11-11-2023, 02:13 PM   #1
sammyj
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87

M performance steering wheel questions

Hey folks,
About to enter production (!!!!!) so was thinking about a few port installed accs. M steering is high on my list, but curious if the juice is worth the squeeze on this one. A few questions for those that have gone down this route::
  1. Does it work with manual? The website seemed to allude to this being only paddle shifter compatible. I’m probably reading this wrong, but wanted to double check.
  2. Do you lose heated?
  3. Is the carbon fiber “frozen”? I believe that the stock comes with glossy to match the rest of the trim, so this may look strange?
  4. This might be a long shot, but does it do anything for steering feel?

Thanks!
      11-11-2023, 03:45 PM   #2
Squidget
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87, 2011 E90 335i

It works with the manual, there are covers that are put on the back side when there are no paddles.

The official M wheel is just as fat and squishy as the stock wheel so will not improve feel at all. BMW does not believe in thin wheels, which could help.

I don't know the answers to the other questions. (A BMW parts guy let me handle the wheel at the counter, and I decided not to install it.)
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2023, 05:41 PM   #3
sclui56
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E86, IS-F, G42, G87

I have that on my F87 6MT but decided to skip this for the G87, it felt good with the texture, BUT the blue piece on my sample, as well as quite a few I have seen, simply does not hold up well - color coming off with mild cleaning. I don't mind the loss of heated steering, but don't think I will go for it this time.

BTW, mine was getting worse early on, like in year 2, so it's not because of the SoCal sun.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2023, 05:52 PM   #4
xxyion
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition xDrive

I ordered it with mine but my car isn’t here yet so I can’t say, but for me I imagine it will be nicer to drive with. I personally really like alcantara steering wheels and the fact that this one has both leather and alcantara is a nice touch imo. I live in California so there’s no use for heated steering wheels for me so I don’t feel the loss. I’m looking forward to having it. I also chose to get the M Performance suspension installed port side.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2023, 07:01 PM   #5
sclui56
Private First Class
Rep

xxyion You will like the feel, I know I do. Just can't get over the quality of the blue dye though. If/when I decide to swap later, it would be a simple job at least.

OTOH, I am more keen in finding a solution for the 6MT knob for the G.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2023, 01:17 AM   #6
xxyion
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclui56 View Post
xxyion You will like the feel, I know I do. Just can't get over the quality of the blue dye though. If/when I decide to swap later, it would be a simple job at least.

OTOH, I am more keen in finding a solution for the 6MT knob for the G.
Seems so weird they would dye the racing stripe rather than it be a leather piece stitched in, oh well. Luckily I almost never put my hand in the top middle so I expect it to last.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2023, 07:15 AM   #7
M_Power Rob
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Alcantara is nice when new but with constant handling (on a steering wheel) and the natural body oils in your hands especially on a daily dtiver, a hard pass.

If you feel the need for an "improvement" steering wheel, I suggest also checking out aftermarket versions.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2023, 07:24 AM   #8
Sculpin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 8Y RS3

I had the alcantara wheel in my E90 M3 and loved it. Wanted one for the G87 but I personally don’t like that this one has leather on the top and bottom so I skipped it.

Someone else here on the forum made me aware of the M3 CS wheel and it’s exactly what I was looking for so I’ll be ordering one of those very soon. It is not heated but here in Florida that doesn’t matter.

https://paddleshifterz.com/product/o...l-32307874035/
1995 E36 M3 (Retired)
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2023, 07:29 AM   #9
40 Cylinders
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 535d M-Sport

I did order the M-Performace wheel and agree the info was vague regarding use with a manual.. but my M2 came in 14 days ago and the wheel was port installed... looks and feels good to me.. CF is gloss and matches the rest of the interior CF.. no heat... no idea about the 12 o'clock blue strip being an issue.. all leather is dyed.. why would one use a cleaned strong enough to strip your color ?
Feel is subjective...I like this wheel compared to Porsche wheels which seem a touch thinner..
Enjoy your M2....
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2023, 07:53 AM   #10
sammyj
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Cylinders View Post
I did order the M-Performace wheel and agree the info was vague regarding use with a manual.. but my M2 came in 14 days ago and the wheel was port installed... looks and feels good to me.. CF is gloss and matches the rest of the interior CF.. no heat... no idea about the 12 o'clock blue strip being an issue.. all leather is dyed.. why would one use a cleaned strong enough to strip your color ?
Feel is subjective...I like this wheel compared to Porsche wheels which seem a touch thinner..
Enjoy your M2....

Any chance you could post a pic? Would love to see it!!

Congrats on the new addition to the family
      11-12-2023, 06:22 PM   #11
sclui56
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Cylinders View Post
Enjoy your M2....
Wasn't any strong cleaner, it didn't take much even with mild cleaning. It was annoying to see when it first happened, but I am used to it. Just don't need a repeat. I have seen quite a few with similar issues, hope yours will hold up well.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2023, 07:53 PM   #12
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Alcantara should hold up fairly well, if maintained to the manufacturer’s instructions: https://www.alcantara.com/cleaning-m...y%20(overnight).
Appreciate 0