home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

07-11-2023, 02:42 PM   #1
Bryan_G87
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M2

Autocross Experience

Hello all, I have been fortunate enough to get my dealers HEA car and have gone to a few autocross events already. I figured I would post updates on how the car does with different mods and maybe learn a few things from the more experienced crowd out there. I have never been a forum user so I am excited to meet some other enthusiasts!
Attached Images

Appreciate 10
      07-11-2023, 11:43 PM   #2
Sherlock997
Private
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW M2

Congrats on the M2 and welcome! Awesome to see these being autocrossed as I'm planning to do the same when I get mine. Wanting to do the MPHAS kit, square set of 305 tires, and camber plates.

How does it handle smaller autocross type courses? I think I have seen a few of your vids in the Facebook groups.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2023, 11:59 PM   #3
fcman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87

How did the car do? I’m coming out of a c7 which was an absolute monster, even on 300tw mpss. Not expecting the same level of performance from the bmw but hoping it can hold its own pretty well in factory spec
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2023, 07:53 AM   #4
Lappy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2C 2018 BMW M4

Curious to what is done to the car as that does not look BS legal
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2023, 09:10 AM   #5
Bryan_G87
United_States
Rep

The car was bone stock for the first two events. We have a smaller group, but I was 7 tenths off top overall raw for the first event and 1.6 second off top raw on the second. The second event was a much tighter course where a built miata on slicks is much harder to keep up with.. I will say on the slower layout the car did start pushing but it was manageable. I’m still newish to autocross so I know there is a lot more for me to learn as a driver.

I still get confused with the different rules for the classes and so on the third event I had just installed the AST HAS kit so I should have been in STU I believe. I want to build the car class specific, I was thinking of just adding camber plates and a 19x10.5 295 squared set up, which I believe is allowed in STU(correct me if I’m wrong). With that being said, the little bit of camber added from lowering the car nearly eliminated the under steering. I have been driving with the M traction control set to 4 and that allows really good rotation in my opinion.
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2023, 09:17 AM   #6
Bryan_G87
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock997 View Post
Congrats on the M2 and welcome! Awesome to see these being autocrossed as I'm planning to do the same when I get mine. Wanting to do the MPHAS kit, square set of 305 tires, and camber plates.

How does it handle smaller autocross type courses? I think I have seen a few of your vids in the Facebook groups.
Thanks! The second event I went too was a very tight technical course and I did suffer from a bit of pushing but it was manageable, i installed the AST HAS kit before the third event and even just lowering the car got rid of most the pushing! I want to do camber plates and a square set up and see if that completely eliminates it. The traction control on this car is amazing and really let’s you push the limits of the car coming out of turns.
Appreciate 2
      07-12-2023, 10:57 AM   #7
Lappy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_G87 View Post
The car was bone stock for the first two events. We have a smaller group, but I was 7 tenths off top overall raw for the first event and 1.6 second off top raw on the second. The second event was a much tighter course where a built miata on slicks is much harder to keep up with.. I will say on the slower layout the car did start pushing but it was manageable. I’m still newish to autocross so I know there is a lot more for me to learn as a driver.

I still get confused with the different rules for the classes and so on the third event I had just installed the AST HAS kit so I should have been in STU I believe. I want to build the car class specific, I was thinking of just adding camber plates and a 19x10.5 295 squared set up, which I believe is allowed in STU(correct me if I’m wrong). With that being said, the little bit of camber added from lowering the car nearly eliminated the under steering. I have been driving with the M traction control set to 4 and that allows really good rotation in my opinion.
Not sure how involved you plan to be in scca autox, however the car is not classed anywhere currently (B-street for a stock car is likely to be released in this month's fast track due in a week or so). With your mods the car is not classed in STU and would likely fall under a catch all making it useless from a competitive stand point. Just a heads up in the event you decided to get serious. If you are out to just have fun, feel free to do whatever but don't expect to actually compete.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2023, 11:23 AM   #8
Bryan_G87
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lappy View Post
Not sure how involved you plan to be in scca autox, however the car is not classed anywhere currently (B-street for a stock car is likely to be released in this month's fast track due in a week or so). With your mods the car is not classed in STU and would likely fall under a catch all making it useless from a competitive stand point. Just a heads up in the event you decided to get serious. If you are out to just have fun, feel free to do whatever but don't expect to actually compete.
Thanks for the input, are you referring to the HAS Kit to be mod that knocks me out of any classes? If it is too much for STU, then would it fall into BSP? (if they end up classing the car as bs)
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2023, 01:48 PM   #9
Lappy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the input, are you referring to the HAS Kit to be mod that knocks me out of any classes? If it is too much for STU, then would it fall into BSP? (if they end up classing the car as bs)
SSP is the catch all class for sport cars over 2.0L, however that is not legal for national competition. Like I said, if you care about national competition, I would hold of on the modifications. If you don't care, have fun.
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2023, 02:45 PM   #10
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
First congrats and welcome!
Was the car bone stock in the pictures?
It looks slammed… what kind of suspension?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2023, 03:28 PM   #11
Bryan_G87
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2siast View Post
First congrats and welcome!
Was the car bone stock in the pictures?
It looks slammed… what kind of suspension?
Thanks! The pictures were from this last event last weekend, the car has AST HAS kit installed.
Appreciate 1
M2siast5940.00
      07-12-2023, 03:52 PM   #12
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Thanks! The pictures were from this last event last weekend, the car has AST HAS kit installed.
Cool ok thanks.
Hope you didn’t run as BS then lol that’d be cheating
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2023, 04:37 PM   #13
Bryan_G87
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Cool ok thanks.
Hope you didn’t run as BS then lol that’d be cheating
Unfortunately I cheated this last event, but so did my only competitor which was my dad who was was codriving my car lol.. I have been doing some research and trying to figure out where I should be, but I am finding conflicting information
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2023, 05:40 PM   #14
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Unfortunately I cheated this last event, but so did my only competitor which was my dad who was was codriving my car lol.. I have been doing some research and trying to figure out where I should be, but I am finding conflicting information
I understand the confusion about which “street” class a new car would be (A-Street, F-Street), but a car with modified suspension is never in street, it’s always STX or modified.

Don’t the organizers assist with classing the car where you go? They usually have a geek who will know most things off hand
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2023, 06:00 PM   #15
Bryan_G87
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I understand the confusion about which “street” class a new car would be (A-Street, F-Street), but a car with modified suspension is never in street, it’s always STX or modified.

Don’t the organizers assist with classing the car where you go? They usually have a geek who will know most things off hand
They were not aware I made any changes since last event and our group is rather small. (20-30 entrants) We talked after the event and they were unsure where I was supposed to be. Going forward I am going to build the car to comply with SST, but run in SSP until they determine the class for this car. I want to build the car with limitations because otherwise it becomes a money pit. I don't intend to compete in nationals or anything like that, I just like the idea of trying to optimize a car within a class instead of just buying any and all parts available.
Appreciate 1
M2siast5940.00
      07-13-2023, 12:59 PM   #16
Bryan_G87
United_States
Rep

Here is a link to the Go-Pro footage for my best run on this last event. Critiques welcomed!
Appreciate 3
      07-15-2023, 02:49 PM   #17
Hendo741
Chief Petty Officer
Rep
Drives: 22 M4CX / 22 X3MC

If you're running 200 TW or higher, XA has a much better PAX than SSP. XA is pretty much a street car catch all for "street tires." As it stands right now, the G87 isn't eligible for SST. That will likely change at a later date, but SST and XA PAX arent far off.
      07-16-2023, 10:23 PM   #18
Sherlock997
Private
Rep

Here's a pretty handy tool to figure out SCCA classing, select your car and it will highlight what classing the vehicle is eligible for and provide a high-level overview of classing rules. Of course, the G87 isn't in it yet.

https://www.scca-classifier.com/a/index.html
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2023, 03:39 PM   #19
Lappy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Here is a link to the Go-Pro footage for my best run on this last event. Critiques welcomed!
Try to slap the gopro on the side of the car so you can see your driver inputs and through the windshield, also turn off the camera stability settings as it masks what the car is actually doing.

Here's an example from one of my events.
Appreciate 1
      07-17-2023, 08:34 PM   #20
Sherlock997
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lappy View Post
Try to slap the gopro on the side of the car so you can see your driver inputs and through the windshield, also turn off the camera stability settings as it masks what the car is actually doing.

Here's an example from one of my events.
The helmet view also works, although can be a little shaky at times. Also what's your setup on the F87? That turn-in looks incredible.

Last edited by Sherlock997; 07-17-2023 at 08:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 06:29 AM   #21
Lappy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock997 View Post
The helmet view also works, although can be a little shaky at times. Also what's your setup on the F87? That turn-in looks incredible.

Thanks, the car is very balanced and behaves well. Unfortunately it took me like two years to figure out the setup and now its going away in a month or so for the g87.

Car is setup for Scca B-Street
BMW Camber Corrections Hubs
MCS 2wnr shocks
Dinan FSB and Endlinks
Forgeone 19x9/19x10 wheels with 255/275 Re71rs tires, 5mm spacer on the front.
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2023, 12:13 PM   #22
baron95
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW G87 M2

Quote:
Would the MP Sports Suspension (Z58) ordered as a manufacturer installed accessory which comes listed in the sticker as a factory option, be considered a modified suspension for the purposes of classing?