BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

02-22-2024, 07:33 PM   #1
BoilerM
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 G42 M240

Rolling bolt sounds from glove box?

Before I take the car into the dealership, thought I’d see if anyone has experienced the same issue. All the sudden I am getting a sound from the glove box that sounds like a bolt is rolling around in there. It only happens when I brake hard or take a turn. I have removed everything from the glove box, side pockets, center console, and cup holder compartment. There is literally nothing in my car other than the floor mats. I’ve checked beneath the seats, the windshield cowl, and nothing. Anyone else experience this? TIA!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 07:46 PM   #2
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Look under the seats. Sound origin can be deceiving. I bought a new GTI in ‘85 that had this sound for years - then right before I sold it, I found the offending bolt, under the driver’s seat. An “extra” seat belt anchor bolt apparently. Good luck!

EDIT: Ok you checked the seats. Hmm. Keep digging, gotta be in there someplace.

Last edited by KevinC; 02-22-2024 at 07:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 08:05 PM   #3
BoilerM
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
Look under the seats. Sound origin can be deceiving. I bought a new GTI in ‘85 that had this sound for years - then right before I sold it, I found the offending bolt, under the driver’s seat. An “extra” seat belt anchor bolt apparently. Good luck!

EDIT: Ok you checked the seats. Hmm. Keep digging, gotta be in there someplace.
Yeah, I checked under the seats and did find a short, narrow piece of plastic tubing (about the width of a pencil) on passenger side and hoped that was the offender, but alas it wasn’t. Gonna send my 6yo into the car with a flashlight to see if he can find something. His eyes are better than mine and can contort his body to get better views.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 08:50 PM   #4
BoilerM
Private
United_States
Rep

Resolved! There are two plastic fasteners flanking the lower front passenger airbag panel beneath the glove box. See photos. For some reason both were not tightened so they were hanging loosely. Pushed the panel surrounding the airbag panel back into place and then tightened/turned both fasteners into place. Went for quick drive and confirmed that was the source of the sound.

Not sure why they would’ve come loose all the sudden. Perhaps the tech who was running diagnostics on the car battery and checking other electrical things last week failed to fasten them properly? Can’t think of any other reason why.

Hopefully this helps others in the future!

P.S. My son refused to check so I used a flashlight to inspect every inch of the interior/touch every plastic panel in a pitch black garage.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
wb8164128.50
TJZ67201843.50
      02-23-2024, 08:03 AM   #5
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Good find.

Just thought I'd mention some months after I bought a new 2020 M-B cargo van had the hood open and was looking things over. Spotted a mini pick screwdriver like tool but with a curved hook on the end laying in the water gutter area at the base of the windshield.

Tool was not making any noise but of course I removed it.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 03:42 PM   #6
Bandit009
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerM View Post
Resolved! There are two plastic fasteners flanking the lower front passenger airbag panel beneath the glove box. See photos. For some reason both were not tightened so they were hanging loosely. Pushed the panel surrounding the airbag panel back into place and then tightened/turned both fasteners into place. Went for quick drive and confirmed that was the source of the sound.

Not sure why they would’ve come loose all the sudden. Perhaps the tech who was running diagnostics on the car battery and checking other electrical things last week failed to fasten them properly? Can’t think of any other reason why.

Hopefully this helps others in the future!

P.S. My son refused to check so I used a flashlight to inspect every inch of the interior/touch every plastic panel in a pitch black garage.
Made in Mexico.
Appreciate 1