BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

Yesterday, 04:19 PM   #1
Madkows
Rep
Drives: ‘23 M240i

M240i Rarity

I picked up a brand new late ‘23 model Porti blue M240i RWD (47 miles on the clock) up in NOVA about 2 months ago fully loaded simply by perusing cars.com. Saw it on Wednesday, paid on Thursday, and then drove north to pick up on that Friday. Dealer even gave me about $2k off MSRP, granted some military perk in there too. Regardless, seen a lot of folks on this forum that have upwards of a year waiting in line for one. Did I just get Domino lucky? I have yet to see a G42 or G87 around where I live. Beginning to think someone simply special ordered the car and something fell through with the buyer. Anyone know what the production numbers are on these things? If they’re unicorns, and my experience to date with its driving performance indicates that, I’m about to tell my wife to cease and desist driving and then put it in bubble wrap or something.
Appreciate 1
ando2005.00
      Yesterday, 04:45 PM   #2
Coconut
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i xDrive

These cars are available instock at most dealers. The ones waiting are those who special ordered the car to get the exact spec want, and the wait is usually 3-6 months. Most dealers have 1-3 in stock and I believe they get an allocation for maybe 3-10 G42’s a month.

As a point of reference, I did a local search and all 4 dealers around me have 1-4 M240i’s in stock.

Uncommon yes, but it’s not rare. You’re driving a very competent daily, not some unicorn.

Last edited by Coconut; Yesterday at 04:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 04:46 PM   #3
Littlecoupe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

I don't have the production numbers, but I am certain the G42's are uncommon, but not necessarily rare. I have seen a few in my city of 1.1m people, and I know there are more out there. Having perused our two dealers in my city, it seems they usually have a couple each on their "inventory" which probably includes customer orders to look like they have stock. I wouldn't doubt there are around than 100 in my city.

I don't think the G42 is truly special enough to reach any meaningful collector status, so I say just drive it. Even being a rare 2 door with possibly one of the last gas powered non-hybrid powertrains, I just don't think they're going be worth anything meaningful at any point. M2's may hold their value much better, and may or may never ever see meaningful collector value.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 06:04 PM   #4
Madkows
Rep
Drives: ‘23 M240i

Definitely think “uncommon” may be the better term to use then. Either way, I’m extremely happy with it and couldn’t ask for too much more.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:29 AM   #5
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW M240i

Doesn’t rare and uncommon mean the same thing? I don’t think calling it rare insinuates that it is some exotic car if thats where you’re going, I think we’re splitting hairs here.

I’ve seen less than 10 on the roads since the car was released, fair to call it a rare (or uncommon) car in my book.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      Today, 11:22 AM   #6
WilcoJunoHotel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 M240i RWD

You also have to be careful when you look at a dealer's website and some of the auto trading sites. Many of the cars that they show are cars that are on order for customers - projected inventory at best because they are not physically on their lot and may not ever be for sale. When the order is entered with the factory, some AI bot takes the info on the car from BMW's computer system and automatically publishes it online. Not all dealers participate in this but most do. My car that I special ordered showed up on my dealer's website within a few weeks of me placing the order. It makes it look like the car is in inventory and available for sale - It even provides the VIN.

Here in the north metro ATL area, I have only seen two M240i and zero M2 cars in the past year. I see quite a few M340i, M440i, M4, 430i and 440i cars. There is even a recent MY M5 that I see parked in an office park near my home (that V8 sounds good but she is a big and heavy car).
Appreciate 0
      Today, 11:22 AM   #7
BlueLEDz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW 230i

I believe the sales number for 2023 put the 2-series at around 20-24k sold, in USA.

Compared with some of the SAV that have had over 300k, it’s definitely not a common vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 04:28 PM   #8
Cerealkiller
Private
Rep
Drives: M240i

One night I saw 4 going out for dinner in NOVA. So there were 5 including mine lol.
Appreciate 0