E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Rant - Video added

04-27-2015, 05:29 AM   #1
half Colin
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 330D M Sport

Rant - Video added

Just a rant to get it off my chest.

People that think because they put their indicator on they have the right of way and can just pull out in front of you - ah!!!

Oh, and lorries that drive at 60mph through the M1 50mph restricted area! I caught one on my dashcam getting pissed off with me driving at 50 so he pulled into the outside lane and overtook me! I might just send the video in to the men in blue.

UPDATED

Here's the video from my dashcam. The separate file of GPS data records me travelling at 52mph. Make your own minds up as to the speed of the lorry.

Last edited by half Colin; 04-27-2015 at 03:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 05:55 AM   #2
The Poloman
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D SE

I don't get how the trucks and the speeding cars get away with it, they must know they will get points for speeding? Maybe they know something the rest of us don't or a lot of people are getting points! Not worth the risk in my eyes.
Is very intimidating when you are sat at 50 and you have trucks right behind you expecting you to speed up.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 06:46 AM   #3
Jim1985
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 335d

Thats why they change lanes. Allegedly the cameras arent linked.

If you go through 'lane 1 camera 1' and then go through 'lane 1 camera 2' too soon, you get fined. If you go through 'lane 1 camera 1' and then change lanes and go through 'lane 2 camera 2', the camera from lane 1 is still waiting for you and presumes you've left the road, and the camera for lane 2 presumes you've joined after it's first camera, which you have. Thus the circle is incomplete!

Thats my understanding anyway.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 06:50 AM   #4
Waspo
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: E90 330i M Sport, Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poloman View Post
I don't get how the trucks and the speeding cars get away with it, they must know they will get points for speeding? Maybe they know something the rest of us don't or a lot of people are getting points! Not worth the risk in my eyes.
Is very intimidating when you are sat at 50 and you have trucks right behind you expecting you to speed up.
Same here poloman...... I set my cruise control to 53Mph in these 50 zones on the motorways, and 53 on the clock gives me almost spot on 50Mph in real speed (GPS Speed).

I see LOADS of cars, vans and in particular Lorries go past me at say 5 to 10Mph. They must know they are in a average speed zone, they are professional drivers. OK the odd Numpty car driver may still think each camera is a separate speeding camera and slow down for each one then speed up again, But Lorries and van drivers....Come on!!

So what do they know that we don't? or aren't they ar$ed about a ticket and their licence????????????????
      04-27-2015, 07:54 AM   #5
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
I saw a video recently where a fucking retarded thundercunt driving a caravan pushed in front of a van. Fucking morons, I hope they get buttfucked for their stupid driving skills.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 08:10 AM   #6
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspo View Post
Same here poloman...... I set my cruise control to 53Mph in these 50 zones on the motorways, and 53 on the clock gives me almost spot on 50Mph in real speed (GPS Speed).
You're allowing too much margin.

Limits are set in "real speed" of course, so a 50 limit will be at least 55-57 GPS mph (ACPO 10%+2). The average zones will be set higher to allow for people changing lanes etc which could shorten the distance. So you could set your cruise at 60 and most likely be ok.

I go for cruise 56 though just in case. At 56 you'll be overtaking 98% of the cars in an average 50 limit.

Yes, sometime someone just flies past, but they probably get nabbed.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 08:12 AM   #7
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1985 View Post
Thats why they change lanes. Allegedly the cameras arent linked.

If you go through 'lane 1 camera 1' and then go through 'lane 1 camera 2' too soon, you get fined. If you go through 'lane 1 camera 1' and then change lanes and go through 'lane 2 camera 2', the camera from lane 1 is still waiting for you and presumes you've left the road, and the camera for lane 2 presumes you've joined after it's first camera, which you have. Thus the circle is incomplete!

Thats my understanding anyway.
Of course they are linked, they all go to one computer that watches all the cameras simultaneously.

The camera was the weakpoint in old systems so you needed one per lane to get a good resolution.

But the new HADECS3 system uses one small (grey) camera to watch 4 lanes of motorway.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 08:16 AM   #8
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by half Colin View Post
J
Oh, and lorries that drive at 60mph through the M1 50mph restricted area! :
They can't. HGVs are restricted to 56mph / 90kph by EU law.

Unless it's downhill with a heavy load they can't exceed 56.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 08:18 AM   #9
Waspo
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post

Limits are set in "real speed" of course, so a 50 limit will be at least 55-57 GPS mph (ACPO 10%+2), which means you could set your cruise at 60 and most likely be ok.

I go for cruise 56 though just in case. At 56 you'll be overtaking 98% of the cars in an average 50 limit.

I have the V = Speed showing in my speedo, think this is true speed setting, and i also have Angel Gem + GPS speed detector showing GPS speed, and i set my cruise to show 50 on these devices (They both show same at 4Mph slower than clock speedo /Cruise control setting.

I know i could go a few more Mph over that, but hey whats the point in taking it to the Absolute maximum and risk getting it wrong or the Law really being an Ar$e!

I know that i go through the average at around 49Mph which with the Angel gem Plus speed detector shows you your true average speed through one of multi cameras, which is VERY handy to know!

It still amazes me how many 'professional' drivers still go past me at what must be 60+

Heyho, not my ticket!!
      04-27-2015, 08:22 AM   #10
half Colin
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Limits are set in "real speed" of course, so a 50 limit will be at least 55-57 GPS mph (ACPO 10%+2). The average zones will be set higher to allow for people changing lanes etc which could shorten the distance. So you could set your cruise at 60 and most likely be ok.

Be careful, my wife was caught and prosecuted for doing 57 in a 50 average speed zone. She's also the only person I've heard of that's been prosecuted by those average speed cameras.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 08:30 AM   #11
doughboy
Major General
Rep

She must have been doing over 60 on the clock right through to get an average 57. But that shows they are setting it at the 57 limit.

"Average" is a funny statistic, it's very hard to judge. But at least you can slow down if you think you've overcooked it. Where as the spot cameras show no mercy. As I know getting caught at 46 in a 40 variable limit (slowing from 70 to meet the 40 gantry, but mis-timed it)

My Tomtom shows your actual average speed in these zones, it is very hard to get it over 50, even doing bursts of 60+, once you catch somebody up and slow down the average speed barely moves.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 08:36 AM   #12
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspo View Post
I have the V = Speed showing in my speedo, think this is true speed setting, and i also have Angel Gem + GPS speed detector showing GPS speed, and i set my cruise to show 50 on these devices (They both show same at 4Mph slower than clock speedo /Cruise control setting.
Any wheel / gearbox based speedo, calibrated or otherwise, will suffer with tyre wear and inflation errors.

You can tell the difference when you have new tyres fitted the GPS to speed error is much less, say 3mph at 60.

But with worn tyres it will double the error.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 11:26 AM   #13
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 GC Turbos, FBO, 335i DCT

I usually set mine to 55 or 56 and I've been ok so far.
I've set non corrected V= on the speedo now and cruise control etc always seem to be 3mph off true speed.

The original cameras were fooled by lane changing but the new ones are supposed to be updated for that.

I too see people going at 60+ and I often wonder why.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 11:37 AM   #14
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

If you're on Fast lane , even tho the speed is 50 ,
pleAse move aside. i hate people sticking to 49 on the fast lane and blocking everyone else who might wish to drive faster.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 01:52 PM   #15
E92Dan
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330d

Quote:
They can't. HGVs are restricted to 56mph / 90kph by EU law.

Unless it's downhill with a heavy load they can't exceed 56.
This is true as I've driven a few, some are set even lower!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 02:05 PM   #16
Waspo
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Any wheel / gearbox based speedo, calibrated or otherwise, will suffer with tyre wear and inflation errors.

You can tell the difference when you have new tyres fitted the GPS to speed error is much less, say 3mph at 60.

It match's my GPS spot on so i am satisfied it is a true a speed i am going to get, but thats why i always set low rather than push the upper limit!
      04-27-2015, 02:19 PM   #17
Dan-danGT
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M-Sport

Also if a truck is going in the outside lane then your obviously in there way! So move over, sounds to me like your a lane hog! These professional drivers like myself have to drive for 8-10hours a day and do a regular 15 shift a day. So they need to keep moving once there times up they are stopping out or mis. There drop/collectIon.

The other thing that gets on my nerves, is if I'm in the outside lane doing say 52 on cruise I will have past a few cars in the middle lane, then a car in the middle lane will move to the left So the person who has not moved to overtake speeds up! That properly gets on my nerves!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 02:52 PM   #18
MrPogle
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 550i M-Sport LCI

Quote:

Surely not that much. A new tyre vs a worn-out one is about 12mm difference on a wheel diameter of 650ish. Less than 2 percent.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 12:45 AM   #19
Dan-danGT
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M-Sport

Shame we can't see all that video, I bet you have been in the middle lane and not moved into the n/s lane hence why the truck overtook you. See it all the time, I would have done the same if that's the case.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 01:23 AM   #20
Rudz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335D xDrive Shadow Edition

I don't see what wrong the truck driver did here? why are you on the middle lane ?
      04-28-2015, 01:25 AM   #21
half Colin
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-danGT View Post
Shame we can't see all that video, I bet you have been in the middle lane and not moved into the n/s lane hence why the truck overtook you. See it all the time, I would have done the same if that's the case.
No, you're wrong I had pulled out because I'm one of the few that do keep over to the left. Plus if the inside lane was free he would have passed on the inside. Nothing was gained because the next video just shows him 100m ahead in traffic and me passing him again at with my cruise control still on 52.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 06:32 AM   #22
Waspo
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudz View Post
I don't see what wrong the truck driver did here? why are you on the middle lane ?
Rudz, you smoking something here?

Why was he in the middle lane?.....Clearly overtaking the slower lorry on the inside

Can't see what the over-taking was doing wrong??.......If Op was doing 52 GPS speed, the overtaking lorry was overtaking at say 10 MPH over that = 62MPH in a 50 zone???????

Still having trouble understanding OP's post????? if so I give up