F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Should I buy?
ARMA SPEED

05-07-2024, 09:36 AM   #1
DDTOJ
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 430i convertible

Should I buy?

Hi All

I am new here and don't own a BMW - yet. I'm shopping for 430i hardtop convertible, found a 2017 with 65K that seems interesting, currently on the lot at a BMW dealership. Unfortunately it is NOT in my area so if I proceed I would be buying car sight unseen (outside of detailed facetime walkaround, etc), which I have never done before.

The service records show that the dealer just replaced the expansion tank and the water pump due to leaking. In my research, it seems there is a common issue with a hose breaking from the expansion tank, I don't know if that's been replaced or not. Obviously there's always a certain amount of finger-crossing when buying used, but would you educated Bimmer-folks steer clear of this car? Or trust the almighty BMW dealer that all is fixed and there is no issue lurking?

Thanks for your input
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 04:20 AM   #2
scubajim
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F33

I purchased mine from a car dealer in Tennessee. I live in Connecticut. I had them take pictures and videos, I also paid to have them take it to a local BMW dealership for a PPI (pre-purchase inspection). I arranged to have the car shipped up and I love the car. I have owned it for a year and by watching videos, doing research and scanning the forums I have discovered the most common failure points and have tried to address them before they became true issues. I know there were some changes in 2017 so I'm not familiar with the differnces from 2016.
      05-11-2024, 11:30 AM   #3
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTOJ View Post
Hi All

I am new here and don't own a BMW - yet. I'm shopping for 430i hardtop convertible, found a 2017 with 65K that seems interesting, currently on the lot at a BMW dealership. Unfortunately it is NOT in my area so if I proceed I would be buying car sight unseen (outside of detailed facetime walkaround, etc), which I have never done before.

The service records show that the dealer just replaced the expansion tank and the water pump due to leaking. In my research, it seems there is a common issue with a hose breaking from the expansion tank, I don't know if that's been replaced or not. Obviously there's always a certain amount of finger-crossing when buying used, but would you educated Bimmer-folks steer clear of this car? Or trust the almighty BMW dealer that all is fixed and there is no issue lurking?

Thanks for your input
The most important elements ...

- How many owners drove this vehicle?

- Other than the recent service records, is there a verifiable list of all service records? Many BMW owners who care about their vehicles will cheerfilly provide a USB drive with all service records, parts orders, etc. I am one of them

If the deal is very attractive, finding a local shop to perform PPI (Pre Purchase Inspection) would be recommended.
Appreciate 0