BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

03-16-2024, 02:32 PM   #1
jrimdog
Registered
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i

Hi I am UK based and have the G42 with tech pack (ZTK in USA) so larger discs and pads to match. Has anyone replaced the larger pads yet and if so did you go BMW or something else like EBC. I’ve done a track day and have another one coming up and know they will need doing soon but unsure how I search for the non standard size? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 08:42 PM   #2
oldbmwtech
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrimdog View Post
Hi I am UK based and have the tech pack (ZTK in USA) so larger discs and pads to match. Has anyone replaced the larger pads yet and if so did you go BMW or something else like EBC. I’ve done a track day and have another one coming up and know they will need doing soon but unsure how I search for the non standard size? Thanks.
I have used Endless brake pads for the track and they work great. What I really like about them is they are not bad on the street. Very little to no noise. Here are the sizes below, but before you buy look at the drawings to make sure you are getting the correct pads. Also I bought my first set in the US and found the same in Japan for less the half price. Bought them at Black Hawk Japan. Great company and great customer service. When I asked a question they responded to me within a day or two and very up front on how long it takes to make the pads. I was amazed how quickly I got them once shipped. It only took 2-3 days to get to my home in the US.
I don't recommend EBC, from my experience in the past about 10 years ago they chunked on the track. Not sure if they have improved there compound but I won't buy them again unless I see several experienced racers recommend them.

ENDLESS EIP302 CC40 (ME20) BRAKE PAD FRONT FOR BMW G30. I know it says for G30 but these are for the G42 with the ZTK

ENDLESS EIP301 CC40 (ME20) BRAKE PAD REAR
This is only my opinion as I'm a retired professional ASE master grease monkey technician, now instructor. Your best teacher is your last mistake. Use what I post at your own risk as you know teachers only know book knowledge.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 03:58 AM   #3
jrimdog
Registered
Rep

Hi thanks that’s really helpful. How do I find the drawings please and know what I am comparing them against? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 05:29 PM   #4
oldbmwtech
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hi thanks that’s really helpful. How do I find the drawings please and know what I am comparing them against? Thanks.
Go to the Endless website and search EIP 301 and EIP302. I think Black Hawk Japan also has a link to the drawings or email them. By the way it took about 5-6 weeks for Endless to make them and besure to get the CC40/ME20 compound. Another option is Porterfield AP1868 for the fronts and AP2220 rears. I have never used them but that was what I was going to use until I discovered Black Hawk Japan.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 08:08 PM   #5
oldbmwtech
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Here is a link to the drawings

https://www.endless-sport.co.jp/prod...t_EIP_img.html
This is only my opinion as I'm a retired professional ASE master grease monkey technician, now instructor. Your best teacher is your last mistake. Use what I post at your own risk as you know teachers only know book knowledge.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 06:23 PM   #6
nype
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i / BMW X5 35d

Any experience with the PowerStop Z23 pads?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 05:46 AM   #7
oldbmwtech
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nype View Post
Any experience with the PowerStop Z23 pads?
Never heard of them. So no.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 04:18 PM   #8
jrimdog
Registered
Rep

This is all really helpful thanks. I have emailed Black Hawk and wow they are cheaper!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 05:25 PM   #9
oldbmwtech
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
This is all really helpful thanks. I have emailed Black Hawk and wow they are cheaper!
You won't be disappointed with the Endless ME20/CC40, they are a great endurance pad with great modulation and stopping power with little to no fade. They do dust but so do the OE pads. I got about 6-8 track weekends out of these. After you learn the car disable all the nanny controls that will save your brakes plus give you much more driving experience. I just bought front and rear pads and going on the track the first weekend in April. I also bought front rotors due to heat cracks. Not bad for 8 hard track weekends. Rear rotors are fine. We are doing 5 30 min. sessions a day this past session which is a lot. Our session starts in Oct. and ends in April. Too hot here in the summer. Normal is 4 20 min. sessions. There are usually 100+ drivers per event now it is down to 60 so they are combining run groups to give us more time. I also have front camber plates which does help. This car is an awesome track car very happy with it and it drives great on the street with great fuel economy. Best of both worlds. The only issue I am having is it goes through tires, trying to figure that out but all my instructors are telling me I'm doing fine and not over driving the car. Let me know if you want any more advice been track cars for almost 20 years.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 09:01 PM   #10
oldbmwtech
Second Lieutenant
Rep

This is the BMW part numbers for the US ZTK Pads see if this is the same for you if so then the Endless part numbers will be correct.

Fronts 34-11-6-889-585

Rears 34-20-6-888-835
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 09:54 PM   #11
nype
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i / BMW X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbmwtech View Post
This is the BMW part numbers for the US ZTK Pads see if this is the same for you if so then the Endless part numbers will be correct.

Fronts 34-11-6-889-585

Rears 34-20-6-888-835
That looks correct to me. These are my notes.

Rotors (front): 374mm (348mm non-ZTK pkg)
Front Pads - Mfg Part # 34116889585

Rotors (rear): 345mm (same as non-ZTK pkg)
Rear Pad - Mfg Part # 34206888835
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 06:04 AM   #12
Spotifyclub345
Registered
Rep
Drives: Honda Civic

G42

Howdy I'm UK based and have the G42 with tech pack (ZTK in USA) so bigger plates and cushions to coordinate. Has anybody supplanted the bigger cushions yet and assuming this is the case did you go BMW or something different like EBC. I've done a track day and have another approaching up and realize they will require doing soon yet uncertain how I look for the non standard size? Much appreciated. I am also looking for entertainment site.

Last edited by Spotifyclub345; 04-25-2024 at 04:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 09:19 AM   #13
AlexC2er
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotifyclub345 View Post
Howdy I'm UK based and have the G42 with tech pack (ZTK in USA) so bigger plates and cushions to coordinate. Has anybody supplanted the bigger cushions yet and assuming this is the case did you go BMW or something different like EBC. I've done a track day and have another approaching up and realize they will require doing soon yet uncertain how I look for the non standard size? Much appreciated.
Try EBC Bluestuff. Are you looking for a track only pad or both street and track?
Appreciate 0