BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

12-01-2023, 06:24 AM   #23
GT3M2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, 996 Turbo, 1290 SDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagletangogreen View Post

Anyone with 18x10.5 can you post a picture of the caliper clearance?

Was going to do RA this weekend but it’s going to cold and raining, haven’t driven the car on track with the new msc coils. This is a dedicated track car I don’t drive it on the street because #raceseats
I am running a spacer but I can take photos.

Come, I think Sunday will end up being dry. Rain around 6 am then none rest of day.

-GT3M2
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2023, 12:17 PM   #24
Kado
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2022 Subaru BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagletangogreen View Post
Hey guys this is my “Blu Pig”

19x10 apex on MCS coils

Anyone with 18x10.5 can you post a picture of the caliper clearance?

Was going to do RA this weekend but it’s going to cold and raining, haven’t driven the car on track with the new msc coils. This is a dedicated track car I don’t drive it on the street because #raceseats
Quick release on the remote canisters... what a great idea!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2023, 11:36 PM   #25
gcmak
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 & IS500

With more owners participating in various motorsport events, I'm curious what the oil change intervals people are going with. I'm mostly doing HPDE and was thinking about every 3-4 events I'd do an oil change. The car keeps the oil temps so freaking low I'm not really worried about it...even thinking of just waiting for the computer to tell me when it needs to be changed.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 01:19 PM   #26
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
The worst way to go about track days is throwing parts at the car without understanding the changes they bring.

I would start with tracking the car in its stock form (notwithstanding the bucket seats and the SRF brake fluid) then modify the brakes and tires, the suspension, the aerodynamics and so forth.
      01-09-2024, 12:01 PM   #27
lutfy
Captain
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, NASA ST5 86, Defender

Anyone has experience tracking with stock brake pads? This M2 is my DD and I really like the fact that I can still track it.

Have a dedicated NASA ST5 race car which I compete in but sometimes the haggle of taking practice/rain/qualifying tires, trailer, E85, loading/unloading can zap the joy.

That said, I'd like to be able to instruct and turn in some laps with the M2. Load up the vehicle with a helmet, small bag of clothes etc and go....

I can manage the tires knowing well that it is camber limited but would like some input on the OEM brakes. How do they hold wear wise and most importantly manage heat? I tried once with my E90 M3 and fronts were done in 1 day at Summit Point (not a typo).

Prefer not to change pads. The tires seem to have plenty of grip! Likely 2 weekends a year with the M2.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 04:43 PM   #28
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lutfy View Post
Anyone has experience tracking with stock brake pads? This M2 is my DD and I really like the fact that I can still track it.

Have a dedicated NASA ST5 race car which I compete in but sometimes the haggle of taking practice/rain/qualifying tires, trailer, E85, loading/unloading can zap the joy.

That said, I'd like to be able to instruct and turn in some laps with the M2. Load up the vehicle with a helmet, small bag of clothes etc and go....

I can manage the tires knowing well that it is camber limited but would like some input on the OEM brakes. How do they hold wear wise and most importantly manage heat? I tried once with my E90 M3 and fronts were done in 1 day at Summit Point (not a typo).

Prefer not to change pads. The tires seem to have plenty of grip! Likely 2 weekends a year with the M2.

Robert did say after switching to Endless pads (likely ME20s) and adding cooling hoses to the stock brake ducts he was getting close to 180 laps out of them. He also mentioned he cooked the stock pads within a day of running as a Ring taxi. Watch around 7:50. Bear in mind the Ring isn't as harsh on the brakes as some of the slower tracks due to a decent amount of cold air the brakes get.
      01-09-2024, 05:03 PM   #29
lutfy
Captain
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, NASA ST5 86, Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post

Robert did say after switching to Endless pads (likely ME20s) and adding cooling hoses to the stock brake ducts he was getting close to 180 laps out of them. He also mentioned he cooked the stock pads within a day of running as a Ring taxi. Watch around 7:50. Bear in mind the Ring isn't as harsh on the brakes as some of the slower tracks due to a decent amount of cold air the brakes get.
Thanks for sharing, this was helpful!! So I thought... Brake pads at a minimum.

Contemplated the BMW brake coverage (3y/36K miles) around ~$700 from the dealer but that may be false economics when you are frustrated at the track with no pads left 1st track day.

This is a big heavy car with lots of power, slowing it down will be taxing.

Should be a low 2 min car at VIR/Watkins Glen with proper brake pads though!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 05:38 PM   #30
ZPD
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i GC, 2023 G87

Quote:

So just this last weekend I went to the track. I wasn't sure if I could get a full day out of my track pads so I went with my stock pads. Right before the last 2 sessions I put my track pads back on so I got as good as a comparison as you could. The results are not surprising- the track pads obviously had better bite and modulation and held up to the temperature better but the stock pads are not terrible. Personally I wouldn't use the stock pads if I knew that I was going to have to brake hard from, say, 130 mph. If the track you are at has plenty of short straights and you were only going to go a few times a year then I think your stock pads would be fine.
      01-21-2024, 03:47 PM   #31
GenXG87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 & 2018 M2

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [8.50]
2018 BMW M2  [9.75]
Quote:

I have a 4 track days and a few Autocrosses on the stock pads. Have run both P4S and Azenis RT660s.

All my days are at Roebling Road. There is only on hard brake zone. 155mph to about 75mph.

I flushed with SRF after 2 track days. Fluid looked good.

I will be running at other tracks this year so we will see how the brakes hold up. Road Atlanta, AMP, Sebring and FIRM likely.

I'm planning on changing pads to Ferodo DS2500. Still not wanting to swap pads between track and street yet. If the car experiences fade I'll bite the bullet and get a set of Ferodo 1.11.
Appreciate 2
aerobod3700.00