home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Wheels / Tires

05-02-2023, 07:21 PM   #67
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep
Drives: Super73

⚠️ WARNING ⚠️

If you’re removing OEM wheels with spacers and extended lug bolts, be sure to go back to the OEM lugs with these wheels.

I just assumed there was a deep void inside the hub and I installed the extended lugs on the first Apex wheel replacement. When rotating the front wheel while on the floor jack I heard a faint rubbing sound and assumed the Continental 265’s were a little too wide and rubbing on the strut.

I put flour on the inside of the tire, a colored marker, and even some red paint in hopes of finding the rub…nothing. I then took my stolen Whataburger #69 placard off my toolbox and passed it between the tire and strut with success. I decided to just leave it and chalked it up to the axle making the rubbing sound.

I moved on to the left front and this time screwed a lug bolt about 15-16 turns and then turned the caliper. Sure enough it made a faint rubbing sound. I backed the lug bolt out several turns and no sound. I then used a flashlight to look through the lug holes into the hub and noticed a metal ring at the very bottom and at the end of the threads.

Turns out the extended lug bolts would pass over that ring, but make enough contact to rub it when the wheel turns. I then pulled the OEM lug bolts out of the cabinet, installed them, and no more rubbing sound!

Just a FYI on the rare occasion someone duplicates my situation.
Appreciate 2
Coconut751.00
VegasG42373.50
      05-03-2023, 06:31 AM   #68
Mike_H_
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240ix, 370z, Highlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC3LLR8 View Post
My favorite angle…
Did you keep any of the spacers with the wider wheel or remove front and back?

DWS 06 PLUS is also my tire choice they stiffened the sidewall 35% when they introduced the PLUS version and at 24 pounds, it's the lightest 265/35/19 and very competent in all conditions.

I'll never track this car, it makes more to go with the best ultra high-performance all-season. It gets cold here in winters, rarely not frigid, very little snow, but below temp for ultra high-performance summer tires, heck, it was 42 degrees overnight 5/3.

Last edited by Mike_H_; 05-03-2023 at 06:33 AM.. Reason: expand question
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 08:00 AM   #69
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_H_ View Post

DWS 06 PLUS is also my tire choice they stiffened the sidewall 35% when they introduced the PLUS version and at 24 pounds, it's the lightest 265/35/19 and very competent in all conditions.

I'll never track this car, it makes more to go with the best ultra high-performance all-season. It gets cold here in winters, rarely not frigid, very little snow, but below temp for ultra high-performance summer tires, heck, it was 42 degrees overnight 5/3.
All spacers were removed. It's pretty much a perfect fit with the arches from the ZTK package.

I've pretty much been married to Michelin for as long as I can remember, but I went the Continental DWS 06 Plus route for the same reasons you mentioned. I've always preached "all season tires are no season tires", but as with most things technology changes and improvements are made. With these tires it's hard to justify a dedicated summer tire that may be questionable on a mountain road trip in Spring when temps and conditions are less than ideal, especially since this car will never see a track.

I have a set of winter tires (mountain icon) mounted on the OEM wheels that I'll keep in the garage in the event I make a trip to the mountains in winter, as some of the passes require either chains or the mountain icon on the sidewall to proceed.

Regarding weights:
  • Apex 19x9.5 w/Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 Plus 265/35: 43.6 lbs.
  • BMW 893M 8.5” w/Michelin PS4S 245/35: 51.4 lbs. + 13mm spacer: 51.8 lbs.
  • BMW 893M 9.5” w/Michelin PS4S 255/35: 54.6 lbs. + 13mm spacer: 55.0 lb.s

Apex/tire total weight: 174.4 lbs.
893M/tire total weight w/13mm spacers (1.6 lbs.): 213.6 lbs.
Total unsprung weight savings: 39.2 lbs.
Appreciate 2
      05-03-2023, 08:19 AM   #70
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Also forgot to mention that much of the vague steering feel this car is known for has significantly improved with the wider front tires (265).

Not sure how anyone expected a 2-ton car (with driver) with 225-245 front tires being extremely communicative? Sure, the electric steering could provide more feedback, but skinny front feet on a pig can only do so much.
Appreciate 1
Coconut751.00
      05-03-2023, 12:08 PM   #71
Expert@ApexWheels
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
⚠️ WARNING ⚠️

If you’re removing OEM wheels with spacers and extended lug bolts, be sure to go back to the OEM lugs with these wheels.

I just assumed there was a deep void inside the hub and I installed the extended lugs on the first Apex wheel replacement. When rotating the front wheel while on the floor jack I heard a faint rubbing sound and assumed the Continental 265’s were a little too wide and rubbing on the strut.

I put flour on the inside of the tire, a colored marker, and even some red paint in hopes of finding the rub…nothing. I then took my stolen Whataburger #69 placard off my toolbox and passed it between the tire and strut with success. I decided to just leave it and chalked it up to the axle making the rubbing sound.

I moved on to the left front and this time screwed a lug bolt about 15-16 turns and then turned the caliper. Sure enough it made a faint rubbing sound. I backed the lug bolt out several turns and no sound. I then used a flashlight to look through the lug holes into the hub and noticed a metal ring at the very bottom and at the end of the threads.

Turns out the extended lug bolts would pass over that ring, but make enough contact to rub it when the wheel turns. I then pulled the OEM lug bolts out of the cabinet, installed them, and no more rubbing sound!

Just a FYI on the rare occasion someone duplicates my situation.
Good callout. A rare situation but switching back to the stock length hardware is definitely the right move. You probably saved a few grams with the shorter bolts

Quote:
All spacers were removed. It's pretty much a perfect fit with the arches from the ZTK package.

I've pretty much been married to Michelin for as long as I can remember, but I went the Continental DWS 06 Plus route for the same reasons you mentioned. I've always preached "all season tires are no season tires", but as with most things technology changes and improvements are made. With these tires it's hard to justify a dedicated summer tire that may be questionable on a mountain road trip in Spring when temps and conditions are less than ideal, especially since this car will never see a track.

I have a set of winter tires (mountain icon) mounted on the OEM wheels that I'll keep in the garage in the event I make a trip to the mountains in winter, as some of the passes require either chains or the mountain icon on the sidewall to proceed.

Regarding weights:
  • Apex 19x9.5 w/Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 Plus 265/35: 43.6 lbs.
  • BMW 893M 8.5” w/Michelin PS4S 245/35: 51.4 lbs. + 13mm spacer: 51.8 lbs.
  • BMW 893M 9.5” w/Michelin PS4S 255/35: 54.6 lbs. + 13mm spacer: 55.0 lb.s

Apex/tire total weight: 174.4 lbs.
893M/tire total weight w/13mm spacers (1.6 lbs.): 213.6 lbs.
Total unsprung weight savings: 39.2 lbs.
Love this weight comparison! I think you mentioned your son also had an A90 Supra. He can actually run this set of wheels on his car as that's what they were originally developed for (to be paired with our 19x11 ET40 for a staggered setup). Glad you're enjoying the set!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_H_ View Post

The DWS 06+ is a great tire. I had the older non + version on my 3 series for rain/snow in Portland and they worked great in terms of grip in the wet but their sidewalls were so soft. It was like driving on marshmallows.

Thanks for sharing the photos! I'm going to add the on-car shots to our online galleries with your Bimmerpost Usernames credited, but I'd be happy to re-tag or remove albums if needed. Enjoy the wheels!

-Tom
      05-03-2023, 12:17 PM   #72
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expert@ApexRaceParts View Post
Love this weight comparison! I think you mentioned your son also had an A90 Supra. He can actually run this set of wheels on his car as that's what they were originally developed for (to be paired with our 19x11 ET40 for a staggered setup). Glad you're enjoying the set!

-Tom
Yep, he's chomp'n at the bit for a set of Apex! But as an E4 in the Air Force, and with a car that costs about $20K more than he makes in a year, he'll just have to settle for looking at pics of mine!
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2023, 03:19 PM   #73
Nate48
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i xDrive

Does anyone have pics of a Brooklyn Grey with either the Satin Black, or Anthracite in the VS-5RS wheels?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2023, 04:02 PM   #74
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate48 View Post
Does anyone have pics of a Brooklyn Grey with either the Satin Black, or Anthracite in the VS-5RS wheels?
Give me a week of not washing the Brushed Aluminum VS-5RS wheels and I'll show you what Anthracite looks like on Brookly Grey.
Appreciate 4
ap2x21.00
Coconut751.00
Nate48150.00
Sonic RR118.50
      08-02-2023, 07:39 AM   #75
Nate48
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Give me a week of not washing the Brushed Aluminum VS-5RS wheels and I'll show you what Anthracite looks like on Brookly Grey.
Nice
Appreciate 0