone's experience will naturally vary based on location. But if your results don't show your closest dealer(s) or any at all ... still worth a quick email/call to the dealer to verify.

--------------------------------------------------

Unrelated to Costco, here is another discount that might be available to some:

https://bmwna.jotform.com/83125576463158

It is "BMW GROUP CORPORATE SALES PROGRAM" and if you work for a large company, you may be eligible for this separate discount. There's a drop-down where you can search for participating companies. 2 Series discount (excluding M2) is $500.

Last edited by WA; 09-14-2023 at 06:57 PM..
Appreciate 1
VegasG42381.00
      09-14-2023, 01:36 PM   #21
VegasG42
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WA View Post
Costco ... don't entirely trust what the website give you when it comes to participating dealers.

I have an M240 coming soon ("Ready for Transport" status currently) and this was my Costco experience.

1. Completed the Costco form, zip code, model, etc.

2. Result was the 3rd closest dealer (60 min away) participated in the program and was the only one listed. (Two closer dealers to me are 20-25 min. away.) Doesn't tell you on the website, but it's $750 off MSRP for the 2 Series.

3. I visit that dealer an hour away, test drive, return home.

4. But before placing the order with that dealer, I exchange emails with the closest dealer (to see if they'll match) to find out that they do indeed participate in the Costco program. Ended up ordering from them.

Called the 3rd party company that actually operates the Costco Auto Program (it's not Costco themselves) to vent about them wasting my time, not showing me the closest dealer as participating. They could not give me a straight answer as to why the website result didn't show them.

Everyone's experience will naturally vary based on location. But if your results don't show your closest dealer(s) or any at all ... still worth a quick email/call to the dealer to verify.

--------------------------------------------------

Unrelated to Costco, here is another discount that might be available to some:

https://bmwna.jotform.com/83125576463158

It is "BMW GROUP CORPORATE SALES PROGRAM" and if you work for a large company, you may be eligible for this separate discount. There's a drop-down where you can search for participating companies. 2 Series discount (excluding M2) is $500.
Very good idea . To simply use the $750 discount offered from some participating dealerships to use as a starting price point for the local dealership of your choosing.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2023, 08:00 AM   #22
darkvader0
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Exactly . If they start dancing around with what the final price will be - in writing . Or they can't tell me when exactly they will have an allocation , then i know to try somewhere else .
This is the way
Appreciate 1
VegasG42381.00