BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

01-17-2024, 11:06 AM   #23
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnyfontaine View Post
totally disagree with this... he lives in NJ it looks like, and not everyone lives somewhere that they can literally drive over 140MPH. MANY people have no intention of tracking the car, and do not have roads where they can go over 130MPH. not everyone has the same intention with this car, and for someone like myself (and many others) the option is a waste of money. conversely, it's a great spec for other folks
It’s not about going over 130mph. It’s about having better looking wheels and higher performing tyres so when you do apply power or go down the twistys, the car stays where you put it.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 11:32 AM   #24
donnyfontaine
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentland View Post
It’s not about going over 130mph. It’s about having better looking wheels and higher performing tyres so when you do apply power or go down the twistys, the car stays where you put it.
again that's great it worked out for you, it was the right spec for you. many, many people like the default option for wheels aesthetically, and also may not want summer tires. this is my winter car, and my RS5 gets the summer tires. that car can go to 174mph, so different wheels, different tires, and a speed delimiter would've been a waste for me on the 240

i'm just trying to make the point that it's worth making sure it's the right option for you, and even if you have money to blow, spending $2,400 on something that won't benefit you doesn't make sense

i will say - if you decide to sell privately instead of trade in when the time comes, i think being able to say you have the increased top speed will help value
Appreciate 4
TJZ67201843.50
PP3121360.50
wb8164128.50
burkhacs130.50
      01-17-2024, 12:27 PM   #25
Littlecoupe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentland View Post
If $2400 is breaking the bank on the buy, then you’re buying a car you can’t really afford.
This is the big thing I agree with. I have excess income available based on my budget even with my M240i payments, but I'm disgusted with myself with how much I am spending on this car payment versus my income. It's hugely disproportionate compared to "ideal" payment to budget ratios.

In this economy, I'd be hesitant to move into a car payment that can be breaking the bank.

Do as you will, but just my two cents.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 07:13 PM   #26
kudos
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Power Rob View Post
I have both...the G87 will dog it, the sport seats are better than what is available in the M240 and suspension is way better (especially with port installed HAS)...and its not uglier at all (yes, that is subjective).
This just isn't a true and there is plenty of video evidence to show you are wrong. Disagree all you want but the evidence speaks for itself. You're stuck with RWD which hinders you on the points I made.

On top of that, when you include your stated port installed HAS the price won't be anywhere near what this person is talking about. It's not a good comparison. You're just wrong all over the place on this.
      01-17-2024, 09:32 PM   #27
M_Power Rob
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudos View Post
This just isn't a true and there is plenty of video evidence to show you are wrong. Disagree all you want but the evidence speaks for itself. You're stuck with RWD which hinders you on the points I made.

On top of that, when you include your stated port installed HAS the price won't be anywhere near what this person is talking about. It's not a good comparison. You're just wrong all over the place on this.

I dont know what crap you are babbling about. A 0-60 is as much the driver as the car, and again, owning BOTH the G87 will equal or beat it. In the 1/4, if you dont think the G87 wont easily pull away, there is not much more to say...
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 10:08 PM   #28
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW M240i

Saying it again, don’t delete ZTK, you will regret it if you are any level of enthusiast. If you’re just looking for a grocery getter and you don’t care about cars, then go ahead and delete it.

When I first built my car I did not add it, but once I learned what it included I called my CA to have him add it. I am glad I did this as I know how much I’d have buyers remorse for not having the package and probably would have already been looking to replace the car, or spending way more to upgrade it…it’s just how I am.
Appreciate 1
Pentland1754.00
      01-17-2024, 11:33 PM   #29
tahoeacr
Private
Rep
Drives: 23 M240IX

Don't forget if you get the ZTK you have to buy the aftermarket skid plate to protect that oil cooler. I don't have the ZTK and have no problem driving hard enough to loose my license without it. LOL. Oil temps stay in control. Car does understeer just a touch at the limit. But telegraphs this well. How hard are you going to drive it? If you are not tracking it, don't bother. You can run 245's on the stock front wheels if you decide to wider.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 02:01 AM   #30
Pentland
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Power Rob View Post
I dont know what crap you are babbling about. A 0-60 is as much the driver as the car, and again, owning BOTH the G87 will equal or beat it. In the 1/4, if you dont think the G87 wont easily pull away, there is not much more to say...
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 04:53 AM   #31
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoeacr View Post
Don't forget if you get the ZTK you have to buy the aftermarket skid plate to protect that oil cooler. I don't have the ZTK and have no problem driving hard enough to loose my license without it. LOL. Oil temps stay in control. Car does understeer just a touch at the limit. But telegraphs this well. How hard are you going to drive it? If you are not tracking it, don't bother. You can run 245's on the stock front wheels if you decide to wider.
The big brakes and wheels were the primary selling points for me. The oil cooler sucks and I agree that you need to protect it, but that’s only $200ish.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 09:44 AM   #32
KJ10
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPR View Post
Saying it again, don’t delete ZTK, you will regret it if you are any level of enthusiast. If you’re just looking for a grocery getter and you don’t care about cars, then go ahead and delete it.

When I first built my car I did not add it, but once I learned what it included I called my CA to have him add it. I am glad I did this as I know how much I’d have buyers remorse for not having the package and probably would have already been looking to replace the car, or spending way more to upgrade it…it’s just how I am.
When I see people pushing the ZTK as an option that you must get if you are an enthusiast or drive over 55MPH all I can do is laugh. "If you don't get it you must not care about cars"
Appreciate 1
PP3121360.50
      01-18-2024, 10:00 AM   #33
KJ10
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnyfontaine View Post
again that's great it worked out for you, it was the right spec for you. many, many people like the default option for wheels aesthetically, and also may not want summer tires. this is my winter car, and my RS5 gets the summer tires. that car can go to 174mph, so different wheels, different tires, and a speed delimiter would've been a waste for me on the 240

i'm just trying to make the point that it's worth making sure it's the right option for you, and even if you have money to blow, spending $2,400 on something that won't benefit you doesn't make sense

i will say - if you decide to sell privately instead of trade in when the time comes, i think being able to say you have the increased top speed will help value
Don't forget you can get increased top speed buy just optioning performance non RFT tires without ZTK.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 10:17 AM   #34
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ10 View Post
When I see people pushing the ZTK as an option that you must get if you are an enthusiast or drive over 55MPH all I can do is laugh. "If you don't get it you must not care about cars"
Same as buying an M without something like a carbon roof, does it really matter? No, but if it was me, I’d want it. Big calipers, rotors, and the wheels are in the same category IMO.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 10:21 AM   #35
BG42
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240ix

Quote:
Same as buying an M without something like a carbon roof, does it really matter? No, but if it was me, I’d want it. Big calipers, rotors, and the wheels are in the same category IMO.
The wheels were the killer for me cant stand bi color. Maybe if they were forged even semi forged but cast bi color, I can live with the staggered black 791s for a lot longer than I would have been able to live with bi color wheels. End of the day its the buyers money let them spend it how they like. Also to beat a dead horse you get increased speed limit with performance summers regardless if they are run flat or not.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 10:24 AM   #36
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG42 View Post
The wheels were the killer for me cant stand bi color. Maybe if they were forged even semi forged but cast bi color, I can live with the staggered black 791s for a lot longer than I would have been able to live with bi color wheels. End of the day its the buyers money let them spend it how they like.
Definitely user preference, as I hate black wheels. The 893M wheels are not my favorite considering all wheels on the planet, but the best of what is offered from the factory, IMO.
Appreciate 1
Pentland1754.00
      01-18-2024, 10:25 AM   #37
Baldilocks73
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i (on order)

The ZTK wheels aren't that great looking and the tacked on fender extensions are kinda odd. I prefer the 792 or 791 style wheels. If you're not going to track your car, then no need to get the ZTK package.
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2024, 10:29 AM   #38
KJ10
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Sure. It was how you went about suggesting it, I just couldn't scroll by and ignore. Did you get the ZTK because you are "real enthusiast" and care about cars? It was just a funny way to convince someone it was the option worth keeping to me without asking how they plan on using the car. I consider myself and enthusiast and passionate about cars and have had no issues without the ZTK because of how I use my car.

Last edited by KJ10; 01-18-2024 at 10:41 AM..
Appreciate 2
      01-18-2024, 10:31 AM   #39
BG42
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240ix

Quote:
Definitely user preference, as I hate black wheels. The 893M wheels are not my favorite considering all wheels on the planet, but the best of what is offered from the factory, IMO.
yeah alot of old dudes in my vette circles hate on its black wheels, the chrome or die crowd. To each their own. I can still bend down to clean them weekly haha.
Appreciate 1
MPR1820.50
      01-18-2024, 11:07 AM   #40
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ10 View Post
Sure. It was how you went about suggesting it, I just couldn't scroll by and ignore. Did you get the ZTK because you are "real enthusiast" and care about cars? It was just a funny way to convince someone it was the option worth keeping to me without asking how they plan on using the car. I consider myself and enthusiast and passionate about cars and have had no issues without the ZTK because of how I use my car.
Well it is something an enthusiast would typically want… similar to a CF roof, bigger brakes, different wheels, spoiler, etc. It was more of a recommendation to think through the decision versus just making the call just to save $2K on a $69K purchase, for something that after taking delivery one would have wish they’d added given the price.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 11:25 AM   #41
KJ10
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Well it is something an enthusiast would typically want… similar to a CF roof, bigger brakes, different wheels, spoiler, etc. It was more of a recommendation to think through the decision versus just making the call just to save $2K on a $69K purchase, for something that after taking delivery one would have wish they’d added given the price.
Again, your response didn't suggest thinking through anything. Rather just insinuated not getting it is a mistake and must mean they are buying for the badge. A response that may encourage someone to put more thought into would have asked how they intend to use the car daily? Are any modifications planned already? Will it ever be tracked? 2k on a 69k purchase is still a waste of money if its not something you personally want/need. Adding more expensive options to a car doesn't make you an enthusiast if they are purely to show everyone you paid for them lol. But hey, to each their own man, I hope you are enjoying your car as much as I am mine.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 11:27 AM   #42
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

KJ10 lol ok man, you’re looking way too deep into this.
Appreciate 1
KJ10498.50
      01-18-2024, 11:59 AM   #43
vicbmw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickooz View Post
Here's the build, I'm in NJ.
BTW... Since you're wanting black seats, save $1500 and skip the leather and stay with perforated Sensetac. The non-leather seats will wear better, look better over time, and perforated Sensetac will breathe better than leather. And no one other than you will know that the seats aren't leather.

You can also save almost $1500 more by eliminating: park assist, drive recorder, remote start, and lumbar. This stuff doesn't add to the spirited driving experience. Be sure that you REALLY WANT the added lumbar before you order, the seats are already exceptionally comfortable, and some have commented that the lumbar makes the seat back uncomfortable and wish that they hadn't ordered it. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 01:09 PM   #44
Pentland
Colonel
Rep

Reading some of the responses and reasoning, the OP should just buy a 230i.
Appreciate 0