home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics

08-24-2023, 06:34 PM   #1
Fastfwd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '24 G87 M2

Personal eSIM 5G Worth It?

I'm sure this has been discussed here and I'm looking for any discussions, but I am in the middle of placing my order and I could use some quick advice.

Personally, I can't imagine modifying my Verizon plan to add this for what it seems to offer now, but I'm worried that maybe it will become more useful in the future? I love Youtube, but not for an extra $20 a month just to watch it while I'm parked on the rare occasion.

Also, since I see mention of over the air updates being faster with the 5g it makes me wonder if whatever it uses without it (4g?) might one day become obsolete and no longer function? Like 3g for example. Is it worth future proofing your car to have this? I'm sure there are no plans in the near future to axe 4g, but nevertheless.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 06:44 PM   #2
Fastfwd
Private First Class
Rep

This is my concern regarding this. In part at least. Beyond what future functionality it may provide.

4g is not set to sunset until 2030 according to this, but that's still not all that long out from now.

https://www.digi.com/blog/post/4g-to...e-be-available
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2023, 01:42 AM   #3
Fastfwd
Private First Class
Rep

I think I'm going to see if they can add it back in to my options.

https://www.newsweek.com/what-does-5...g-away-1665915
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 05:54 AM   #4
rogueGTI
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: C63s AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastfwd View Post
I'm sure this has been discussed here and I'm looking for any discussions, but I am in the middle of placing my order and I could use some quick advice.

Personally, I can't imagine modifying my Verizon plan to add this for what it seems to offer now, but I'm worried that maybe it will become more useful in the future? I love Youtube, but not for an extra $20 a month just to watch it while I'm parked on the rare occasion.
Just reviving this thread -

What do you mean “YouTube” is there an app in the g87? I don’t see this .. (I’m in Australia)..

I too am considering whether or not I should get the personal Sim reader and if it is worth to
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 10:40 AM   #5
Angmar
Private
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 2024

I have the 5G Esim in my G87 and have it activated with my cell company for 19.99 a month. If I could go back I probably wouldn't get it and instead would've spent that money on the wireless charger instead. All it really does is turn your idrive into a cell phone essentially. You will have the ability to setup a wifi network in the car for devices to use and can take phone calls even if you don't have your phone with you. Thats really all it does....Doesn't enable anything you can't already do or any apps that aren't on there.
Appreciate 1