BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

03-09-2024, 06:53 AM   #1
kageyama999
Rep
Drives: G42 2022

left parking lights on all night. am I okay??

Hello friends,

Quick question just to alleviate my worries - also FYI I have a very limited understanding of electricity and lighting.

I accidentally left my park lights on all night. the car was still locked but i just left the park lights on

thats the button that keeps the cool looking red tube part of your rear light on (image below)

Car turned on as normal and everything was good. I don't want that light to become dimmer. I would like to burn as bright as a shooting star in the midnight sky

am i Okay??

Thanks all.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 07:07 AM   #2
Rdurty2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

You are fine. It’s an LED.
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2024, 07:33 AM   #3
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

That is not a picture of your car correct? If it is, how do you have ROW taillights in the USA?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 09:23 AM   #4
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kageyama999 View Post
Hello friends,

Quick question just to alleviate my worries - also FYI I have a very limited understanding of electricity and lighting.

I accidentally left my park lights on all night. the car was still locked but i just left the park lights on

thats the button that keeps the cool looking red tube part of your rear light on (image below)

Car turned on as normal and everything was good. I don't want that light to become dimmer. I would like to burn as bright as a shooting star in the midnight sky

am i Okay??

Thanks all.
I'd say ok provided you were able to start the engine and drive the car for some time to replenish the battery. To replenish the battery from what it lost with the parking lights on and of course what it lost in starting the engine.

Someone I know did something similar with a new X4 M40i but didn't realize what was going on until the vehicle had sat for a few days to the point the engine wouldn't start. Emergency road side service jump started the vehicle.

And some years ago with a new VW Golf TDi I noticed the engine was a bit slow to crank. But there were no other symptoms. Then one night walking up to the car I noticed a bit of light from inside the car. Someone -- a passenger I had in the car some days before -- had turned on one of the rear passenger seat courtesy lights and left it on.

Fortunately it was not a big electrical load and I caught it in time.

I immediately turned it off and since I was going out in the car anyhow once on the road I made sure to drive the car some extra time to top up the battery.
Appreciate 0