Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werkz12 View Post
Thicker paint is NOT better. Do yourself a favor and do some reading on diminished value and how to spot bodywork/repairs before you purchase another vehicle - will save you headache and $$$
I don’t care about diminished value. I was asking whether having thick paint is better for the car or not. Again, never mind.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 12:51 PM   #90
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Thicker paint is NOT better. Do yourself a favor and do some reading on diminished value and how to spot bodywork/repairs before you purchase another vehicle - will save you headache and $$$
Rolls Royce wouldn't agree with you, they are always above 175 microns / 7 mil in paint thickness. Koenigsegg is generally the thickest factory paint at 750 microns / 30 mil.
Appreciate 2
M2siast5947.50
      03-11-2024, 12:52 PM   #91
Werkz12
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABCAT View Post
Exactly, the used car manager looks at the vehicle for 10 seconds, maybe drives it, then tells you what they'll give you. They don't even look for scratches let alone check for paint thickness. My last 4 trade-ins were all done via me sending pics and specs to the dealer through email, and they sending me the offer. This poster is trying to make up an issue where there is none.
^ except that it IS an issue with the paint as confirmed by BMW.

may not be an issue or concern to you, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist as you claim
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 04:00 PM   #92
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

Quote:
^ except that it IS an issue with the paint as confirmed by BMW.

may not be an issue or concern to you, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist as you claim
There is no issue upon resale for a vehicle that was fixed prior to sale. Vehicles are damaged all the time in shipping, delivery, etc. They get fixed, touched up, what have you & nobody is the wiser. You're making into something that will never happen (e.g., diminished value).
Appreciate 1
M2siast5947.50
      03-11-2024, 05:37 PM   #93
Werkz12
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABCAT View Post
There is no issue upon resale for a vehicle that was fixed prior to sale. Vehicles are damaged all the time in shipping, delivery, etc. They get fixed, touched up, what have you & nobody is the wiser. You're making into something that will never happen (e.g., diminished value).
If nobody is the wiser what are we talking about?

Lots of people can spot paint work - which is exactly how this entire situation came to be. I was able to determine this brand new M2 had been resprayed.

3 years from now there is no way to ‘prove’ your car was painted pre-sale. All that would be known at that time is the car was resprayed and that raises a lot of questions (usually paint work is from an accident)

You are correct- cars are sometimes fixed presale and legally the manufacturer/dealer has to tell buyers. In this case the fix was repainting the entire car.

BMW has decided it’s not important to inform buyers. Very disappointing.
The communication I received from BMW states “report isn’t able to be given out as it’s a in internal calibration review that has “proprietary information on it””

If you are comfortable buying a brand new car that has a factory flaw like this that’s cool. I expect my brand new car to be brand new.

“Its only original once” and a full respray for a brand new $70k bmw doesn’t work for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 05:48 PM   #94
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
Rolls Royce wouldn't agree with you, they are always above 175 microns / 7 mil in paint thickness. Koenigsegg is generally the thickest factory paint at 750 microns / 30 mil.
Thanks aerobod. So it is “better”… I guess we’re splitting hairs about someone gauging the paint in the future and thinking the car had been repainted. I’d run that risk myself, no worries. We can see when paint is botched. This would not have been the case by BMW, I’m sure.
Appreciate 1
aerobod3707.50