home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

09-21-2023, 08:38 PM   #1
baron95
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW G87 M2

How to Turn Off Collision Warning Mitigation on Track

I was finally able to drive some G8X on track, but was not allowed to change the settings (BMW rules). Some were set up in Track Mmode, some in Sport.

I noticed that whenever I came close to another vehicle at a fast closure rate, the forward collision warning would go crazy, flash, raise the windows, tug the seatbelt, etc. Quite anoying.

I know there is a way to turn these things off from Vehicle settings.

But is there a quick way to turn them off just when you go on track? My G87 will not have the Pro Package (so no Track M mode).

What is the magic combinations (e.g. SPort M Mode, or Sport M Mode + MDM, or some other button press) that turns this thing off?

Thank you.

P.S. I don't have my car yet, so can't go try things out. Just trying to be ready.
      09-21-2023, 10:45 PM   #2
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron95 View Post
My G87 will not have the Pro Package (so no Track M mode).
All M2s should have M Track Mode. My car doesn’t have any additional packages and only a few options such as manual and CF roof but has track mode.

The “M Mode” button allows track mode to be selected and disables driver assistance features when activated. The only restriction for activation is that the car has to be stationary when track mode is selected.
Appreciate 2
M2siast5940.00
      09-22-2023, 01:36 AM   #3
baron95
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
All M2s should have M Track Mode. My car doesn’t have any additional packages and only a few options such as manual and CF roof but has track mode.

The “M Mode” button allows track mode to be selected and disables driver assistance features when activated. The only restriction for activation is that the car has to be stationary when track mode is selected.
It's a bit confusing with some places saying the M Drive Professional is standard, others saying it is optional on the G8X cars.

https://www.bmw-m.com/en/topics/maga...m4-m-mode.html (for example)

Great if it is standard.

Last edited by baron95; 09-22-2023 at 02:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 01:46 AM   #4
baron95
Captain
Rep

In any event, it seems that even in Track Mode, the vehicle will alert, tug the seatbelts and roll up the windows if your closure rate is too great - I triggered it multiple times per lap. But I drove so many G8X cars, some were in Track, some might not have been.

On the events that I run, I'd be black flagged if my windows are up.

Anyone knows of a way to prevent the windows from going up that is easy to activate?

Thanks.

Last edited by baron95; 09-22-2023 at 02:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 10:38 AM   #5
ZPD
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i GC, 2023 G87

hmmmm, I am not 100% sure but I have come on some drivers pretty fast and followed closely on the track and I never triggered the alert in my M2. I did an M track day and they wouldn't allow us to go into track mode and I triggered the alert a few times in an M3. I suspect that it is turned off in track mode.
Appreciate 1
baron951715.50
      12-15-2023, 09:47 PM   #6
shwayne5
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 G80 RWD

Quote:
In any event, it seems that even in Track Mode, the vehicle will alert, tug the seatbelts and roll up the windows if your closure rate is too great - I triggered it multiple times per lap. But I drove so many G8X cars, some were in Track, some might not have been.

On the events that I run, I'd be black flagged if my windows are up.

Anyone knows of a way to prevent the windows from going up that is easy to activate?

Thanks.
I’ll save you the trouble of wondering if there is a way to shut it off and tell you, there isn’t. I contacted a coder in Poland who is very capable of coding various issues out of the car but the windows rolling up is something that is a non-starter. It is integrated into multiple safety systems and it would generate multiple errors. You could pull the fuse for the windows, or just tell the track organizers about it. It’s straight up annoying as all get out. I deal with this every time I go to the track and I go a lot.
Appreciate 2
baron951715.50
Baller150.00
      12-16-2023, 11:27 AM   #7
baron95
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwayne5 View Post
I’ll save you the trouble of wondering if there is a way to shut it off and tell you, there isn’t. I contacted a coder in Poland who is very capable of coding various issues out of the car but the windows rolling up is something that is a non-starter. It is integrated into multiple safety systems and it would generate multiple errors. You could pull the fuse for the windows, or just tell the track organizers about it. It’s straight up annoying as all get out. I deal with this every time I go to the track and I go a lot.
Thanks for the info. Hard to believe that this is the case on a car that has a “track” mode. This may be a deal breaker.

Do you know what fuse controls the windows?
      12-16-2023, 11:31 AM   #8
shwayne5
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Hard to believe that this is the case on a car that has a “track” mode. This may be a deal breaker.

Do you know what fuse controls the windows?
I don’t off hand. I might by tomorrow because I got black flagged for windows rolling up last week, and I got tired of rolling them back down at COTA, and I will be back out there in the morning. Someone posted the fuse location in the g80 m3 forums. I’ll try searching. So stupid. But they run windows up in Europe, or at least in Germany so maybe it was an oversight.
Appreciate 1
baron951715.50
      12-16-2023, 11:33 AM   #9
shwayne5
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don’t off hand. I might by tomorrow because I got black flagged for windows rolling up last week, and I got tired of rolling them back down at COTA, and I will be back out there in the morning. Someone posted the fuse location in the g80 m3 forums. I’ll try searching. So stupid. But they run windows up in Europe, or at least in Germany so maybe it was an oversight.
Here it is:https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1953557
Appreciate 1
baron951715.50
      12-17-2023, 12:39 PM   #10
baron95
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thank you. I’m an instructor and it is not a good look to be black flagged all the time for the stupid windows.

Does your car have the advanced cruise control with the front radar?

I didn’t spec that on mini in the hopes that it would not cause as many issues on track.
      12-17-2023, 08:22 PM   #11
shwayne5
Private
United_States
Rep

It does have advanced cruise control. Really useful now that I’ve converted it into track only car.
Appreciate 1
baron951715.50
      12-18-2023, 09:15 PM   #12
gcmak
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 & IS500

Not once have I had this issue occur on track or in drifting, even when I'm standing on the brakes and in one or two cases, out-braked myself nearly into the back of another car. It's mandatory to have our windows down in California tracks by pretty much all organizations.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 12:20 PM   #13
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Does the seatbelt in auto cars tighten when starting to drive?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2023, 09:22 PM   #14
gcmak
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 & IS500

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2siast View Post
Not mine.
Appreciate 1
M2siast5940.00
      01-19-2024, 07:21 AM   #15
micah_675
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Garage List
2024 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2siast View Post
It will if you set an M mode and it's less pronounced than the x3m comp I drove. It does not in standard but it will lock up with hard acceleration.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2024, 07:22 AM   #16
micah_675
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Garage List
2024 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
I was finally able to drive some G8X on track, but was not allowed to change the settings (BMW rules). Some were set up in Track Mmode, some in Sport.

I noticed that whenever I came close to another vehicle at a fast closure rate, the forward collision warning would go crazy, flash, raise the windows, tug the seatbelt, etc. Quite anoying.

I know there is a way to turn these things off from Vehicle settings.

But is there a quick way to turn them off just when you go on track? My G87 will not have the Pro Package (so no Track M mode).

What is the magic combinations (e.g. SPort M Mode, or Sport M Mode + MDM, or some other button press) that turns this thing off?

Thank you.

P.S. I don't have my car yet, so can't go try things out. Just trying to be ready.
All you do is hit M-mode and set it to track. It will turn off all drivers assistance
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2024, 08:43 AM   #17
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by micah_675 View Post
It will if you set an M mode and it's less pronounced than the x3m comp I drove. It does not in standard but it will lock up with hard acceleration.
This isn’t true for the manual. Are you sure of what you’re saying for the automatic?

Maybe we’re talking about different things. Seat belt tightening I’m referring to is when the belt gives you a tug to reduce the gap, without any intervention. No need for hard acceleration.

I believe you’re referring to the seat belt lock up that happens with high inertia, which every seat belt in any car does.
Appreciate 0