BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

08-14-2023, 04:49 PM   #1
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240x, 2007 Honda VFR

One thing you Don't like about your M240

I've been holding off on mentioning this, but it does bug me, and i realize it may be a bit of nitpicking, but I'll vent a bit about it here.

The one thing is the cruise control, and specifically how it automatically cuts off when it experiences a certain side loading or certain g forces in cornering.

For example at a 62mph cruise set, a posted 45mph corner will cause the cruise to disengage (and i suspect braking as well as some times its an abrupt deceleration). Now i can see this as a safety feature, but not on a supposed drivers car with a "M" badge. Example, one road i drive often is mostly straights, and then you come across 2 linked 45 mph corners, cruise at 65 will abruptly shut off as one approaches apex, then rapidly accelerates back to cruise speed as the corner unwinds, but then you are into the next corner and it shuts down again, and then accelerates again. First time i experienced this was wtf? It's just that if i have a route that is 90 plus percent straight i use cruise.

Now i know all i gotta do is override the cruise, but then I've never had cruise do this in any of my cars. Is that becoming normal? For those that have other newer cars, is this normal?

It's just that especially with a "drivers" car i would think this should be disabled if desired, but i guess we are getting more into the nanny state were the car does the thinking so we can drive with half a brain. It does this in any mode, sport or comfort. This is just my little petty gripe. no biggie.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 05:39 PM   #2
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW M240i

This is all I have after almost 1 year of ownership. I never use cruise so I have no feedback on your issue.

1. The impact sensors sometimes make the brakes engage when I'm trying to pull into my garage, meanwhile I have around 1 foot of clearance at all areas. It's also happened a few times when backing into my driveway if the pavement is wet.
2. The auto engine stop feature could be more intelligent. Sometimes it won't engage when I expect it should. Also, when parking at work I pull into a spot to back into another and the engine will stop for a split second as I stop to transition from D to R. They should add a 3 second delay to counter this situation to keep the motor running.
3. I can't reproduce this but it's happened a few times, possibly when I go into Sport individual but not 100% sure on the cause. My trip data will switch from Refueling (which I prefer) to Individual. I then have to navigate in the menu to switch it back to Refueling.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 06:40 PM   #3
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i

I’ll preface this by saying I love this car. Did a lot of research and this car is nearly perfect for me and what I currently want / need in a vehicle. One slightly major complaint:

Rear suspension thump. There is a thread about this, but I still have the rear suspension thump sound from the passenger side. Only really notice it in sport suspension, but it’s there. Seems like there is no official fix as of yet.
Appreciate 2
G42M240135.50
Roadwar128.50
      08-14-2023, 06:53 PM   #4
nype
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i / BMW X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPR View Post
1. The impact sensors sometimes make the brakes engage when I'm trying to pull into my garage, meanwhile I have around 1 foot of clearance at all areas. It's also happened a few times when backing into my driveway if the pavement is wet.
Can’t auto braking when parking be turned off in the settings?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 06:57 PM   #5
nype
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Loving it so far. I find Spotify app a bit glitchy but could be many things. Otherwise, just wish they’d hadn’t removed the 2022 features like lower door panel ambient lighting, lower dash cubby, rear seat usb ports, and a traditional gear shifter.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 07:03 PM   #6
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nype View Post
Maybe but I do still want it, when it works correctly
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 07:30 PM   #7
redcars
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228xi

I don't like how the blind spot/lane keep goes off when I'm on the outside of two left turn lanes.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 07:31 PM   #8
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep
Drives: Super73

• Sensors having a mind of their own when backing out of the garage. Sometimes it's like a horse not wanting to leave the barn.
  • Carplay having a mind of its own and randomly not connecting (not too frequent)
  • Dimmest reverse lights of any car since the 1970's
  • Can't back-up with door ajar
  • No factory protection for oil cooler on ZTK package
  • Locked DME
  • Moonroof open/close isn't a single push - FIXED
  • Auto start/stop cannot be permanently disengaged from factory (common problem with many cars)
  • No dipstick
  • No lugnuts
  • Excessive brake dust
  • No A/C or heater controls from app w/remote start
  • Distracting honeycomb graphics and lack of long needles for tach and speedometer (not quick to visually pick-up)
  • No ventilated seats

Last edited by XC3LLR8; 08-15-2023 at 11:46 AM..
Appreciate 3
Sonic RR127.50
redcars102.00
viperx100629.00
      08-14-2023, 08:15 PM   #9
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

XC3LLR8 The moonroof opens/closes with 1 push for me
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 09:22 PM   #10
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
XC3LLR8 The moonroof opens/closes with 1 push for me
Like the windows?? 🤔
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 09:24 PM   #11
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC3LLR8 View Post
Like the windows?? 🤔
Yeah, exactly like the windows. Hard press on the moonroof button fully opens or closes it. It will not close the glass followed by the fabric shade, if that's what you're talking about. Speaking from one or the other with a hard press, not both.
Appreciate 1
XC3LLR82062.50
      08-14-2023, 09:27 PM   #12
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, exactly like the windows. Hard press on the moonroof button fully opens or closes it. It will not close the glass followed by the fabric shade, if that's what you're talking about. Speaking from one or the other with a hard press, not both.
Ok, I’ll give it a hard press tomorrow and see what happens. 👍
Appreciate 1
MPR1820.50
      08-14-2023, 09:55 PM   #13
Coconut
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i xDrive

1. RATTLES. I spend a good amount of time fixing rattles only for another one to appear.

2. Backup camera is nearly unusable during night time. Everything is fine for 5 seconds then either the backup lights or the screen brightness is reduced to nearly nothing.

Other than that I have no complaints. The B58, ZF8 and X-Drive have all proven to be fairly robust, it’s the rest of the car that I’m worried about when it comes to long term reliability.
KO768.00
BlueLEDz153.00
      08-14-2023, 10:22 PM   #14
nype
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Maybe but I do still want it, when it works correctly
Looks like it can only be temporarily deactivated. Would be nice to be able to code settings like this to “permanent”.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Sonic RR127.50
      08-14-2023, 10:23 PM   #15
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut View Post
1. RATTLES. I spend a good amount of time fixing rattles only for another one to appear.

2. Backup camera is nearly unusable during night time. Everything is fine for 5 seconds then either the backup lights or the screen brightness is reduced to nearly nothing.

Other than that I have no complaints. The B58, ZF8 and X-Drive have all proven to be fairly robust, it’s the rest of the car that I’m worried about when it comes to long term reliability.
When do you hear rattles, just when cruising with music off? Any other conditions that make you hear rattles?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 10:35 PM   #16
Coconut
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i xDrive

Quote:
When do you hear rattles, just when cruising with music off? Any other conditions that make you hear rattles?
List of rattles in order of appearance.

1. Passenger seatbelt receptacle rattle. Audible nearly all the time even just cruising on smooth roads. The push button receptacle spring wasn’t seated currently, I wacked it hard a few times and fixed it.

2. ID8 screen rattle. Heard going over small to medium bumps in the road. Fixed by wedging some rubber between the screen and dash.

3. Rear deck rattle when going over medium bumps or or bumpy roads. Disassembled entire rear interior and put some foam tape between the long plastic rear deck vent and the metal rear deck. Fixed now.

4. Driver side door handle sounds like styrofoam popping when opening and closing the door. I tugged it a few times hard with the door closed and it’s fixed, for now.

5. New and most annoying rattle. Sounds like plastic on plastic rubbing in the HUD/dash area when going over bumpy roads. Already confirmed it’s nothing in the engine bay. I checked and decoupled the cowl, x2 cowl covers, engine cover, wiper fluid lines and wiper fluid reservoir. It’s not the center channel speaker grille either. Next steps would be to pry off the HUD trim or remove the ID8 screen so see if anything is loose back there.
      08-15-2023, 02:09 AM   #17
dy444
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i xDrive

I have 3 rather than one. I admit they are generic G platform/iDrive 8 rather than G42 specific

Voice control. I've had a love-hate relationship with this on previous generation iDrives - mainly hate actually. Everybody and his wife said it was now a wonder and we didn't need the climate and memory buttons. Well it isn't. When I first got the car, it seemed to work ok most of the time. Over time though it's got worse and worse and it now frequently takes 2 or 3 goes for it do what I've asked for. Mostly it does nothing but sometimes it does something completely different to what I've asked which is annoying and often a distraction whilst you try to unpick what it did and get back to where you were. Some things it just won't do - occasionally it tells you that the thing in question is not available via voice control but mostly it just sits there. It is living down to my worst pre-purchase concerns.

External lighting controls. All my previous BMWs had a rotary switch with one (or two) adjacent buttons for the fog lamps. The rotary switch was easy to find and change without looking away from the road. Now we have a panel with two rows of buttons which I find impossible to operate without looking at them. Ah leave it in Auto I hear you cry. I would if it actually put the headlights on when it was raining. It hasn't yet and I've had to do it manually, and, I have not yet been able to persuade voice control to put the headlamps on (see previous item).

RTTI. This is a personal bugbear of mine. Why is it that BMW is incapable of presenting traffic information in a straight forward, legible and useful way? This version is a bit better than its predecessors but it still falls way short. The real frustration is that the system has all the information to hand but BMW just seem incapable of displaying it in a way that is useful and which you can readily assimilate whilst driving. It gives the impression that nobody working on RTTI at BMW has ever driven a car and so didn't even think about the UI being appropriate for use whilst on the move. For example, the delay events on the RTTI widget tile couldn't be harder to see if they'd deliberately selected the colour and font to make them illegible.
G42 M240i xDrive. Brooklyn Grey, 19" Bicolour Double-spoke style 893 M alloy wheels with performance tyres, Technology Plus Pack, M Adaptive Suspension, Harman/Kardon Surround Sound Audio System, Heated Steering Wheel, Aluminium Rhombicle Interior Trim
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2023, 08:29 AM   #18
Keith_C
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nype View Post
It can but I keep mine on (G20 3 Series) as I reverse close to my garage and a few times it's prevented me from hitting it. It's just occasionally when reversing up my drive it slams the anchors on when it sees the small kerb in between mine and my neighbours drive and makes you look an idiot.

It's also done it when reversing into a parking space between 2 cars when I know I'm clear either side as I always use my mirrors instead of the camera, can be quite frustrating and embarrassing when someone is trying to pass you whilst doing so.

But, it is only occasionally and the benefits outweigh the negatives for me.
M240i - Thundernight Metallic - Cognac Interior - M Technology Pack - Technology Plus Pack - Comfort Pack - HK - Driving Assistant - M Adaptive Suspension - 19" 893 M Double-spoke Bicolour Alloy Wheels - Aluminium Rhombicle Interior Trim
Appreciate 3
MPR1820.50
nype139.50
      08-15-2023, 08:56 AM   #19
BG42
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240ix

That it's currently in ga and I'm stuck in Michigan driving the suv around.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 11:34 AM   #20
bobkat09
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i RWD

On id8 I’d like to be able to manually turn on and adjust the

heated seats without going into the climate menu and then

turn off the auto function
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 11:39 AM   #21
LivingInSalt
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240i

iD8 graphics. No reason they don't include an option for traditional looking gauges
Appreciate 3
redcars102.00
nype139.50
KO768.00
      08-15-2023, 11:48 AM   #22
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
You da man! I was just never pushing hard enough.
Appreciate 1
MPR1820.50