BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

11-09-2023, 07:10 AM   #1
npcars
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4Cx / X3 M40i

Hi All,
Wondering if any folks here have been able to compare the F82 M4 CS to the G87 M2.

Long story short, I had a CS and switched over to an M340x at lease end. I don’t like it. Big, top heavy, creaky, etc.

Thinking about swapping it out for a new M2, but I’m curious to know how it’ll stack up against the CS (better/equal/not as good). Of course, dealers don’t have any demos (that I know of in Texas) so I’m relying on you all.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 10:27 AM   #2
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by npcars View Post
Hi All,
Wondering if any folks here have been able to compare the F87 M4 CS to the G87 M2.

Long story short, I had a CS and switched over to an M340x at lease end. I don’t like it. Big, top heavy, creaky, etc.

Thinking about swapping it out for a new M2, but I’m curious to know how it’ll stack up against the CS (better/equal/not as good). Of course, dealers don’t have any demos (that I know of in Texas) so I’m relying on you all.

Thanks in advance!
I have experience with a F80 ZCP and of course my F87C but no direct CS experience. What specifically are you looking for? Like what's faster on a track? What's better on the street? What is more luxurious, as in, for $75K price should it be better than other cars?
Everyone is different, so starting with what exactly you're asking, we should hopefully give you a more clear answer based on experience.
      11-09-2023, 11:07 AM   #3
azlightning213
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition X-Drive

Can't talk about a F87 M4 CS, but I came from a 2021 M340i to the G87 M2 and it's been night and day difference. G87, while heavy, feels agile and snappy - especially against the M340i. Major top end power compared to the M340i (both cars have/had stock engine) - but similar peppiness off the line (B58 is no slouch). Overall turn-in, handling, and chassis feel is way different compared to the M340i, as expected from a true M car. Also, you will be running to get gas WAY more than you were in the M340i - that thing was amazing for fuel efficiency. Also, the M2 is surprisingly spacious for what it is. I'm 5'10 220lbs (bodybuilder) and I can fit in the back row surprisingly lol. Good trunk space too. All in all, I don't regret a single thing about going from the M340i to the M2. Love this car
Appreciate 4
ronin130131000.50
aerobod3707.50
NewToM367.00
      11-09-2023, 07:35 PM   #4
npcars
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep View Post
I have experience with a F80 ZCP and of course my F87C but no direct CS experience. What specifically are you looking for? Like what's faster on a track? What's better on the street? What is more luxurious, as in, for $75K price should it be better than other cars?
Everyone is different, so starting with what exactly you're asking, we should hopefully give you a more clear answer based on experience.
Thanks for nudging me on specificity.
The easiest way I can put it is: I always felt in full control in the CS and I feel like a passenger in the M340.
The CS steering was clinical. Body control was near telepathic. I always knew what to expect whether it was corner entry, mid turn body roll (or lack thereof), coming out from a corner a little too hot and knowing when to expect the grip to kick in and then feather the throttle to straighten out & build the speed. The brakes. Good lord the brakes! I always had margin to brake even harder if needed.
The M340 gives me no confidence going into corners (too much weight on what feel like weak brakes), feels floaty and top heavy mid corner, and the only reason it darts out of corners is thanks to the xDrive.

Hopefully this helps!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 07:42 PM   #5
npcars
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by azlightning213 View Post
Can't talk about a F87 M4 CS, but I came from a 2021 M340i to the G87 M2 and it's been night and day difference. G87, while heavy, feels agile and snappy - especially against the M340i. Major top end power compared to the M340i (both cars have/had stock engine) - but similar peppiness off the line (B58 is no slouch). Overall turn-in, handling, and chassis feel is way different compared to the M340i, as expected from a true M car. Also, you will be running to get gas WAY more than you were in the M340i - that thing was amazing for fuel efficiency. Also, the M2 is surprisingly spacious for what it is. I'm 5'10 220lbs (bodybuilder) and I can fit in the back row surprisingly lol. Good trunk space too. All in all, I don't regret a single thing about going from the M340i to the M2. Love this car
Thanks for this! This is a welcome comparison as well!
Yes the B58 is no slouch and can be peppy at times. However I don’t often push it because 1) I don’t trust the brakes much and 2) if I’m not in a straight line, I don’t feel comfortable pushing the lateral limits.

Funny you mention gas. Everyone raves about the B58 fuel economy…and I’m not too impressed. Averaging 23mpg. I commute 30 miles round trip 3x a week in stop and go traffic about 80% of that time. I expected better. Averaged 20mpg in the CS…granted, my commute wasn’t that big back then as I was full remote. BUT I would push the car every time I drove it! No light foot- all “show me what you got baby!” What are you averaging in the G87?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 07:59 PM   #6
rippernash
'Sirius' - 2024 G87 M2 in Black Sapphire
Rep
Drives: E90 328i, 2024 G87 M2

Drove my friends M340i before buying my current G87 M2. The difference is day and night as the other commenter also mentioned. The M2 can start pulling hard with the slightest touch of the pedal no matter the gear (8 speed Auto). It's a delight to swap lanes and press the pedals to overtake. The balance is spot on, I can't sense any roll in the car and it leans in nicely into sharp corners. The ride is a bit stiffer for sure and the tyre width isn't helping that but I still use mine as a daily. Canyon carving is so easy!
Appreciate 2
      11-10-2023, 08:30 PM   #7
npcars
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippernash View Post
Drove my friends M340i before buying my current G87 M2. The difference is day and night as the other commenter also mentioned. The M2 can start pulling hard with the slightest touch of the pedal no matter the gear (8 speed Auto). It's a delight to swap lanes and press the pedals to overtake. The balance is spot on, I can't sense any roll in the car and it leans in nicely into sharp corners. The ride is a bit stiffer for sure and the tyre width isn't helping that but I still use mine as a daily. Canyon carving is so easy!
Thank you!!!
This is making me feel better.
Going to check one out in person tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2023, 09:31 AM   #8
azlightning213
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition X-Drive

Let us know how everything turns out! A feel a lot of folks are probably cross-shopping / upgrading from M340i to M2 given relative similarly in price. Both are amazing cars for the price-to-performance ratio, but I wanted a way sportier feel and more power so the M2 was perfect
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2023, 10:36 AM   #9
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I owned an OG F87, and have driven M2Cs and M2CSs several times. My OG was modified and amazing. The C was fine, but the CS was just about perfect right out of the box, but it was limited production.

If I had a CS, I might not get a G87.

But .... after 3 months of G87 ownership, I can say that the car is a different kind of animal. And it IS an animal.

3 things I'd say are a huge improvement:

--The engine. Wow. It's amazing in stock form. If you have any doubts, watch the Jason Cammisa/Hagerty Drag Race posted yesterday where it smoked everything.
Can't wait to add a Racechip or BM3.

--Handling. This car STICKS to the road, with none of the rear axle hop that was an F87 issue. It is planted and feels solid. It might be 200 lbs heavier, but it doesn't feel like it in any way, shape or form. And lighter wheels and a lithium battery are easy mods.

--Tech. From the track settings to 10 way traction adjustments, this is a huge step up. Steering is improved, and the 6MT is pretty good!

What I don't like:

-- Not enough hard buttons. Difficult to make many changes without taking your eyes off the road. And some of the tactile electronic buttons (like the hazard "button") don't respond, or turn on and then don't respond when you try to turn them off.

The G87 is amazing! Don't have any doubts about that.

Attached Images

Last edited by M2PDX; 11-11-2023 at 10:46 AM..
Appreciate 5
      11-12-2023, 08:08 PM   #10
npcars
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2PDX View Post
—Handling. This car STICKS to the road, with none of the rear axle hop that was an F87 issue. It is planted and feels solid. It might be 200 lbs heavier, but it doesn't feel like it in any way, shape or form. And lighter wheels and a lithium battery are easy mods.
It’s obvious you know what you’re talking about! The F87 definitely had real axle hop, even in CS trim. I heard non CS was even more pronounced.

As for the buttons or lack thereof…I hear ya. ID8 is bordering on being dangerous on the road. There are too many functions to create any time of muscle memory or anything of the sort. BUT, it’s the card we’ve been dealt with newer BMWs.

I’m still hunting.
Almost pinned down a Brooklyn Gray one in the DFW area…but they weren’t playing any type of ball with my trade in value. I want the car. Badly. But I’m also not about to go into a dark alley with my pants down for it….
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2023, 12:35 AM   #11
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
It’s obvious you know what you’re talking about! The F87 definitely had real axle hop, even in CS trim. I heard non CS was even more pronounced.

As for the buttons or lack thereof…I hear ya. ID8 is bordering on being dangerous on the road. There are too many functions to create any time of muscle memory or anything of the sort. BUT, it’s the card we’ve been dealt with newer BMWs.

I’m still hunting.
Almost pinned down a Brooklyn Gray one in the DFW area…but they weren’t playing any type of ball with my trade in value. I want the car. Badly. But I’m also not about to go into a dark alley with my pants down for it….
It'll be worth it!

The CS had the benefit of adaptive suspension. Even so, I still ran into rear suspension hop (and traction control intrusion) on some high speed, off camber bumpy corners.

Haven't had any of those issues on the G87!
Appreciate 1
npcars47.50
      11-13-2023, 02:04 AM   #12
Beenz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2CS

Quote:
Hi All,
Wondering if any folks here have been able to compare the F87 M4 CS to the G87 M2.
I don’t want to sound pedantic but there is a typo in this statement but it’s not super clear which bit. It’s meant to be either:
F82 M4 CS or
F87 M2 CS

By the sounds of it you had the F82 M4 CS? Which is of course perfectly fine but I think some people are getting confused whether you previously had an M4 or M2, and they are different beasts to be comparing against.

They are all good of course 😁

Regards
Appreciate 1
npcars47.50
      11-13-2023, 08:25 PM   #13
npcars
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenz View Post
I don’t want to sound pedantic but there is a typo in this statement but it’s not super clear which bit. It’s meant to be either:
F82 M4 CS or
F87 M2 CS

By the sounds of it you had the F82 M4 CS? Which is of course perfectly fine but I think some people are getting confused whether you previously had an M4 or M2, and they are different beasts to be comparing against.

They are all good of course 😁

Regards
Great catch and not pedantic at all!

Yes, you’re correct, I had an F82 M4 CS.

I’m looking to get into a G87 M2.

Original post fixed.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 10:35 PM   #14
Three Pedal Steve
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 coupe' 6mt

Garage List
Are there any rumors of G87 M2 CS? Maybe towards the end of the G87 run?

memories: '71 2002 (new), '72 Bavaria, '74 2002tii, '00 540i Sport
Appreciate 0