BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

02-24-2024, 12:49 PM   #1
ElCapitanMX
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M240

Auto Park Brake when IG OFF

Howdy,

As you might've noticed, the Park Brake engages automatically when the ignition is turned off, however for me not every time engages and the car rolls when getting out.

I haven't been able to truly decipher what other conditions are necessary to trigger the auto park brake on.

Have you been able to decipher it?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2024, 05:23 PM   #2
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Park brake only engages with auto hold selected.
If you just select park, the car may roll or rock slightly until the pawl is engaged.
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2024, 07:44 AM   #3
ElCapitanMX
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M240

I drive with AutoHold enabled at all times, it's gotta be something else that I haven't figured out.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 08:54 AM   #4
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Don't see any mention the parking brake engages automatically when the ignition is turned off. Under some circumstances the transmission can be shifted to P.

From my car's owners manual:

P is engaged automatically

Selector lever position P is automatically engaged in situations such as the following:

After switching off the drive-ready state when selector lever position R, D, or S is engaged.

After switching off the standby state when selector lever position N is engaged.

While the vehicle is at a standstill and selector lever position D, S, or R is engaged, the driver's seat belt is unfastened, the driver's door is opened and the brake is not depressed.

Before exiting the vehicle, make sure that selector lever position P is engaged and the parking brake is engaged. The vehicle could otherwise start to move.

For further information: Parking brake, see page 132.

I've underlined the sentence that mentions the vehicle can move if exiting the vehicle and the transmission is *not* in P and the parking brake is *not* applied.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 10:21 AM   #5
kuzdu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCapitanMX View Post
Howdy,

As you might've noticed, the Park Brake engages automatically when the ignition is turned off, however for me not every time engages and the car rolls when getting out.

I haven't been able to truly decipher what other conditions are necessary to trigger the auto park brake on.

Have you been able to decipher it?
same thing happens to me, i think it may be something linked to the remote start
Appreciate 1
Fronzdan308.50
      02-26-2024, 01:14 PM   #6
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrusher View Post

Before exiting the vehicle, make sure that selector lever position P is engaged and the parking brake is engaged. The vehicle could otherwise start to move.

For further information: Parking brake, see page 132.[/B]

I've underlined the sentence that mentions the vehicle can move if exiting the vehicle and the transmission is *not* in P and the parking brake is *not* applied.
That applies to if the vehicle is left in neutral or the engine is still running.
The section of interest is below and says the parking brake is released when drive ready state is off suggesting you need to manually apply the park brake should you wish when the engine is off and the car is in P.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 03:00 PM   #7
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzdu View Post
same thing happens to me, i think it may be something linked to the remote start
I think you’re right about the engagement of the parking brake related to remote start. I’ve actually noticed this too, but hadn’t thought much about it. But now that you mention it, I’ve ONLY ever seen the ebrake on mysteriously when remote starting from the app. I never use auto hold.. it’s off. And I don’t apply the parking brake intentionally.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 07:58 AM   #8
kuzdu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzdan View Post
I think you’re right about the engagement of the parking brake related to remote start. I’ve actually noticed this too, but hadn’t thought much about it. But now that you mention it, I’ve ONLY ever seen the ebrake on mysteriously when remote starting from the app. I never use auto hold.. it’s off. And I don’t apply the parking brake intentionally.
yup, maybe they do this to prevent any movement from the car when it is remote started.
Appreciate 0