home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

04-07-2024, 09:23 PM   #1
anthemavm
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Laptimer

What are you using to get your laptimes and data from the car?

Thanks, see some really cool integration into videos.

Michael
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 10:54 PM   #2
ZPD
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i GC, 2023 G87

I use TrackAddict app and race render for the video
      04-07-2024, 11:00 PM   #3
jhstjh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2, 2024 GR Corolla

Garage List
Bluetooth OBDII dongle + Phone App works pretty well to start with. You can get data via OBDII like speed, RPM, oil/coolant temp, throttle position (doesn't seem to be accurate though) and record lap time, diff, g meter etc.

Having been using TrackAddict and recently switched to RaceChrono. One big advantage of RaceChrono for me is it can remotely control video recording from GoPro, and can sync the video/add overlay from within the app. While with TrackAddict you have to export the CSV file, manually sync time and render the video with RaceRender on PC.

You can connect an external GPS to increase the precision.

I'm sure you can also get fancy by tapping into CAN BUS to get more data, but I have not gone down that rabbit hole yet.

Also Garmin Catalyst. It can export lap video with data overlay too. But it doesn't connect to OBDII so it only has speed. g meter and time, no RPM etc. And you have to mount it on the windshield for it to record and analyze race line properly. So the video angle option is limited comparing to using Phone or GoPro.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 07:00 PM   #4
ZPD
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhstjh View Post
Bluetooth OBDII dongle + Phone App works pretty well to start with. You can get data via OBDII like speed, RPM, oil/coolant temp, throttle position (doesn't seem to be accurate though) and record lap time, diff, g meter etc.
I have seen the same. There are times when I know I am at WOT and the throttle position is around 80%. Also sometimes the brakes flash on when I know I didn't hit them. I wonder what is causing these false signals?
      04-08-2024, 08:56 PM   #5
jhstjh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2, 2024 GR Corolla

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPD View Post
I have seen the same. There are times when I know I am at WOT and the throttle position is around 80%. Also sometimes the brakes flash on when I know I didn't hit them. I wonder what is causing these false signals?
I noticed if ECU cuts power (during up shift, for example), the "throttle position" value will be reduced even if you're still flooring the car. So it's not the "pedal position" but the actual adjusted throttle position after all the electronics. If you export video directly with the app it does some compensation to "fix" it, but with TrackAddict CSV + RaceRender, you need to remap the range and somehow fill the gap between shifts. I ended up not using it.

My OBDII can't read brake position. Can your OBDII recognize it? For me the "Brake" from TrackAddict is marked as "Calculated", presumably from throttle position and G sensor, so it was never accurate.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 09:30 PM   #6
ZPD
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhstjh View Post
I noticed if ECU cuts power (during up shift, for example), the "throttle position" value will be reduced even if you're still flooring the car. So it's not the "pedal position" but the actual adjusted throttle position after all the electronics. If you export video directly with the app it does some compensation to "fix" it, but with TrackAddict CSV + RaceRender, you need to remap the range and somehow fill the gap between shifts. I ended up not using it.

My OBDII can't read brake position. Can your OBDII recognize it? For me the "Brake" from TrackAddict is marked as "Calculated", presumably from throttle position and G sensor, so it was never accurate.
I am sure that the brake position is calculated. TBH, I haven't looked into it very much. Once I noticed that the data was not reliable I stopped putting it in my templates.
      04-10-2024, 08:07 PM   #7
Biglife
Rep
Drives: 24 G87 M2

How often do you plan to track you m2? I'd consider an Aim Solo 2 - accurate & great data
Appreciate 0