home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

11-03-2023, 05:45 PM   #1
Bandit009
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive

Windhshield Residue

On the inside of my windshield there’s like a “sheen”. I tried cleaning and it doesn’t come off. Nothing shows up on the cloth when I clean it. It’s definitely there though. It goes away for a second then reappears.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2023, 05:53 PM   #2
Littlecoupe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

Do you have HUD? Back in the day, the inside of the windshield was coated with something to make it reflect the HUD better, if that's still a thing.

I could otherwise just be normal grime. I personally use isopropyl alcohol to wipe the windshield first, which cleans off all the grime, then a good windshield cleaning spray with a waffle weave cleaning cloth. Seems to work the best.
Appreciate 2
PP3121363.50
      11-03-2023, 06:10 PM   #3
Bandit009
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlecoupe View Post
Do you have HUD? Back in the day, the inside of the windshield was coated with something to make it reflect the HUD better, if that's still a thing.

I could otherwise just be normal grime. I personally use isopropyl alcohol to wipe the windshield first, which cleans off all the grime, then a good windshield cleaning spray with a waffle weave cleaning cloth. Seems to work the best.
Yes have HUD. 🤔
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2023, 02:51 AM   #4
Invisiblename
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit009 View Post
On the inside of my windshield there’s like a “sheen”. I tried cleaning and it doesn’t come off. Nothing shows up on the cloth when I clean it. It’s definitely there though. It goes away for a second then reappears.

Thoughts?
Use a clean microfibre cloth and rubbing alcohol - always works for me
      11-04-2023, 10:16 AM   #5
kwikit356
Private
Rep
Drives: 23 M240ix 16 Porsche Spyder

Bandit009 The film, or whatever it is, for the HUD is limited to the lower part of the windshield. I agree with using isopropyl alcohol to eliminate whatever is on the inside of your windshield. I also use the aerosol "Invisible Glass" you can order on Amazon- on both the inside and outside. If none of these ideas work I think you should let your dealer try to fix it.

My car arrived with an incredible amount of embedded dirt- likely from sitting outside in Mexico. I still have not been able to get rid of all of it on the sunroof seal.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2023, 03:22 PM   #6
oldbmwtech
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Use a Magic Eraser, works great on glass. Don't use it on exterior painted surfaces or interior surfaces, too abrasive.
Appreciate 2
PP3121363.50
MPR1829.50
      11-05-2023, 11:59 AM   #7
armandnouri
📷 @boost.m240
Rep
Drives: 2022 G42 M240ix

Hey man, sorry to hear your having issues with that!

This is my own comprehensive detailing regimen, as it pertains to glass, which I have meticulously developed over time, backed by a substantial investment in high-quality detailing products. Detailing has evolved into a dedicated pursuit, akin to a second hobby for me.

To answer your original question and problem with the sheen / residue::

Griots Glass Cleaner: Use Griots glass cleaner for effective cleaning. This is the non si02 variant.

Microfiber Towel: Utilize a microfiber towel that has been maintained correctly and is devoid of lint. In case you are unsure about the proper cleaning of a microfiber towel, I would personally use a brand new one. Those microfibers (yellow ones) at Costco will get the job done. Don't worry about streaks and perfection, I'm only cleaning the surface itself in this step. Buffing is not a concern.

Adams Brilliant Glaze: Apply Adams Brilliant Glaze generously to the interior of your windshield with a microfiber applicator pad. This application can also extend to the exterior if you wish, as it will yield the same results. Allow it to sit for approximately 2 minutes. Don't let it sit for too long however, as it will become more difficult to buff off (ask me how I know lol).

Dedicated Glass Cleaner Microfiber Towel: After the wait period, use a dedicated glass cleaner microfiber towel

(a specific towel designed for glass cleaning, which you can also get through Adams - this one is a green towel found here: https://adamspolishes.com/en-ca/prod...29158963904609).

Use the non-fluffy side of the towel to wipe away the Brilliant Glaze. It might be necessary to inspect the glass under a flashlight to ensure no spots are overlooked. It should not streak under LED, but LED will help see the spots you will miss.

If you want to go all the way and get the nooks and crannys of the glass windshield, I use something called the glass master. Works wonders to get those hard-to-reach areas on BMWs.

The issue you are encountering pertains to off-gassing from various sources such as plastics, leather, and detailing products. This off-gassing tends to leave a hazy residue on the glass that standard glass cleaners struggle to address effectively. Using Brilliant Glaze is a safe and efficient method, particularly as it poses no harm to tinted windows. I've used it on so many cars and my own, and it is ammonia-safe.

It is my preferred choice for glass-related detailing tasks performed in my garage. *******However, I strongly advise against its use in direct sunlight. In fact, don't use it in direct sunlight at all.*****

For car shows and outdoor applications, I recommend alternatives like Griots or Invisible Glass. Additionally, refrain from using ceramic Si02-based cleaners, as they can significantly diminish the longevity of your towels. I avoid Si02 products all together, as they are very difficult to clean out of towels, and the ones I use are the highest grade, and often, very expensive.

While this solution may not be budget-friendly, it should effectively address the issue you are having. If you decide to listen to my advice, I hope it works well for you. Would be interested in a follow up to see if you have good results!

Last edited by armandnouri; 11-05-2023 at 12:22 PM..
Appreciate 2
Sonic RR148.50
PP3121363.50
      11-05-2023, 06:11 PM   #8
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi - 2022 992 C2S Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandnouri View Post
Hey man, sorry to hear your having issues with that!

This is my own comprehensive detailing regimen, as it pertains to glass, which I have meticulously developed over time, backed by a substantial investment in high-quality detailing products. Detailing has evolved into a dedicated pursuit, akin to a second hobby for me.

To answer your original question and problem with the sheen / residue::

Griots Glass Cleaner: Use Griots glass cleaner for effective cleaning. This is the non si02 variant.

Microfiber Towel: Utilize a microfiber towel that has been maintained correctly and is devoid of lint. In case you are unsure about the proper cleaning of a microfiber towel, I would personally use a brand new one. Those microfibers (yellow ones) at Costco will get the job done. Don't worry about streaks and perfection, I'm only cleaning the surface itself in this step. Buffing is not a concern.

Adams Brilliant Glaze: Apply Adams Brilliant Glaze generously to the interior of your windshield with a microfiber applicator pad. This application can also extend to the exterior if you wish, as it will yield the same results. Allow it to sit for approximately 2 minutes. Don't let it sit for too long however, as it will become more difficult to buff off (ask me how I know lol).

Dedicated Glass Cleaner Microfiber Towel: After the wait period, use a dedicated glass cleaner microfiber towel

(a specific towel designed for glass cleaning, which you can also get through Adams - this one is a green [...]
You guys clearly have too much time on time on your hands… 😂
      11-06-2023, 01:34 PM   #9
armandnouri
📷 @boost.m240
Rep
Drives: 2022 G42 M240ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by German1967 View Post
You guys clearly have too much time on time on your hands… 😂
Nah, I was just incredibly bored waiting for a client to join a Webex call and typed all that out.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 08:05 AM   #10
BG42
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240ix

Use whatever you use for windows if it dont come off apply more pressure. Car forums 2023.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 08:06 PM   #11
Bandit009
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisiblename View Post
Use a clean microfibre cloth and rubbing alcohol - always works for me
This worked! Thanks!
Appreciate 1