bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior, Interior, Lighting)

03-02-2022, 08:11 PM   #23
Vudumonkey25
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i x Mercedes CLS550

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFreeSteve View Post
Looks great guys, I went ahead and ordered a set of this myself.

Right now I have the piano black parts vinyl wrapped in a semi-gloss carbon fiber and it looks great, but I want the glossy look carbon.

I don't have much experience vinyl wrapping but it seems like most glossy wraps have a lot of textured orange peel. This kit seems like a much better alternative if you want the glossy/wet look.
Way easier than wrapping the parts too. Post pics when you get it installed and if you haven't read through the post here for some tips for a perfect alignment
'22 M240i BSM, Shadowline, Black 791M wheels, Red Calipers, ///M Carbon Front Lip, ///M Carbon Spoiler, ///MCarbon Door Sills, Milltek Catback w/Black Tips, Dinan Carbon Intake/Engine Cover, AA Catted DP, Dalher Valve Controller, OEM+ Strut Bar, Red Start/Stop, Floating center caps, TLG Mud Flaps, Black Badges, Led Projectors, 50th Emblems, Carbon Diffuser/Mirrors w/smoke signals/Side Wings/Cooling Shroud/KIES fire extinguisher, Yellow DRL
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 09:00 PM   #24
SugarFreeSteve
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vudumonkey25 View Post
Way easier than wrapping the parts too. Post pics when you get it installed and if you haven't read through the post here for some tips for a perfect alignment
I'll definitely add to the pictures once my kit gets in. It would be good to keep the thread going to see how consistent they are with the quality of the kits.

I wrapped the parts myself in vivid true R carbon I got off amazon for like $12, it's not particularly bad on this car for anyone wanting to go that route. I'll try to post some pics of my wrap job tomorrow.

First I tried a gloss carbon wrap, but it had way too much orange peel texture when the sun reflected off it, it looked way fake in direct sunlight. But the semi-gloss/matte stuff actually looks really good.

I was never big on carbon fiber stuff, especially on the interior but my last car (ATS-V) had some real dry carbon trim on the interior so it grew on me, now I much rather have some carbon fiber than the piano black trim. I'm also trying to get my hands on the carbon M performance wing, so I guess I caught a carbon fiber bug.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2022, 07:49 PM   #25
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240ix

My install!

10/10 quality and fit worth the $200 USD.

9.5/10 install by me LOL

Yes the little piece and door sucked.

Good enough to me.

Patience and prep and trial before you stick.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2022, 08:25 PM   #26
Vudumonkey25
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcelir8bmw View Post
My install!

9.5/10 install by me LOL

Good enough to me.

Looks great!
I rolled the dice with the steering wheel trim from automodz. Ordered 2/25. Was a little worried but it finally shipped via ups today (3/10). so we'll see in a few days
I've heard they always have a large delay and since the take paypal either I got it or I got my money back
'22 M240i BSM, Shadowline, Black 791M wheels, Red Calipers, ///M Carbon Front Lip, ///M Carbon Spoiler, ///MCarbon Door Sills, Milltek Catback w/Black Tips, Dinan Carbon Intake/Engine Cover, AA Catted DP, Dalher Valve Controller, OEM+ Strut Bar, Red Start/Stop, Floating center caps, TLG Mud Flaps, Black Badges, Led Projectors, 50th Emblems, Carbon Diffuser/Mirrors w/smoke signals/Side Wings/Cooling Shroud/KIES fire extinguisher, Yellow DRL
Appreciate 1
      03-11-2022, 07:18 AM   #27
Jets3tter
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i xDrive G42

Quote:
My install!

9.5/10 install by me LOL

Good enough to me.

Carbon looks pretty nice, it is more flush than I would have expected which is a good surprise. I noticed you have the cockpit plus rather than the cockpit professional all the press models have. How do you like it? Would it be possible to get a picture of the cluster when the vehicle is on? I’m still debating whether I should go with cockpit plus or upgrade to professional for the all-digital cluster but I’m not sure it provides that much more functionality.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2022, 07:53 AM   #28
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets3tter View Post
Quote:
My install!

9.5/10 install by me LOL

Good enough to me.

Carbon looks pretty nice, it is more flush than I would have expected which is a good surprise. I noticed you have the cockpit plus rather than the cockpit professional all the press models have. How do you like it? Would it be possible to get a picture of the cluster when the vehicle is on? I'm still debating whether I should go with cockpit plus or upgrade to professional for the all-digital cluster but I'm not sure it provides that much more functionality.

I much prefer than the pro.

More digital info between digital analog speedo and tach than my X2M35i with HUD.

So much that I am very satisfied that I no longer am worried that I do not have HUD.

I like it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2022, 09:01 PM   #29
240idax
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW m240i

I installed my aliexpress carbon fiber as well. Install was pretty easy and the quality is incredible for the price.

My one gripe is the trim on the passenger has a small dip in it that refracts light differently and is slightly noticeable, but I still cannot complain. The pieces are flush and fit perfectly.

I also installed the alcantara kneepads (https://www.bmwpartspros.com/oem-par...ds-51955a271b6)
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-11-2022, 09:12 PM   #30
Vudumonkey25
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240idax View Post
I installed my aliexpress carbon fiber as well. Install was pretty easy and the quality is incredible for the price.

My one gripe is the trim on the passenger has a small dip in it that refracts light differently and is slightly noticeable, but I still cannot complain. The pieces are flush and fit perfectly.

I also installed the alcantara kneepads (https://www.bmwpartspros.com/oem-par...ds-51955a271b6)
How was the install on the knee pads?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2022, 09:56 PM   #31
240idax
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW m240i

Quote:
How was the install on the knee pads?
Just need to remove the center trim around the shifter, but it is a real PITA. Everything comes off easily except two tabs at the front that you can't see and if you try to force will break some of the plastic/tabs under the trim (not the trim itself). I ended up breaking one piece of plastic under the trim but not a connector. Was easy to superglue it back to normal.

I followed the instruction pdf from this post which covers it pretty well but it's still hard to figure out where to push for those tabs without figuring it our yourself. Basically have to go in from the front (cupholder side) with a trim removal tool and push 45% downward angle into the trim crack very hard.

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1705095
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2022, 09:42 PM   #32
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Saw this

RQING for BMW New 3 Series 330i Sedan G20 2019 2020 2021 Front Center Console Dashboard Panel Cup Holder Cover Trims Carbon Fiber Pattern https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V8HCFLD...4FC9RK513G4VS9

Similar stuff, different brand, on how I went nuts on my X2M35i, it was that good I spent $750.00 on everything I could get my hands in. It was amazing.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2022, 06:31 PM   #33
Vudumonkey25
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Automodz.ca carbon steering wheel trim
Ordered 2/25.
shipped via ups 3/10
Delivered 3/18

Came nicely packaged and easy to install.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Golddog566.50
      03-24-2022, 09:24 PM   #34
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW M240i

Do these pieces stick good to the aluminum trim or is it better/easier to go with piano black?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2022, 09:45 PM   #35
Vudumonkey25
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPR View Post
Do these pieces stick good to the aluminum trim or is it better/easier to go with piano black?
Unsure. I did it on the piano. If you have a choice and plan on this then I'd say the smooth gloss of the piano is the best bet
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2022, 12:22 AM   #36
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I did mine on the plastic but the aluminum will work fine too. Its all about the 3M tape. You can always pick up more on Amazon if it does not work for you, that is what I did for years, get better tape!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2022, 08:50 AM   #37
mechman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
If you are going to install this piece, you might as well save the upcharge for aluminum trim and choose gloss black to pay for the CF trim.

In theory, it should also help having a smoother and even surface on the gloass black to stick them on as others have stated.
Park asst pkg
HK audio
Aluminum trim
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2022, 09:59 AM   #38
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yeah, after posting I was thinking may as well go gloss black to help the adhesive and save some money. Thanks
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2022, 12:00 PM   #39
Golddog
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 Alfa Romeo Stelvio

Changed my order from the aluminum back to the gloss black today. Plan is to change it to the carbon fiber at some point. No sense on paying extra $150 for the aluminum if the plan is to cover or replace it.
      03-25-2022, 12:02 PM   #40
Golddog
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Automodz.ca carbon steering wheel trim
Ordered 2/25.
shipped via ups 3/10
Delivered 3/18

Came nicely packaged and easy to install.
Vudu, did the Automodz carbon fiber match pretty close to the AliExpress stuff?
      03-25-2022, 12:39 PM   #41
Vudumonkey25
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddog View Post
Vudu, did the Automodz carbon fiber match pretty close to the AliExpress stuff?
Yep same weave and color. I'm sure it came from the same place in China.

Wheel kit is very good fitment while I would say the 5 piece cover is excellent. Certainly angles and the closeness you are to the wheel let's you see a little silver trim stick through.

Very happy with it though.

Next up some paddle.shifters
Appreciate 2
Golddog566.50
      03-29-2022, 06:48 PM   #42
Evilmoretea
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 Series (G42)

Anyone with experience on installing this with the Aluminium trim? I specced mine with the aluminium trim and it's too late to change back now, but I'd love this upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2022, 07:31 PM   #43
Golddog
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilmoretea View Post
Anyone with experience on installing this with the Aluminium trim? I specced mine with the aluminium trim and it's too late to change back now, but I'd love this upgrade.
I changed to a stick down carbon fiber on my 19 Corvette because the aluminum console got scratched and dinged on delivery. I was planning on covering it anyways as I did not like the dull, aluminum look. I had absolutely no issues with it sticking to the aluminum at all. It was solid.
      04-03-2022, 06:50 PM   #44
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Has anyone bought the 8 piece kit and have pics/feedback?

Edit: nevermind, I think it'll be too much having the side pieces

Last edited by MPR; 04-03-2022 at 08:09 PM..
Appreciate 0