home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

08-05-2023, 07:57 PM   #1
ZPD
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i GC, 2023 G87

M track days at COTA

So I just got back from an M track days experience. It was really good time. I signed up for this several months ago mainly because I wanted to see how the M2 would do in the heat. I have done ~10 track days at COTA in my 700+ HP Mustang GT but I would constantly overheat on any track day over 80 degrees. It was 106-114 according to the display on the car depending on where you were so this was a good test. We drove M3's and M4's on the track, M2's on the autocross and a variety of SUV's on a pseudo-drag strip. I was surprised with the M4. Maybe I drew the short straw and got a dog because my Mustang could outbrake the M4 and the M4 had carbon ceramic brakes. I had to brake a lot sooner coming into turn 11 than I did in my Mustang. The M3 was awesome on the track though.
All the cars would bog down coming out of the corners probably because they were set to sport plus with DSC fully on. At the end of the day we got to ride with an instructor and my instructor turn X-drive off (M3), put it in Track mode, and had DSC off. I feel like this would be a good representation of the M2. It was very impressive.
I turned the active display on each time so I could monitor real engine temps. Nothing got over 230 degrees so that is really good news.
I am looking forward to getting my M2 through the break in miles and set it up for the track!
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2023, 11:05 PM   #2
gcmak
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 & IS500

It sounds like your Mustang had to have been at least somewhat prepped for the power it outputs - at least the tires. Tires are the limiting factor for these cars at M Track Days. Did you see what tires were on the cars for your day and what condition they were in?

I was on some nearly bald and likely heat cycled out Continental Contact Sport summer tires at my event in 2021 - I believe Continental was the tire sponsor at least in my region and I was one of the last days of the event, so it wasn't a surprise when I noticed most of the tires were in very rough shape and brake pedal travel was very long in some of the vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 08:01 AM   #3
ZPD
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i GC, 2023 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcmak View Post
It sounds like your Mustang had to have been at least somewhat prepped for the power it outputs - at least the tires. Tires are the limiting factor for these cars at M Track Days. Did you see what tires were on the cars for your day and what condition they were in?

I was on some nearly bald and likely heat cycled out Continental Contact Sport summer tires at my event in 2021 - I believe Continental was the tire sponsor at least in my region and I was one of the last days of the event, so it wasn't a surprise when I noticed most of the tires were in very rough shape and brake pedal travel was very long in some of the vehicles.
ya, I ran 305 squared NT01's on the Mustang so I had plenty of grip. All the cars I was in at BMW track days had the factory PS4S and were "newish"
Appreciate 1
gcmak135.50