BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

12-08-2022, 02:20 PM   #1
HotsauzF82
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i X-Drive

Garage List
MY BMW App issues

So after 5 weeks of ownership, and having now surpassed my break-in period I wanted to give a little outlook of my own experience so far at least.

I do overall really love this car, but a lot of little things tech wise I just can't quite figure out. Hopefully someone in here has a little insight.

1: Profile recognition. We programmed the digital key which works great, but won't automatically recognize my profile. I have to switch from guest to my own profile, and then put in my 4 digit code every time I enter the vehicle.

2: Remote start from the app works only after I've sent it on the 2nd request. Although it does work, having to do it twice is kind of a pain.

3: Adaptive Headlights. Adaptive for sure, almost too sensitive IMHO and the last 4 vehicles i've had, had adaptive lighting and none of them (2 were BMW's) were quite this sensitive. It's almost distracting as the beam from the light dances around with the slightest of input from the steering wheel. Even much more apparent with the High beam on. It almost seems like the driver side headlight is a spotlightish square that seems to be placing the beam up way too high. Maybe someone else has experienced this also, and can chime in. Maybe it is a software issue?

Appreciate any and all help and feedback!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 03:04 PM   #2
PNTDG42
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G42, F97 LCI, EBA R35, Z34

For Item 1, Does Idrive8 force you to have a driver profile? In my Idrive7: I didnt like having to constantly choose my profile. I just deleted the driver profile. I setup all my preferences for the guest mode, and saved my seat position to slot 1. If anyone ever drives my car, the only thing they are going to bother changing is the seat position, which I saved anyway. Everything works seamlessly, including the digitial key and using my phone or apple watch to unlock/start the car, and I never have to think about driver profile anymore.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 04:02 PM   #3
CaliGuy
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 M240i, 14 Maserati Ghibli

For profile... You have to place the digital key, or key card in the charging tray before you start the car for it to recognize your profile. Simply having your phone with you is not enough.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 04:27 PM   #4
HotsauzF82
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNTDG42 View Post
For Item 1, Does Idrive8 force you to have a driver profile? In my Idrive7: I didnt like having to constantly choose my profile. I just deleted the driver profile. I setup all my preferences for the guest mode, and saved my seat position to slot 1. If anyone ever drives my car, the only thing they are going to bother changing is the seat position, which I saved anyway. Everything works seamlessly, including the digitial key and using my phone or apple watch to unlock/start the car, and I never have to think about driver profile anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGuy View Post
For profile... You have to place the digital key, or key card in the charging tray before you start the car for it to recognize your profile. Simply having your phone with you is not enough.
I set up a driver profile, with my settings, and yes there is a guest option, but that defeats the purpose of having driver profiles. I always have my phone and my key (that was originally programmed using my driver ID from the BMW APP when I took delivery) with me, and it has been an issue since day 1. I have yet to go anywhere with just my phone and not my keys as I wanted the digital key for any instances where I didn't want to have my keys with me.

For my previous BMW's (F82 and G01) the key determined the driver profile and once I unlocked the vehicle either by using the fob or using the handle it would automatically select that driver profile. And I don't see why BMW would regress and not have that be an option on 2023 MY vehicles. There has to be a reason, and way to get it to work correctly.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 04:37 PM   #5
ryo-
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 MWM M240i

I don't have the digital key set up but have set my profile to my key fob. it works every time so you might have to reset it maybe. I don't think I used the myBMW app to set up the fob tho, there should be an option in the car menu so try that out.

as for the app, there was a recent OTA with the new software (07.2022) for "better response with myBMW" or something along those lines. tho, I do notice sometimes that the remote start is finicky. it will work most times, but sometimes the app will give me a failure to send to vehicle message. I chalk it up to be connection issues via LTE. even with the key fob remote start, sometimes it doesn't start the car on the first try when in range. and not to mention the range of the fob... it's pretty crap.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 05:05 PM   #6
PNTDG42
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G42, F97 LCI, EBA R35, Z34

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotsauzF82 View Post
I set up a driver profile, with my settings, and yes there is a guest option, but that defeats the purpose of having driver profiles.
It does defeat the purpose of the drivers profile but that’s only relevant if you truly utilize the feature which I am guessing many or maybe most, do not. In the guest mode it still retains all your settings so it is only an issue if your vehicle is used by someone who may change them. That’s what I wanted to make sure to mention clearly, that you don’t loose any features or settings retention. But if you actually use the drivers profile I can understand how annoying it is to have to select it every time, since mine was doing that too.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 08:51 PM   #7
Rag9000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ‘23 m240i

Make sure you have the correct fob with you. I got mine mixed up somewhere along the way and couldn’t figure out why I was never being logged in.

I also have to send the remote start twice- it seems like the vehicle has to wake up first or something. Not sure but it’s a very minor issue for me even though I use it every single day.

The adaptive headlights are weird. Never had them before but I drive to work in the dark every morning and while I notice them moving I have to say it’s also a pretty minor issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 09:26 PM   #8
Jabmwo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F22 230 Manual

About the high beams (also adaptive lights) I agree 100%. No clue why we need to light 80 ft into the sky. It is even more noticeable with fog. And I kind of dislike that the beam field is compose of blocks, like a some kind of Tetris, I preferred my old 228 w/adaptive lights....
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 10:53 PM   #9
calbears
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CS,2017 F87 LBB M2

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2017 M2  [10.00]
2018 M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
So after 5 weeks of ownership, and having now surpassed my break-in period I wanted to give a little outlook of my own experience so far at least.

I do overall really love this car, but a lot of little things tech wise I just can't quite figure out. Hopefully someone in here has a little insight.

1: Profile recognition. We programmed the digital key which works great, but won't automatically recognize my profile. I have to switch from guest to my own profile, and then put in my 4 digit code every time I enter the vehicle.
Are you sure you used the link key as a recognition for the driver profile? Check your settings and make sure the digital key card (assuming this is what you're using) is checked as a recognition. If you're using your phone, make sure that is also checked as a recognition.
Past: E90 328i, F10 535i, F80 M3 (murdered)
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 11:00 PM   #10
DriftKing860
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Passat

I also have to send remote start twice.....it is what it is I guess.....
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 11:26 PM   #11
Ajax30za
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw M240i

I also have the same issue, having to select my driver profile with password every time I get in my car. I have tried using just the digital keys (phone and “credit card” key) and also with the actual key fob, but no difference.

I am taking it to the dealer next Tuesday to check that out and also look at my battery because I am getting a replace battery message, but I have only had the car for 3 weeks..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2022, 08:46 AM   #12
ThunderM240
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftKing860 View Post
I also have to send remote start twice.....it is what it is I guess.....
I noticed that also....if I am in the house, I just go towards a window and click the Key Fob start button 3 times. That seems to work first time every time
2003 325i
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2022, 09:51 AM   #13
Invisiblename
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderM240 View Post
I noticed that also....if I am in the house, I just go towards a window and click the Key Fob start button 3 times. That seems to work first time every time
Think yourself lucky! I have to go outside into the freezing cold, unlock the car, climb in, start it up, get out, lock the car, go back indoors....

Yep, we're 'not allowed' this function in the UK (and Europe, I think)
      12-09-2022, 04:08 PM   #14
HotsauzF82
Private
Rep

Garage List
So as an update. Went to BMW today and had them reset the main key fob. the genius who helped me, did want me to have the app up and running at the same time.

It seems to have done the trick. It automatically remembers me now with the main key I took with me. Maybe a glitch I guess, but still bizarre.

With the remote start, he basically just said iDrive8 is still a learning curve even for them.

Appreciate the feedback from everyone!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2022, 05:05 PM   #15
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep
Drives: Super73

I've complained about #3 as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2022, 04:06 PM   #16
Crazy One
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G42

One thing that is a problem is the phone language.
I have a phone language set to English but I live in Poland. MyBMW app is setting up all options to the UK location. So if I want to call a service or open bmw web page it will connect me to the UK which is useless for me.
I sent them request to put in the options "Location". It was 6 months ago but still no answer.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2022, 05:57 PM   #17
allfitat55
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Garage List
2022 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
2: Remote start from the app works only after I've sent it on the 2nd request. Although it does work, having to do it twice is kind of a pain.

Appreciate any and all help and feedback!
I have ID7 car for about 6 months and remote start or other remote features have always been hit or miss with me The days you want it to work it won't which is 9 times out of ten 1st thing in the morning.

I just had the OTA update and its 15K(km's) service is due so will be testing it after that.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 07:34 AM   #18
HotsauzF82
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XC3LLR8 View Post
I've complained about #3 as well.
Have you taken your car to the dealership for this? On Friday I’m going back to the dealership and see if they can figure out if it’s normal, or if there is an issue with the angle of the beam.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 06:54 PM   #19
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep
Drives: Super73

Quote:
Have you taken your car to the dealership for this? On Friday I’m going back to the dealership and see if they can figure out if it’s normal, or if there is an issue with the angle of the beam.
No, I just bitch to myself.

Let us know what they say. I'd assume it's working as designed; it's just working a little too well if you ask me.
Appreciate 0