home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

02-11-2024, 10:17 PM   #1
pantdino
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E36 M3, 2024 M240i RWD

fresh air is warm

I know the first bit of air thru the vent system will be warm because it has been warmed by the engine heat, but even on a 50 degree day I don't get cool air (outside temperature air) until after maybe 20 minutes of driving. It feels like the heater is on just slightly.

Anyone else have this problem?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 03:37 AM   #2
Invisiblename
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantdino View Post
I know the first bit of air thru the vent system will be warm because it has been warmed by the engine heat, but even on a 50 degree day I don't get cool air (outside temperature air) until after maybe 20 minutes of driving. It feels like the heater is on just slightly.

Anyone else have this problem?
Tried reducing the setting in the Climate menu? 'Settings' / 'Temp. adjustment upper body'
      02-12-2024, 07:28 AM   #3
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Make sure the a/c is actually on and it’s not just acting as a fan.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 10:45 AM   #4
pantdino
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E36 M3, 2024 M240i RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentland View Post
Make sure the a/c is actually on and it’s not just acting as a fan.
I shouldn't need the AC on to get cool air on a 50 degree day.

I'll try setting the temp to some low value. I'm not used to a car that has it's own idea of what temp air you should have. If I just want outside air, that's what I want.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 12:33 PM   #5
Pentland
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

I'll try setting the temp to some low value. I'm not used to a car that has it's own idea of what temp air you should have. If I just want outside air, that's what I want.
Open a window then.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 01:18 PM   #6
Invisiblename
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:

That’s exactly what this control does! Allows you to set what temperature you’d like to come in through the fresh air vents.
MPR1820.50
      02-12-2024, 03:03 PM   #7
drpie
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240iX on 02/09/2022

Garage List
2022 M240iX  [0.00]
Go to the fresh air menu and slide the indicator to the left; used to be a thumbwheel between the center AC vents
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 03:28 PM   #8
Pentland
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpie View Post
Go to the fresh air menu and slide the indicator to the left; used to be a thumbwheel between the center AC vents
That’s not the same functIon as the thumbwheel performed.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 02:05 PM   #9
Evilmoretea
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 Series (G42)

On this topic what’s the best setting to use to keep the windscreen clear of condensation/mist without actually using heat or A/C

I tend to leave my climate functions on auto and about 19* C but think I’m just wasting fuel doing this.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 02:40 PM   #10
VegasG42
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M240i xDrive

I haven't even figured out how to completely use the climate system. It's either completely off or Auto. I guess I'll watch a video or spend 10 minutes to figure out all the functions
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 06:31 PM   #11
BlueLEDz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilmoretea View Post
On this topic what’s the best setting to use to keep the windscreen clear of condensation/mist without actually using heat or A/C

I tend to leave my climate functions on auto and about 19* C but think I’m just wasting fuel doing this.
Under normal conditions, turning Automatic . air recirculation has worked for me. Usually within 10 second the condensation starts to fade away.

Haven’t had much luck in the rain, but otherwise this works for me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 09:49 AM   #12
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:

Without using a combination of heat/AC and given where you live is in my limited experience subject to high humidity I would be surprised if you can keep the inside glass free of condensation.

Here in the USA in a rather high humidity area (northwest Arkansas) I set my '24 230ix climate control to automatic with A/C on and both sides set to 72F (22C). (Actually with a number of vehicles over the years with auto climate control the above settings are my default settings.) Generally the fan speed is set to one of the two lowest settings. Air distribution is set to balanced.

The A/C system is operational and incoming air is routed through the evaporator which cools the air and removes moisture. Then the cooled air is routed through the heater core to warm it up to the desired temperature.

My experience is the settings above provide for a very comfortable cabin temperature -- pretty soon after a cold start -- and keep the inside glass free of any condensation.

At the above settings the A/C system doesn't present that much of a parasitic load on the engine. And keeping the cabin at a comfortable temperature and humidity level and allowing one to drive with the windows up probably balances out.

With my 230ix I can call up sport display which shows HP and Torque. At idle one can enable auto climate and play with the various settings and see how much (or little) parasitic load arises from the A/C system.

Really since the appearance of variable displacement A/C compressors I run the A/C system in auto mode almost all the time. All I do is some mile or two from my final destination is I turn off the A/C and let the cabin ventilation fan run to dry the evaporator. If the car is put away with the evaporator wet it can develop a mold/mildew problem that stinks up the car and is very hard to get rid of. Also, the cabin air filter can develop an off odor and the only way to address this is to replace the filter.

Oh, be sure you keep the inside glass surfaces clean. Over time these surfaces develop a film (that in part comes from the out gassing the interior materials emit) and this film exacerbates the interior window surfaces fogging up.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 09:57 AM   #13
Evilmoretea
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 Series (G42)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrusher View Post
Without using a combination of heat/AC and given where you live is in my limited experience subject to high humidity I would be surprised if you can keep the inside glass free of condensation.

Here in the USA in a rather high humidity area (northwest Arkansas) I set my '24 230ix climate control to automatic with A/C on and both sides set to 72F (22C). (Actually with a number of vehicles over the years with auto climate control the above settings are my default settings.) Generally the fan speed is set to one of the two lowest settings. Air distribution is set to balanced.

The A/C system is operational and incoming air is routed through the evaporator which cools the air and removes moisture. Then the cooled air is routed through the heater core to warm it up to the desired temperature.

My experience is the settings above provide for a very comfortable cabin temperature — pretty soon after a cold start — and keep the inside glass free of any condensation.

At the above settings the A/C system doesn't present that much of a parasitic load on the engine. And keeping the cabin at a comfortable temperature and humidity level and allowing one to drive with the windows up probably balances out.

With my 230ix I can call up sport display which shows HP and Torque. At idle one can enable auto climate and play with the various settings and see how much (or little) parasitic load arises from the A/C system.

Really since the appearance of variable displacement A/C compressors I run the A/C system in auto mode almost all the time. All I do is some mile or two from [...]
That’s a really comprehensive break down of how it works.

Dumb question
What is the effect of the A/C I always just thought of A/C and the climate control being the same thing but I see you can disable A/C whilst still having climate functions (heating) on. What would the effect of that actually be?

Finally, air recirculation settings. I’ve never had an auto option before so just left it there. But what situations would you decide to use fresh air vs recirculation vs auto?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 11:58 AM   #14
Pentland
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
That’s a really comprehensive break down of how it works.

Finally, air recirculation settings. I’ve never had an auto option before so just left it there. But what situations would you decide to use fresh air vs recirculation vs auto?
The clues were always in the names - air conditioning conditions the air and climate control, well, controls the climate

Use recirculation when the outside air is foul i.e. when following an old diesel or when you are a tunnel.
I tend to keep it on auto otherwise.
Appreciate 0