E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > CarPlay?

08-19-2024, 05:52 PM   #1
echo1912
Rep
Drives: 2011 328xi

Been looking around online and found some Apple car play kits that are plug and play with good reviews. Wondering if anyone has experience with them. I want to add CarPlay but don’t want to mess any of the electronics up. What what I understand it depends on what system you have. I’ve got CIC and sounds like it’s pretty easy to do.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-bremmen-...1954la02-03~a/
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2024, 07:27 PM   #2
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Yeah I installed something similar, got mine from a seller on eBay, RoadTop name. I love it, it completely changed the era of the car. I can use Waze, see Spotify with AndroidAuto love it. Have actual 2024 navigation.

I also got a firmware update from seller to use stock Bluetooth for audio. Idk if all E9X are like this but my AUX quality is so bad compared to Bluetooth, only way I could use it and be satisfied.

Yes I think it depends to although the one you linked says it fits my car, but the one I got from the seller has more ports. And mine does wireless AndroidAuto instead of just wired.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2024, 07:56 PM   #3
echo1912
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Yeah I installed something similar, got mine from a seller on eBay, RoadTop name. I love it, it completely changed the era of the car. I can use Waze, see Spotify with AndroidAuto love it. Have actual 2024 navigation.

I also got a firmware update from seller to use stock Bluetooth for audio. Idk if all E9X are like this but my AUX quality is so bad compared to Bluetooth, only way I could use it and be satisfied.

Yes I think it depends to although the one you linked says it fits my car, but the one I got from the seller has more ports. And mine does wireless AndroidAuto instead of just wired.
That’s good information. I figured that if I get it it’ll make the car completely different to drive in a good way. I think the one I listed has wireless too but can’t remember. Having the ability to screen share so I can watch movies while “stopped” is intriguing
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2024, 09:15 AM   #4
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i xDrive.

Get the Mr12Volt that uses the MOST bus for audio and not auxiliary like all the other MMIs. Thank me later.
      08-20-2024, 01:17 PM   #5
echo1912
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnxguy View Post
Get the Mr12Volt that uses the MOST bus for audio and not auxiliary like all the other MMIs. Thank me later.
Thank you. I assume that way the audio is better. I’ve seen that complaint from some people with other systems
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2024, 03:41 AM   #6
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Yes mr12volt is the way to go if you value sound quality .
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2024, 02:28 AM   #7
gaze2
Private
Rep
Drives: E91 325i 6MT 2005

Pretty much all of the units nowadays have good sound, sound from aux directly from phone and sound from unit with wireless android auto is the same for me
I would go with an aliexpress linux head unit, everything works, and you get a high res touch screen, as opposed to mr12volt using your oem screen, and is significantly cheaper, mine was like $150
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2024, 09:31 AM   #8
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

does mr12volt increase sound quality ?

I'm surprised how the Individual CIC sound system is very muffled, lack of highs and lows. all in medium .

I thought it was a setting, but read few threads and indeed, individual does not worth it .

2- question 2, where did you guys buy this device? any price drop anyone already noticed, like around blackfriday? 650$ cad, this is not cheap, while the AUX one are around 230$ cad.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2024, 10:04 AM   #9
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

No but it doesn't degrade it.
Appreciate 1
oVeRdOsE.3382.50
      08-27-2024, 10:05 AM   #10
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by oVeRdOsE. View Post

I'm surprised how the Individual CIC sound system is very muffled, lack of highs and lows. all in medium .

I thought it was a setting, but read few threads and indeed, individual does not worth it .

2- question 2, where did you guys buy this device? any price drop anyone already noticed, like around blackfriday? 650$ cad, this is not cheap, while the AUX one are around 230$ cad.
Hey yeah I also have the individual audio package on my 335is and yeah the AUX is soooo bad. Like even trying my phone alone without the CarPlay module, with a cable it was so bad. Bluetooth on the other hand is amazing, but I'm also not a crazy audiophile.

For the module, mine was 240$ USD from eBay RoadTop. And the seller gave me the firmware update for the using the stock Bluetooth audio with the system.
Appreciate 1
oVeRdOsE.3382.50
      08-27-2024, 12:01 PM   #11
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
No but it doesn't degrade it.
ok tks.

Some times they do on some cars. Like my audi, I have the Bose expensive option and sound quality was not better than my old base maxima.

I got a xtrons unit, and damn the sound was way better, and a lot of people reported the same.

Now, for E90s, some units, like roadtop, even if using the AUX, the quality was better since the audio process was different.

Sound quality is very subjective, but Individual on FM radio or USB is very weak, at least for the cost of this option. Wonder is the audio process and equilizer are better on mr12volts of even aliexpress one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Hey yeah I also have the individual audio package on my 335is and yeah the AUX is soooo bad. Like even trying my phone alone without the CarPlay module, with a cable it was so bad. Bluetooth on the other hand is amazing, but I'm also not a crazy audiophile.

For the module, mine was 240$ USD from eBay RoadTop. And the seller gave me the firmware update for the using the stock Bluetooth audio with the system.

im looking for roadtop too. since no customs nor shipping rate, and makes it 3x cheaper than mr12volts. (doing about 1000km/y with my E91, dont feel like to spend that much)

you were satisfied with this unit ?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2024, 01:41 PM   #12
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

Mr 12volt gives the same quality as the CD player .
The sound system you have will determine how good the sound it
and BMW sound system's pretty much suck , but base and Hi Fi really suck .

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1002984

The above is and extensive thread on what some people did to try to get the best
sourced sound quality. General conclusions where a DAC might help but it's not
as good as digital Input that doesn't have to go through multiple and cheap digital to analog
then digital to analog again conversions.

Last edited by ctuna; 08-28-2024 at 01:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2024, 02:16 PM   #13
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Mr 12volt gives the same quality as the CD player .
The sound system you have will determine how good the sound it
and BMW sound system's pretty much suck , but base and Hi Fi really suck .

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1002984

The above is and extensive thread on what some people did to try to get the best
sourced sound quality. General conclusions where a DAC might help but it's not
as good as digital Input that doesn't have to go through multiple and cheap digital to analog
then digital to analog again conversions.
very surprised how the top option sound is bad, some client must have complain about this back in the days !

My xtrons on my audi is a complete headunit swap, so makes sense the sound processing change, while on the E90s it's a addon over the headunit.

The most annoying behavior, is the lack of high on low volume, and when you crank it, the highs are way to 'high'.

You know on the morning you listen the talkshows, so I need to boost the treble, back home I want to crank some beat, so I need to turn down the treble...
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2024, 02:39 PM   #14
M3_V8_PWR
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3

Have one for sale if interested.

Was pulled out of a 135i CIC 4pin LVDS

$120.00 plus shipping
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
oVeRdOsE.3382.50
      08-30-2024, 09:01 PM   #15
Hoody007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ZMZ LCI | 850i/6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oVeRdOsE. View Post

I found the Mr12Volt has a better DAC than the combox (as I care about audio quality I use Apple Music Lossless off my iPhone, used to use it wired via USB).

The combox has a notable bump in the 7K frequency which makes some music harsh - and a low bump as well around 100hz.

The Mr12Volt system is quite clear and flat. I have Individual Audio components run off of a PP82DSP amp by Audiotec Fischer.

Two downsides - sometimes the system boots up before the CIC and causes it to restart. And I haven’t figured out a way to get the phone button on the steering wheel to work.
Appreciate 1
oVeRdOsE.3382.50
      09-01-2024, 04:58 AM   #16
drekly
Registered
Rep
Drives: E91 2011 318d M Sport Touring

So, as a new E91 owner with a CIC-MID system - is there a version that covers all of these:

A) Doesn't Lag.
B) Doesn't degrade sound.
C) Replaces the small screen I have.
D) Doesn't cost the world.

Because at the moment it seems like it's a gamble on aliexpress and I'm not wasting the money.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2024, 03:30 PM   #17
Captain Buumer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325D

Anything that uses AUX degrades sound and that means 99% of aliexpress units.

Very few have optical conversions sold separate units but compatible.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2024, 04:26 PM   #18
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

A few upgrade to the OEM NBT and NBT evo . See wikipedia idrive search.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2024, 09:57 PM   #19
Raido79
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 328xi, E30 320i

I bought RoadTop about a month ago for my E91. Installation was a pain since it's hard to fit all the wires that come with the kit. Also installation manual wasn't as clear as i was hoping but YT tutorials helped there. But the device and system itself is very fast and smooth between the apps. Also what i read before buying it is that if your car has already BT audio then you don't need to connect an AUX for audio since it will use car's BT for that.
Only thing i've noticed though is that once my car windows went down itself by and inch and yesterday when entering the car the moonroof cover just slid back by itself. So i might take it out at some point to double check if i damaged any wires etc that might cause those anomalies
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2024, 09:38 AM   #20
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raido79 View Post
I bought RoadTop about a month ago for my E91. Installation was a pain since it's hard to fit all the wires that come with the kit. Also installation manual wasn't as clear as i was hoping but YT tutorials helped there. But the device and system itself is very fast and smooth between the apps. Also what i read before buying it is that if your car has already BT audio then you don't need to connect an AUX for audio since it will use car's BT for that.
Only thing i've noticed though is that once my car windows went down itself by and inch and yesterday when entering the car the moonroof cover just slid back by itself. So i might take it out at some point to double check if i damaged any wires etc that might cause those anomalies
thank for the review.

Still didnt bought it. I think Ill go with road top, mr12volts is more than 3x the price, and I use the E91 around 2000km/y...

Do you know if Android Auto is wireless ?

Some device has only Carplay wireless and android auto wired...
Appreciate 0