BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

02-06-2024, 04:16 PM   #1
lexoman
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M240ix

Angry 2024 M 240ix steering vibration

Just bought a 2024 M240 ix. There is a "vibration" in the wheel that feels as though your driving over a rough road surface. It decreases, but is still present above 80 mph. Brought it back to the dealer and they replaced all four tires. The issue continued. Brought the car in today and was told: "We test drove a different one, and it des the same thing. This is the way the care is supposed to drive." I spoke with the service manager and his response was to "elevate" te issue and have a BMW "engineer" to come down and drive the car. This will take several weeks. Any thoughts would really be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 04:57 PM   #2
SDKevin
Cone Killer
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i, Ducati 1299S

It is not supposed to do that. Make them fix it.

"We test drove a different one, and it des the same thing. This is the way the care is supposed to drive."

What a load.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 06:28 PM   #3
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW M240i

Did you drive a loaner or something else for comparison? Maybe it’s self fulfilling prophecy? The odds of the same issue on 2 cars is slim.

What kind of car did you regularly drive before this? BMW’s do not drive like Buick’s
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 07:02 PM   #4
Bandit009
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexoman View Post
Just bought a 2024 M240 ix. There is a "vibration" in the wheel that feels as though your driving over a rough road surface. It decreases, but is still present above 80 mph. Brought it back to the dealer and they replaced all four tires. The issue continued. Brought the car in today and was told: "We test drove a different one, and it des the same thing. This is the way the care is supposed to drive." I spoke with the service manager and his response was to "elevate" te issue and have a BMW "engineer" to come down and drive the car. This will take several weeks. Any thoughts would really be appreciated.
Strange they replaced all four tires. Sounds like a tire balancing issues. Would’ve thought they would try that first. Also, what tires do you have on the car? Run flats?

I can definitely say I don’t feel a vibration. My biggest complaint with this car is I don’t feel anything from the steering. It’s so numb.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 07:43 PM   #5
BG42
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240ix

Could be a faulty lane departure warning, I have all that stuff off but I think it vibrates if you leave the lane without a signal.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 02:10 PM   #6
lexoman
Rep

Actually went down to the dealership and drove another 2024 240ix and it DID have the same vibration! The now think it may be some kind of manufacturing defect and they're calling in an engineer from BMW.

Previous cars have been BMW's, Audis, and Mercedes. Never drove a Buick.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 02:24 PM   #7
BG42
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Actually went down to the dealership and drove another 2024 240ix and it DID have the same vibration! The now think it may be some kind of manufacturing defect and they're calling in an engineer from BMW.

Previous cars have been BMW's, Audis, and Mercedes. Never drove a Buick.
would have to do some digging but I think I remember some people with 2022s having a similar issue. Hopefully they get it sorted for you car is a blast.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 09:52 AM   #8
kuzdu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 M240i

So i had this same issue, P0 Pirelli tires. Car had 150 miles on it and took it in for vibration they said they are replacing all 4 tires got it back same issue. Got my self pilot sport 4s all seasons and now smooth as glass. There is an issue with the Pirellis i found online reading they just don’t balance well.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 01:01 PM   #9
lexoman
Rep

So you had to pay for four new tires on a brand new car?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 04:12 PM   #10
BG42
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
TBH my p zeros lasted 800 miles before one bubbled on the sidewall, jersey roads way worse than atl I'm sure you will be replacing soon anyway.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 06:59 AM   #11
kuzdu
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
they replaced all 4 since the car was brand new, but still had a vibration over 65, google P0 vibration and you will see a lot of people complaint about them. a new set of PS4 AS ran me 1200 but was well worth it. smooth as glass now
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 04:34 PM   #12
lexoman
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzdu View Post
they replaced all 4 since the car was brand new, but still had a vibration over 65, google P0 vibration and you will see a lot of people complaint about them. a new set of PS4 AS ran me 1200 but was well worth it. smooth as glass now
Are the PS4 AS run flats?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 04:40 PM   #13
lexoman
Rep

Angry BMW says vibration is normal

Just got word that the BMW engineer drove the car and said it was: "In normal operating parameters." He said that what is happening is that the "harmonics" of the engine are being felt through the wheel. This is normal in bigger (6 cylinder) engines with more power. There is nothing they will do. Did you ever hear such a load of BS?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 05:32 PM   #14
kuzdu
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Are the PS4 AS run flats?
Regular tires, never ever again will i have run flats lol
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2024, 07:23 PM   #15
lexoman
Rep

Quote:
Regular tires, never ever again will i have run flats lol
What happens if you get a flat?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 07:25 AM   #16
kuzdu
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
What happens if you get a flat?
can't repair if you get a nail inside and 3 of them just split on my F22 240. i had replaced those is PS4 AS and never looked back.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 10:16 AM   #17
BG42
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
can't repair if you get a nail inside and 3 of them just split on my F22 240. i had replaced those is PS4 AS and never looked back.
Are you saying you can't repair run flats because you most certainly can, the dealer wont do it but most good tire shops will patch a run flat without issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 10:16 AM   #18
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Just got word that the BMW engineer drove the car and said it was: "In normal operating parameters." He said that what is happening is that the "harmonics" of the engine are being felt through the wheel. This is normal in bigger (6 cylinder) engines with more power. There is nothing they will do. Did you ever hear such a load of BS?
Just a variation of "they all do that".

Which may not (or may) be the case...

I've driven various cars from a 1971 Datsun 510, Mustang GT, Camaro Z28, 3 Porsche cars including a 996 Turbo, Dodge Hellcat and two Dodge Scat Packs, 3 MINI Coopers (one S and 2 JCWs), a 2022 BMW 230i, and my current fleet which consists of a 2023 BMW M2 (with a 6-cylinder engine and manual transmission) and a 2024 BMW 230i xDrive.

Have never felt engine harmonics through the steering wheel.

Now years ago with my 2002 Boxster I felt what I believed to be wheel/tire vibration coming through the steering wheel. The vibration was not severe but I noticed it. Long story short I had been playing with tire pressures and I had inflated the front tires from the factory recommended 29psi to several PSI higher, to 32psi. (The factory called for the rear tires to be inflated to 36psi. I left the rear tires alone.)

On a hunch -- and last thing touched is first thing suspected -- I brought the front tire air pressures back to 29psi. Vibration gone.

And from then on kept the tires properly inflated.

Even so at various times with the Boxster and even more so with the Turbo I'd notice a mild vibration that felt like some tire imbalance. But the tires had been balanced when installed and I had done nothing to change that balance, that is wheel weights were untouched and all present and accounted for.

But what I learned is with high performance tires they can as they wear go out of balance. So more than once when I had one of my Porsche cars in for new rear tires -- with 20K miles on them -- while the front tires were fine with enough tread to go another 20K miles (and with margin to spare) I'd have the front tires balanced. The tech reported they were out of balance, not by a lot, but enough to warrant correcting the balance.

But the vibration was not present from new, so how does this apply to your situation? Well, it doesn't except that it gives me the chance to stress to be sure the tires are properly inflated. I use a quality air pressure gauge with a dial (large dial) and a "memory" feature that has the needle staying put after I remove the gauge from the tire stem.

I strive -- it is not hard -- to get the tires correctly inflated to the called for pressure as close as I can. And with a dial gauge I can get the tires pretty darn close.

Don't know about the 240 but with my M2 the depending upon the tires/wheel sizes the inflation pressures for the front and rear tires can be different. And I adhere to what the factory calls for. And so should you.

Not finished there's more...

With my 230i I don't recall any issues and that includes tires/alignment issues. Same with my M2.

But with my 230i xDrive long story short I felt the alignment was off. To the point I brought this up with my service advisor and he booked the car in for an alignment check and under the warranty.

I had a few days before the appointment and drove the car quite a bit on a variety of roads. On a lot of roads the car felt fine. I started to have 2nd thoughts about my suspicion there was an alignment problem. Oh the steering wheel was centered -- this was done after having test driven the car I pointed out the steering wheel was *not* centered and this was addressed while I was finalizing the car purchase -- and the car did not wander and under braking there was no pulling to one side or the other. While I did notice the steering wheel was not centered at the time I didn't really notice any issues with the alignment. But the test drive was very short mainly just around the block.

A day or two before the alignment appointment I spoke with the service advisor and told him I was having 2nd thoughts and rather than have the car in and having it returned to me with "no problem found" I'd just drive the car more and see what developed.

Service advisor insisted it was ok to bring the car in and he'd have a tech check the car's alignment.

So I brought the car in at the appointed time. Oh a fact worth mentioning: With 624 miles on the car. And -- wait for it -- the car was returned to me with no problem found. Alignment was correct. (And I got a printout.)

Well, I left the dealer and drove the car and it would feel fine then it would not feel fine. Nothing severe or scary or anything like just that the "alignment" felt off.

But I decided to just live with it. And after a bit the untoward behavior -- which as I mentioned above which was not that bad -- just well, it went away.

The conclusion I came up with as the car accumulated more miles the tires broke in and the steering/suspension/drive train likewise.

This 230i xDrive is my first real AWD car. Sure the 996 Turbo had AWD but it was a goofy system with a viscous coupling between the rear and front diffs and the amount of torque transmitted to the front diff/wheels was dependent upon speed. The factory specs gave the torque amount transmitted ranging from 5% (no speed given) to 40% at "150 mph".

So what I suspected was part of the sensation the alignment was off was due to the AWD system. I was *not* driving in marginal traction conditions so it was not like the AWD system was really being exercised.

So that was at 624 miles. Now with around 2500 miles on the car it feels quite good. The sensation/feeling the alignment is off has gone away. It didn't go away like flipping a switch it just at some point occurred to me the car felt fine.

Oh, just a bit more: The 230i xDrive is fitted with Pirelli Cinturato P7
225/40 R19 All Season Run Flat tires. My experience with run flat tires (mainly with my 3 MINIs) is they have a slightly different "feel" to them.

Different may be an understatement. In fact with my first MINI, a 2018 JCW, the run flats to put it mildly, sucked. Many MINI owners first thing ditched the run flats and put on non run flat tires. I was too cheap to throw away good tires.

But the tires on my 2nd MINI, a 2022 S, and then on my 3rd MINI, a 2023 JCW, while they were run flats they were quite a bit better.

And so far I'm happy with the tires on the 230i xDrive. They are in spite of being run flats quite acceptable.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 01:23 PM   #19
kuzdu
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG42 View Post
Are you saying you can't repair run flats because you most certainly can, the dealer wont do it but most good tire shops will patch a run flat without issue.
It can but it wont be the same. All my tires have split on the side going through potholes.

I have a plug kit in my truck with a little pump so if any nails come up its a quick fix and back on the road
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 01:45 PM   #20
BG42
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Splitting a tire at the sidewall is a bit different than puncturing a hole. You def wouldn't notice a difference in a patched run flat when done properly.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 07:21 PM   #21
lexoman
Rep

Steering wheel vibration 50% improved

Before I picked up the car yesterday I asked the service department to rotate the tires (front to rear). When I drove the car today the vibration in the steering wheel was 50-60% decreased. So much for the "harmonics" of the engine causing the vibration. The BMW representative was lying through his teeth.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 09:52 PM   #22
AlexC2er
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit009 View Post
Strange they replaced all four tires. Sounds like a tire balancing issues. Would’ve thought they would try that first. Also, what tires do you have on the car? Run flats?

I can definitely say I don’t feel a vibration. My biggest complaint with this car is I don’t feel anything from the steering. It’s so numb.
Steering is precise and numb. Very predictable but lacking in character/engagement
Appreciate 0